Re: [solectria_ev] Batteries

  • Jay Grossman
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 6, 2011
      I bought a set from these folks last November.

      Cost me about $2,900 for a set of 13

      KEN BEAL
      Phone : 410-768-6200
      Email : beal190@...

      BEAL INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS, INC.
      7513-E CONNELLEYDRIVE
      HANOVER, MD 21076

      I live in Virginia and Hanover Md is only about 1.5 hours away therefore no shipping just the rental cost of a van. Other quotes were higher. They did not require that I return the cores.

      It looked like these folks service equipment around BWI Airport and deal in volume.

      Got their information from the East Penn website locate an agent.

      Jay h Grossman

      Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 22:13:32 -0400 (EDT)

      Where are folks buying 8G27 batteries these days? I need a new set for my
      1992 Force.

      The traditional best supplier is Sheldon Battery in Houston. However,
      when I called them last year, they told me that they could not have
      the batteries drop-shipped. The quote I got for shipping 13 batteries
      from Houston to the Boston area was $400, which made this
      uneconomical. So I went instead with mrsolar.com in Maryland. Their
      price was slightly higher, but for some reason (different brand names
      for the same battery, perhaps), they were able to have them
      drop-shipped.

      Ken

    • Ken Olum
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 6, 2011
        From: "N/A" <ev@...>
        Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 08:02:35 -0500

        ken look into battery plus in your area .. just make sure u get
        recent date code batteries

        If you mean Batteries Plus (batteriesplus.com), they do not seem to
        carry Deka batteries. On their web site battery finder, I said Sealed
        Lead Acid and neither Deka nor anything that I recognized as a
        Deka/EastPenn label was there.

        Ken
      • N/A
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 8, 2011
          THEY HAVE THEM UDER THE M*** NAME BOUGHT SOME IN 2009.. I WOULD CALL THEM AND ASK WHAT BRAND 8G27 BATTERIES THEY CARRY

        • umarc@hippogryph.com
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 8, 2011
            I can't find any SLA Group 27 batteries on the Batteries Plus Web site
            today.

            Elsewhere, I'm finding them available under brands such as Universal
            Battery and Power Patrol. Are these cheap knock-offs of the Deka/East
            Penns, or are they substantially the same?

            I've used UB batteries in UPS's at work, and have encountered a couple of
            defective ones out of the 24 I bought.

            Rob

            On Thu, 8 Sep 2011, N/A wrote:

            > THEY HAVE THEM UDER THE M*** NAME BOUGHT SOME IN 2009.. I WOULD CALL THEM AND ASK WHAT BRAND 8G27 BATTERIES THEY CARRY

          • Ken Olum
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 8, 2011
              Personally, I would never use any lead-acid battery in a Solectria
              unless it was a gel battery (not AGM) made by Deka East Penn
              Manufacturing. I believe their labels are

              Deka
              East Penn
              MK
              Gel-Tech

              There may be others.

              The reason to buy these batteries is that they give 600 cycles at 80%
              depth of discharge. Really. (OK. I don't really know this. What I
              do know is that in broadly mixed use ranging from 0% to 80% discharge
              they really do provide the total amount of energy storage, and thus
              miles traveled, implied by the 600 cycles to 80% rating.)

              Ken
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 8, 2011
                You may have done this already but try searching "MK batteries" that is Deka's most widely distributed label. Google returns many pages. And the price seems variable from high to very high. You'll see more agm's than gels listed but for a AC powered Force the Deka gel will last the longest, per Deka engineering. If properly conditioned and charged.

                Mike R
                97 Force

                Try to find them where you don't pay for shipping lead.

                --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, umarc@... wrote:

                > I can't find any SLA Group 27 batteries on the Batteries Plus Web site
                > today.
                >
                > Elsewhere, I'm finding them available under brands such as Universal
                > Battery and Power Patrol. Are these cheap knock-offs of the Deka/East
                > Penns, or are they substantially the same?
                >
                > I've used UB batteries in UPS's at work, and have encountered a couple of
                > defective ones out of the 24 I bought.
                >

                > Rob
                >
                > On Thu, 8 Sep 2011, N/A wrote:
                >
                > > THEY HAVE THEM UDER THE M*** NAME BOUGHT SOME IN 2009.. I WOULD CALL THEM AND ASK WHAT BRAND 8G27 BATTERIES THEY CARRY

              • John
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 8, 2011
                  I bought a single battery from SEPbatteries 8g31dtm about 300 but free shipping .

                  Johnnydwa
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 12, 2011
                    Rob,
                    Don't know if you found batteries yet but on the wrong coast I got a local price for Deka 8G27 of 234.62 each. Might use it for comparison.

                    Makes lithium a serious alternative.

                    Mike R