Belly Pan

  • Stephen Taylor
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11, 2003
      I had a transmission oil change done last week and found out that my 19994 door Force does not have a belly pan. I'm assuming the belly pan adds some protection to the front battery box, motor and transmission. Apparently the previous owner either forgot to put it back on during a transmission oil change or purposely left it off for some reason. Anybody have any opinions as to how important this protection might be or why someone might leave it off?

      If the belly pan is considered important, does anybody know where I might find one? Solectria does not have any.

    • Tom Hudson
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 11, 2003
        > If the belly pan is considered important, does anybody know where
        > I might find one? Solectria does not have any.

        I consider the belly pan to be fairly important -- It improves aerodynamics,
        one of the big factors in driving efficiency, and reduces splash-up of stuff
        like road salt, which can only extend your car's life.

        If you can get a piece of the material (Solectria will know what it's
        called), I'll be happy to send you a template for it -- I can trace mine.
        The material is a corrugated plastic, and I'll bet you can get some from a
        local plastics distributor or a sign company. At one point a couple of
        years ago, I saw a message on the EV mailing list about what the stuff is
        called. I saw a political yard sign the other day that's made from the same
        thing, so I know it's available.

        You'll want to be sure you have the retaining bar and two bolts that hold it
        to the body between the front wheels -- It's possible the previous owner
        didn't reattach it. And make sure there's still a large screw at the back
        of the car's nose underneath the vehicle, that holds the flexible front
        bumper to the frame. The belly pan attaches there. The only other thing
        you'll need are a few zip-ties.

        -Tom

        Thomas Hudson
        http://klanky.com -- Animation projects

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 12, 2003
          I'm checking with the previous owner again about the belly pan. He is checking to see if he has it, but he doesn't remember doing anything with it. If he can't find it I'll take you up on that offer for a template. From what I can tell the front bracket is there, but the bolts and bar near the wheels is missing. Considering the material you said it was made of, I'm assuming the bar runs between bolts to help keep the pan from flying off. Up front, I'm assuming the pan slides up under the lip of the plastic front bumper.

          I appreciate your help.

          Stephen Taylor
          Tom Hudson <tomhudson@...> wrote:> If the belly pan is considered important, does anybody know where
          > I might find one? Solectria does not have any.

          I consider the belly pan to be fairly important -- It improves aerodynamics,
          one of the big factors in driving efficiency, and reduces splash-up of stuff
          like road salt, which can only extend your car's life.

          If you can get a piece of the material (Solectria will know what it's
          called), I'll be happy to send you a template for it -- I can trace mine.
          The material is a corrugated plastic, and I'll bet you can get some from a
          local plastics distributor or a sign company. At one point a couple of
          years ago, I saw a message on the EV mailing list about what the stuff is
          called. I saw a political yard sign the other day that's made from the same
          thing, so I know it's available.

          You'll want to be sure you have the retaining bar and two bolts that hold it
          to the body between the front wheels -- It's possible the previous owner
          didn't reattach it. And make sure there's still a large screw at the back
          of the car's nose underneath the vehicle, that holds the flexible front
          bumper to the frame. The belly pan attaches there. The only other thing
          you'll need are a few zip-ties.

          -Tom

          Thomas Hudson
          http://klanky.com -- Animation projects

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Tom Hudson
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 12, 2003
            Yeah, the bar holds down the back of the sheet, and at the front, it
            slidesunder the front bumper. The front sides bend up around the sides of
            the battery box and are held in place with a couple of zip ties. Very
            simple to install.

            Let me know if you need the template.

            -Tom

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/