RE: [force_ev] Belly Pan

  • Tom Hudson
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11 2:20 PM
      > If the belly pan is considered important, does anybody know where
      > I might find one? Solectria does not have any.

      I consider the belly pan to be fairly important -- It improves aerodynamics,
      one of the big factors in driving efficiency, and reduces splash-up of stuff
      like road salt, which can only extend your car's life.

      If you can get a piece of the material (Solectria will know what it's
      called), I'll be happy to send you a template for it -- I can trace mine.
      The material is a corrugated plastic, and I'll bet you can get some from a
      local plastics distributor or a sign company. At one point a couple of
      years ago, I saw a message on the EV mailing list about what the stuff is
      called. I saw a political yard sign the other day that's made from the same
      thing, so I know it's available.

      You'll want to be sure you have the retaining bar and two bolts that hold it
      to the body between the front wheels -- It's possible the previous owner
      didn't reattach it. And make sure there's still a large screw at the back
      of the car's nose underneath the vehicle, that holds the flexible front
      bumper to the frame. The belly pan attaches there. The only other thing
      you'll need are a few zip-ties.

      -Tom

      Thomas Hudson
      http://klanky.com -- Animation projects

    • Stephen Taylor
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 12 7:43 AM
        I'm checking with the previous owner again about the belly pan. He is checking to see if he has it, but he doesn't remember doing anything with it. If he can't find it I'll take you up on that offer for a template. From what I can tell the front bracket is there, but the bolts and bar near the wheels is missing. Considering the material you said it was made of, I'm assuming the bar runs between bolts to help keep the pan from flying off. Up front, I'm assuming the pan slides up under the lip of the plastic front bumper.

        I appreciate your help.

        Stephen Taylor
        Tom Hudson <tomhudson@...> wrote:> If the belly pan is considered important, does anybody know where
        > I might find one? Solectria does not have any.

        I consider the belly pan to be fairly important -- It improves aerodynamics,
        one of the big factors in driving efficiency, and reduces splash-up of stuff
        like road salt, which can only extend your car's life.

        If you can get a piece of the material (Solectria will know what it's
        called), I'll be happy to send you a template for it -- I can trace mine.
        The material is a corrugated plastic, and I'll bet you can get some from a
        local plastics distributor or a sign company. At one point a couple of
        years ago, I saw a message on the EV mailing list about what the stuff is
        called. I saw a political yard sign the other day that's made from the same
        thing, so I know it's available.

        You'll want to be sure you have the retaining bar and two bolts that hold it
        to the body between the front wheels -- It's possible the previous owner
        didn't reattach it. And make sure there's still a large screw at the back
        of the car's nose underneath the vehicle, that holds the flexible front
        bumper to the frame. The belly pan attaches there. The only other thing
        you'll need are a few zip-ties.

        -Tom

        Thomas Hudson
        http://klanky.com -- Animation projects

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Tom Hudson
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 12 8:03 AM
          Yeah, the bar holds down the back of the sheet, and at the front, it
          slidesunder the front bumper. The front sides bend up around the sides of
          the battery box and are held in place with a couple of zip ties. Very
          simple to install.

          Let me know if you need the template.

          -Tom

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/