AB 2061

  • Noel Adams
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2000
      I was taking a look over AB 2061 and the good news is that it should apply to the Solectria Force.

      Basically, you can claim up to $3,000 a year for three years to offset the additional cost of the EV over the equivalent ICE. The way it would appear to work is that if the Force costs say 27,000 and the equivalent GEO Metro cost 16,000 then you could claim the difference between the price of the ICE + $1,000 and the price of the EV.

      In the above example, 27,000 - (16,000 + 1,000) = 10,000. Based on this difference you would be able to deduct $3,000 each year from your state income tax for 3 years. The Force would then have cost you 18,000.

      On the other hand, if the cost of the ICE was $18,000 then you could claim 27,000 - (18,000 + 1,000) = 8,000.
      You would them be able to offset 3,000, 3,000 and 2,000 of state taxes over the next 3 years and the cost of the Force would be $19,000.

      Don't know how realistic these examples are but they should give a good idea of the way the bill appears to work.

      Solectria should begin to push the Force her in California before CARB forces the Big 5 to start shipping EVs again. If they could get a dealership here in Southern CA. I have heared several people say they would look into buying one and AB 2061 is a big incentive.

      Free Unlimited Internet Access! Try it now!
      http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/altavista/index.html

    • Craig Childers
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2000
        If OEM EVs are not readily available in the next 2 years, Solectria's
        probably will be.
        I'm not sure if this is altogether good or bad.
        I'm concerned with warranty & service of Solectrias.

        mcc