Force Chargers/Status Report

  • Mike Chancey
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2003
      Hi folks,

      Does anyone else have a Force equipped with the dual BC1000u chargers
      marked 220 VAC on the chargers? Are these able to opportunity charge on
      120 VAC? What I am reading in the manual is unclear so I wanted to be sure
      before I tried it. Also, my chargers are marked Sonn 1.4. I am assuming
      this refers to the charging algorithm that has been loaded on them. Is
      this the current version for those chargers in a lead acid Force?

      BTW, Solectria did get back with me about the damaged gearbox. They no
      longer stock or make that item, but they can make one up for me in about 3
      weeks. This was not an expense I had planned for, but without it that car
      would be useless, so there really isn't much choice.

      Thanks,

      Mike Chancey,
      '95 Force (x2)
      '88 Civic EV
      Kansas City, Missouri
      EV List Photo Album at: http://evalbum.com
      My Electric Car at: http://www.geocities.com/electric_honda
      Mid-America EAA chapter at: http://maeaa.org
      Join the EV List at: http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.html
    • David Roden (Akron OH USA)
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2003
        > Does anyone else have a Force equipped with the dual BC1000u chargers
        > marked 220 VAC on the chargers? Are these able to opportunity charge on
        > 120 VAC?

        I have a 220v BC-1000, circa early 1990s, which is currently sitting on the
        shelf. I tried it once at 120 volts, and it didn't seem to do anything at
        all.

        > Also, my chargers are marked Sonn 1.4. I am assuming
        > this refers to the charging algorithm that has been loaded on them. Is
        > this the current version for those chargers in a lead acid Force?

        My guess would be that the marking means "Sonnenschein profile, version
        1.4." The usual East Penn gel batteries use a Sonnenschein licensed design,
        and AFAIK the profile should be OK for them. I wouldn't recommend it for
        flooded lead batteries, though.

        I have no idea whether it's the most up to date one; for that you'd have to
        ask Solectria.

        David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
        1991 Solectria Force 144vac
        1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
        1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
        1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
        Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all

        thou knowest." Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.

        Est. yearly US cost to safeguard Persian Gulf oil supply: $50 billion

        Est. 2001 value of US crude oil imports from Persian Gulf: $19 billion
        -- Harper's Index, April 2002