NiMH Force in Southern Summer

  • Adam Kuehn
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5 12:19 PM
      I was just wondering if anyone had experience with the operation of a
      NiMH Force in a hot summer climate (90+ degrees Fahrenheit, ambient)?
      I was contemplating acquiring a NiMH Force, but I am concerned that
      the batteries will lose significant life if operated in our hot
      summer weather. We get high temperatures routinely in the 90s here,
      with occasional days in the 100s (with fairly high relative humidity
      as well, if that matters). We get stretches where even the low
      temperatures just barely dip below 80F. Solectria tells me that
      there is no cooling/AC in the battery box, so would I be cooking the
      batteries to operate (and charge) the vehicle under these conditions?

      I've done an extensive web search on the thermal characteristics of
      NiMH batteries, but I haven't found anything conclusive. Solectria
      has not been especially helpful, except to say that battery cooling
      is accomplished only with a battery box fan. In fact, Solectria
      referred me to you. Any help would be appreciated even if you are
      just pointing me to other resources.

      -Adam Kuehn
      4439 American Dr.
      Durham, NC 27705