Re: [solectria_ev] Batteries

  • Ken Olum
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 6, 2011
      From: "N/A" <ev@...>
      Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 08:02:35 -0500

      ken look into battery plus in your area .. just make sure u get
      recent date code batteries

      If you mean Batteries Plus (batteriesplus.com), they do not seem to
      carry Deka batteries. On their web site battery finder, I said Sealed
      Lead Acid and neither Deka nor anything that I recognized as a
      Deka/EastPenn label was there.

      Ken
    • N/A
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 8, 2011
        THEY HAVE THEM UDER THE M*** NAME BOUGHT SOME IN 2009.. I WOULD CALL THEM AND ASK WHAT BRAND 8G27 BATTERIES THEY CARRY

      • umarc@hippogryph.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 8, 2011
          I can't find any SLA Group 27 batteries on the Batteries Plus Web site
          today.

          Elsewhere, I'm finding them available under brands such as Universal
          Battery and Power Patrol. Are these cheap knock-offs of the Deka/East
          Penns, or are they substantially the same?

          I've used UB batteries in UPS's at work, and have encountered a couple of
          defective ones out of the 24 I bought.

          Rob

          On Thu, 8 Sep 2011, N/A wrote:

          > THEY HAVE THEM UDER THE M*** NAME BOUGHT SOME IN 2009.. I WOULD CALL THEM AND ASK WHAT BRAND 8G27 BATTERIES THEY CARRY

        • Ken Olum
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 8, 2011
            Personally, I would never use any lead-acid battery in a Solectria
            unless it was a gel battery (not AGM) made by Deka East Penn
            Manufacturing. I believe their labels are

            Deka
            East Penn
            MK
            Gel-Tech

            There may be others.

            The reason to buy these batteries is that they give 600 cycles at 80%
            depth of discharge. Really. (OK. I don't really know this. What I
            do know is that in broadly mixed use ranging from 0% to 80% discharge
            they really do provide the total amount of energy storage, and thus
            miles traveled, implied by the 600 cycles to 80% rating.)

            Ken
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 8, 2011
              You may have done this already but try searching "MK batteries" that is Deka's most widely distributed label. Google returns many pages. And the price seems variable from high to very high. You'll see more agm's than gels listed but for a AC powered Force the Deka gel will last the longest, per Deka engineering. If properly conditioned and charged.

              Mike R
              97 Force

              Try to find them where you don't pay for shipping lead.

              --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, umarc@... wrote:

              > I can't find any SLA Group 27 batteries on the Batteries Plus Web site
              > today.
              >
              > Elsewhere, I'm finding them available under brands such as Universal
              > Battery and Power Patrol. Are these cheap knock-offs of the Deka/East
              > Penns, or are they substantially the same?
              >
              > I've used UB batteries in UPS's at work, and have encountered a couple of
              > defective ones out of the 24 I bought.
              >

              > Rob
              >
              > On Thu, 8 Sep 2011, N/A wrote:
              >
              > > THEY HAVE THEM UDER THE M*** NAME BOUGHT SOME IN 2009.. I WOULD CALL THEM AND ASK WHAT BRAND 8G27 BATTERIES THEY CARRY

            • John
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 8, 2011
                I bought a single battery from SEPbatteries 8g31dtm about 300 but free shipping .

                Johnnydwa
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 12, 2011
                  Rob,
                  Don't know if you found batteries yet but on the wrong coast I got a local price for Deka 8G27 of 234.62 each. Might use it for comparison.

                  Makes lithium a serious alternative.

                  Mike R