Broken Bolt

  • anderlew2315
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 8, 2011
      It took me a while, but I got the engine broken away from the gearbox and out of the car. The cap on the drive shaft was missing and the center bolt sheared off from the force of punching it in reverse on a hill. The cap fell down into the gearbox and with the engine out, I was somehow able to get it out (using a magnet, a clasping snake, wires through the hole in the center of the cap and another wire snaked through the gearbox!) It looks like McMaster has the right kind of replacement bolts. I posted photos under 1998 Force motor.

      The only problem is that the gear with bearings has a slight wobble to the bearings and I wonder if I should replace either the bearings or both the bearings and gear combo. Does anyone know if these are available for a 98 Force?
      Michael
    • kevin lubot
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 14, 2011
        AZD told me the bearing were NTN 6305's a search on ebay nets tons one seller has a pair with seals for 12 buck. Anyone know if thats the right part (i assume azd knows but its good to have someone whos changed them chime in.)

        ________________________________
        It took me a while, but I got the engine broken away from the gearbox and out of the car. The cap on the drive shaft was missing and the center bolt sheared off from the force of punching it in reverse on a hill. The cap fell down into the gearbox and with the engine out, I was somehow able to get it out (using a magnet, a clasping snake, wires through the hole in the center of the cap and another wire snaked through the gearbox!) It looks like McMaster has the right kind of replacement bolts. I posted photos under 1998 Force motor.

        The only problem is that the gear with bearings has a slight wobble to the bearings and I wonder if I should replace either the bearings or both the bearings and gear combo. Does anyone know if these are available for a 98 Force?
        Michael

      • Michael Anderson
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 14, 2011
          Kevin,
          It turns out that bearing is a common one and I was able to get it at McMaster Carr. There was nothing to changing it out. It slides off and on the gear fitting snuggly, but you can pull it off with bare hands. I had an engineer look over the gear and he thought it was in good shape, so without any specialty parts, I was able to get a new bolt and reassemble everything back together. I'm back on the road-all systems seem to be good. My first major repair and thanks to the Yahoo group, it went beautifully!
          Thanks,
          Michael
          On Nov 14, 2011, at 11:34 AM, kevin lubot wrote:

          > AZD told me the bearing were NTN 6305's a search on ebay nets tons one seller has a pair with seals for 12 buck. Anyone know if thats the right part (i assume azd knows but its good to have someone whos changed them chime in.)
          >

          > ________________________________

        • kevin lubot
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 14, 2011
            Im curious just you pull the moror off the trans or the trans off the motor?

            ________________________________
            It turns out that bearing is a common one and I was able to get it at McMaster Carr.  There was nothing to changing it out.  It slides off and on the gear fitting snuggly, but you can pull it off with bare hands.  I had an engineer look over the gear and he thought it was in good shape, so without any specialty parts, I was able to get a new bolt and reassemble everything back together.  I'm back on the road-all systems seem to be good.  My first major repair and thanks to the Yahoo group, it went beautifully!
            Thanks,
            Michael
            On Nov 14, 2011, at 11:34 AM, kevin lubot wrote:

            > AZD told me the bearing were NTN 6305's a search on ebay nets tons one seller has a pair with seals for 12 buck. Anyone know if thats the right part (i assume azd knows but its good to have someone whos changed them chime in.)

            > ________________________________

          • Michael Anderson
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 14, 2011
              I pulled the motor off the trans/gearbox, though I was stopped dead for a week or two as I puzzled how to break the seal between the two parts. It turns out a black transmission sealant is used between the two and it sticks them together solidly. I used a stiff spatula and hammered it down between the joint. I was afraid to use force (sorry-pun), but that is what finally did it. After the seal is broken, the motor has to move about 3" away from the gearbox releasing the main gear from its connections in the gearbox. Then, you can lift the motor out of the car.

              On Nov 14, 2011, at 11:55 AM, kevin lubot wrote:

              > Im curious just you pull the moror off the trans or the trans off the motor?
              >
              > ________________________________

            • kevin lubot
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 14, 2011
                Ah so is the motor bearing is oiled via the trans fluid or is it greased and sealed? Also what did you use to reseal the motor to the trans (just documenting for people's later searching.)

                ________________________________
                I pulled the motor off the trans/gearbox, though I was stopped dead for a week or two as I puzzled how to break the seal between the two parts.  It turns out a black transmission sealant is used between the two and it sticks them together solidly.  I used a stiff spatula and hammered it down between the joint.  I was afraid to use force (sorry-pun), but that is what finally did it.  After the seal is broken, the motor has to move about 3" away from the gearbox releasing the main gear from its connections in the gearbox.  Then, you can lift the motor out of the car.

                On Nov 14, 2011, at 11:55 AM, kevin lubot wrote:

                > Im curious just you pull the moror off the trans or the trans off the motor?
                >
                > ________________________________

              • Michael Anderson
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 14, 2011
                  The gears are oiled via the transmission fluid. I was told there is a silicone sealant used and I saw that it was black when I scrapped all the old sealant off the motor and gearbox. I went to a Napa auto supply store and found a transmission sealant (silicone) that was good for sealing joints that come into contact with trans fluid and was black, so I used that.
                  On Nov 14, 2011, at 12:04 PM, Michael Anderson wrote:

                  > I pulled the motor off the trans/gearbox, though I was stopped dead for a week or two as I puzzled how to break the seal between the two parts. It turns out a black transmission sealant is used between the two and it sticks them together solidly. I used a stiff spatula and hammered it down between the joint. I was afraid to use force (sorry-pun), but that is what finally did it. After the seal is broken, the motor has to move about 3" away from the gearbox releasing the main gear from its connections in the gearbox. Then, you can lift the motor out of the car.
                  >
                  > On Nov 14, 2011, at 11:55 AM, kevin lubot wrote:
                  >
                  >> Im curious just you pull the moror off the trans or the trans off the motor?

                • kevin lubot
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 14, 2011
                    Ok, where the bearings sealed and greased or where they also oiled by the transfluid ie were there bearing seals?