Re: [solectria_ev] Jerking at beginning of accelleration and radio interference

  • Steve Powers
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2011
      I posted this question on the EVDL and i got a pretty good answer from Lee
      Hart. Below is his response.

      Steve Powers wrote:
      > I need a simple circuit that drives a relay... turn on if current goes
      > over 50 Amps. If current drops below 25 Amps, the relay will open...
      > Side note, I may want a feature to "delay" the relay engagement for some
      > time (say 500 ms or so).
      You're in luck. There *is* a simple circuit to do it. One component. Two
      components if you want that 500 msec delay. In fact, it's so simple that
      nobody will think of it. Everyone will hunt for complicated ways to do it.
      Buy a reed switch. It needs a contact that can switch the desired load.
      For example, let's say you want to switch 12vdc at 1 amp. Go to
      www.digikey.com and search for "reed", then "magnetic", then select a
      current of "1a". It will come up with 21 candidates. I'll arbitrarily
      pick the first one, Digikey #374-1076-ND, a Meder Electronics
      KSD-1A35-1015, for $1.23 each. It's rated at 1a max, 200vdc max, 20w max
      so it can easily do the job.
      Its "must operate" spec is 10-15at. This means it operates (closes) with
      a magnetic field strength of 10 to 15 ampere-turns. If you make a 1-turn
      coil in a wire whose current you want to sense, and put this reed switch
      in the hole in center, it will operate when 10-15 amps flows in the wire.
      You need *less* sensitivity, so you don't need even a 1-turn coil. Just
      place the reed on the wire, at right angles to it (like a cross). This
      forms a fraction-of-a-turn coil, and that is all you'll need. Adjust the
      spacing between the reed and the wire to get the desired 50 amp pull-in.
      The easiest setup is a block of some non-magnetic material that clamps
      around the wire, and has a hole at right angles that the reed slides
      into. Slide the reed in/out of the hold to adjust the spacing, and thus
      the operate current.
      It doesn't mention the drop-out ampere-turns, but it's generally about
      half of the operate ampere-turns. If you need to adjust it separately
      from the operate ampere-turns, then wind a coil of wire (suitable for
      the current you're switching) around the reed, and connect it in series
      with the reed. When the reed closes, the current through its closed
      contact creates a second magnetic field, which can add or subtract from
      the field produced by the big wire. Experimentally determine how many
      turns and in which direction to wind this coil.
      To get a delayed turn-on and turn-off, make the block that holds the
      reed to the wire out of copper or aluminum. It acts like a coil with a
      shorted turn, which slows the magnetic field from reaching the reed. For
      a start, a 1/2" diameter x 1" long piece of aluminum with a 3/32"
      diameter hole for the reed will slow it down about 0.5 seconds.
      If you like this idea, a donation to our Sunrise EV2 project would be a
      good way to say "thanks". :-)
      --
      Lee A. Hart

      The way I would implement this is to add a small resistor in parallel with
      the 10k resistor used in the selector switch for the power mode. Just by
      adding that resistor, the controller power is limited even when you select
      power. Use the basic formula for resistors is parallel (product divided by
      sum). With the formula and some trial and error, you can figure out what
      resistor value to use. Then, use Lee's idea for a reed relay. Use the
      reed relay to break the circuit where where you added the extra resistor in
      parallel. When the relay engages the power is restored to full. By that
      time, any backlash or slop in the drivetrain has been taken up and you can
      proceed as normal. Sounds like about a <$10 fix to a very annoying
      problem. If anyone tries it, let me know the results.

      Steve

    • Walt
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 7, 2011
        My 97 Force has an advanced case of this "disease."
        I will have the CV joints checked to be sure,
        My Force always did this once in a while since I got it in 2009.
        I posted this when my Force did this 4 times in a row, & stranded me
        in the middle of a left turn out onto a 4 lane road,VERY disturbing,
        then it did it twice more while I was trying to get back home.
        After that it drove perfectly, 15 more stop/starts & no problems.
        It single handedly trashed the Force's reliability for me & the wife.
        I got it home & that is where it stayed for 6 months now.
        Just like what this thread says, most of the time it wont do it & when it does, you'd think you trashed the tranny.
        It makes question upgrading to Lithium
        It makes me worry me wife will get stuck in it.
        It makes me think I cant ever sell it, even if I wanted to & I dont want to, but if I test drove something that did that,I wouldnt buy it.
        If anybody has any input on this, it would be help me keep my Force.
        Thanks , Walt