Re: [solectria_ev] Battery Issues - Winter Temps - Range and Testing

  • Gordon Stallings
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 12, 2011
      If you have power in the garage, you can use it to run the heating
      pads beneath the batteries to keep them warm. If your charger is like
      mine, it won't shut off when the batteries are fully charged. In that
      situation, you can unplug the charger but leave the heating mats on
      during the winter so that you don't overcharge the pack or consume
      unnecessary electricity from the mains.
      --Gordon Stallings--

    • gjc0@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 12, 2011
        DK Stengel:

        Batteries (I assume gel lead-acid) should be fully charged for best storage.

        Gels do not loose their charge as easily as flooded lead - acid.
        Also, when a lead - acid battery discharges, its electrolyte turns to water which is subject to freezing.
        A frozen lead - acid battery is generally worth the value of the lead it contains and no more.

        A fully charged lead - acid battery's electrolyte is sulfuric acid which has a much lower freezing point.
        (Below 0 degrees F)

        If you have another type of battery, check the specifications online or with a knowledgeable battery person.

        It may also be advisable to disconnect the battery so they are not discharged by a phantom load like a clock or DC-DC converter.

        Sincerely,
        Gary Carlson

        Tire pressures can drop in cold weather. Make sure your tires are
        inflated properly.
        --Gordon Stallings--

        On Dec 12, 2011, at 10:00 AM, m wrote:

        > I'm starting to have a range issue.
        > The weather is getting colder.
        > The past few winters even in the single digits was fine.
        >
        > I'm wondering if it's a single battery that is the problem.
        > Does anyone know a way to test a gel battery without an expensive
        > Midtronics type tester? I don't own one.
        > How can I tell if the heating pads are working ?
        > How warm do they get ?
        > I have a non contact thermometer.
        >
        > The batteries have over 15k on them from new.
        >
        > One trip was only 20 miles and I went into limp mode.
        > Today it was 32 deg. and my commute to work took 13ah - about 14
        > miles.
        > I usually use under 10ah to get to work with plenty of pep left over.
        > Today I barely crawled the last 1/4 mile up a slight grade to my
        > charging spot at work.
        >
        > I have the 19 cell - Deka gel set up.

      • Ken Olum
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 12, 2011
          I see no reason to keep your batteries warm. Charge them first, then
          disconnect everything from the batteries: the "service disconnect"
          under the hood, the controller, and the charger. Then there will be
          no drain on your batteries. Now and then you might want to plug
          back in your charger for a bit so that your batteries are charged back
          up from any self-discharge. Once a month is certainly sufficient.
          Probably even 3 months is OK for gels.

          Ken
        • m
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 18, 2011
            How do you power just the heating pads ?

            Is it just 12 volts to each one ?

            I picked up a used Accuracy Plus battery tester.
            I'll test each battery and see if I have a bad one.
          • m
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 18, 2011
              How warm do they actually get ?

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 19, 2011
                The Force batter heating pads (at least in my car) are intended to run
                on 240VAC. If I recall correctly the power is something like 150W in
                each compartment. To use them the without the charger, plug the car
                in to 240V but unplug the charger from the inside of the car. I would
                not expect them to get noticeably hot when they have batteries on
                them, but you can measure the current draw to see that they are
                working. Of coarse they will only draw power when it is cold in the
                compartment.

                Or, just measure the temperature in the compartments when it is cold
                outside and you have not been driving or charging for at least 24
                hours. It's easy to put a temperature probe through the hole on the
                passenger side edge of the back battery cover at the rear. It's
                harder, but possible, to put one into the front battery compartment
                through the hole on the rear edge at the driver side where the wires
                go in. If your probe is metal, cover it with tape or something first,
                so you don't cause a short circuit.

                Ken
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 20, 2011
                  They actually get pretty warm if in a reasonably warm place. Mine trip on at about 65F and go off again at 80+F. I recall the factory numbers at 65/85 but didn't look it up.

                  As it isn't all that cold here in our part of CA I keep them off as they tend to drift apart in temp between the front and rear. Fuse removed. Each has it's own temp controller and as the season progresses I would find one compartment in the 80's while the other was in the 60's. As the brusa sets the charge for the hottest compartment this resulted in a potential balance issue.

                  Mike R
                  97Force