Dummy brake light on dash flickers

  • Steve Powers
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 4, 2011
      This is a concern that woudn't bother me on any other car, but here it matters.  Even with the parking brake pushed down firmly, the dummy light (brake) flickers now and then when driving.  Well, that probably causes the outside lights to flicker off and on.  No wonder people are staring at the car.  Not because it is an EV, but because the lights are flashing.

      How about disabling the automatic lights.  Then they will be off annd I don't care what the dummy light is doing.  It's probably some kind of short.  I recently transported the car coast to coast. The previous owner didn't see this issue, but I'm seeing it.  It may be hard to trace down the issue.

      I just want a quick way to get the lights to stop flickering.

      Steve

    • Charles Bliss
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4, 2011
        Check the Geo Metro forums and or search for the problem with metros /
        swifts. I found something similar on a '95 traced to a bad fuse connection
        under the dash. In that case, it would turn off the head lights when the
        brake lever was pulled up (light on).

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 4, 2011
          Hmm. I just checked my 97 Force and the parking brake lever doesn't affect the brake
          lights -- just the dash indicator. My light has flickered from time to time, like maybe
          the little switch has gotten dirty or is sticking. That is kind of annoying, especially
          driving at night, but in my case it cleared up on its own

          -Tom

          --
          Thomas Hudson
          http://portev.org -- Electric Vehicles, Solar Power& More

        • Dexion
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 4, 2011
            Check your break fluid level in the master cylinder.
            There is a little float in there that sets off the light when it's low. Are you sure it's causing the outside lights to flicker?

            On Sep 4, 2011, at 7:13 PM, Steve Powers <powers_ev@...>e wrote:

            > This is a concern that woudn't bother me on any other car, but here it matters. Even with the parking brake pushed down firmly, the dummy light (brake) flickers now and then when driving. Well, that probably causes the outside lights to flicker off and on. No wonder people are staring at the car. Not because it is an EV, but because the lights are flashing.
            >
            > How about disabling the automatic lights. Then they will be off annd I don't care what the dummy light is doing. It's probably some kind of short. I recently transported the car coast to coast. The previous owner didn't see this issue, but I'm seeing it. It may be hard to trace down the issue.
            >
            > I just want a quick way to get the lights to stop flickering.
            >
            > Steve

          • Steve Powers
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 2011
              Well, I'm not totally sure.  If I take the parking brake to the switch threshold which is up quite a ways from totally down and wiggle it, the brake dash light does flicker.  And, the lights on the front of the car flicker.  If I have it in the garage facing the wall, I can see the lights flicker when I wiggle the parking break lever at the threshold.  Now, that is kind of annoying and annoying in the first place as to why the lights go on when the parking brake is down (brake off).  I don't want the lights on during the day, its a waste of energy.  But a friend's force does the same thing.  My lights are in the off position, but they still come on.  Put the parking brake down and the lights turn on.  Parking brake on and they turn off.

              I did check the fluid level - a little low.  I'll top it off tomorrow when I can get to the store and get a fresh can of brake fluid.  I don't have an unopened can on hand, so I'll have to wait till tomorrow.

              I'd still like to know how to prevent the lights from coming on whenever the brake lever is down (brake off).  That doesn't sound like typical behavior of the base chassis.  Must be something Solectria did.

              Steve

              Check your break fluid level in the master cylinder.
              There is a little float in there that sets off the light when it's low. Are you sure it's causing the outside lights to flicker?

              On Sep 4, 2011, at 7:13 PM, Steve Powers <powers_ev@...>e wrote:

              > This is a concern that woudn't bother me on any other car, but here it matters. Even with the parking brake pushed down firmly, the dummy light (brake) flickers now and then when driving. Well, that probably causes the outside lights to flicker off and on. No wonder people are staring at the car. Not because it is an EV, but because the lights are flashing.
              >
              > How about disabling the automatic lights. Then they will be off annd I don't care what the dummy light is doing. It's probably some kind of short. I recently transported the car coast to coast. The previous owner didn't see this issue, but I'm seeing it. It may be hard to trace down the issue.
              >
              > I just want a quick way to get the lights to stop flickering.
              >
              > Steve

            • Charles Bliss
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 4, 2011
                Some years of Geo Metro, the lights go on during the day unless the brake handle is up (emergency brake on). The problem I had seen (on a '95 Metro, not a Force) was that the lights would go on during the day with the handle down but would not turn on if the headlight switch was turned on. When I searched the symptoms via Google, the 'common' problem was a bad connection in the fuse block under the dash. There was a procedure for fixing it, but I don't remember what it was.

                On Sep 4, 2011, at 7:13 PM, Steve Powers <powers_ev@... <mailto:powers_ev%40yahoo.com> >e wrote:

                > This is a concern that woudn't bother me on any other car, but here it matters. Even with the parking brake pushed down firmly, the dummy light (brake) flickers now and then when driving. Well, that probably causes the outside lights to flicker off and on. No wonder people are staring at the car. Not because it is an EV, but because the lights are flashing.
                >
                > How about disabling the automatic lights. Then they will be off annd I don't care what the dummy light is doing. It's probably some kind of short. I recently transported the car coast to coast. The previous owner didn't see this issue, but I'm seeing it. It may be hard to trace down the issue.
                >
                > I just want a quick way to get the lights to stop flickering.
                >
                > Steve

              • Dexion
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 4, 2011
                  Sorry I misunderstood I thought you meant the red break on the. Dash not the daytime running lights. Should be fairly easy to bypass the deity to disable the drl.

                  On Sep 4, 2011, at 8:04 PM, Steve Powers <powers_ev@...> wrote:

                  > Well, I'm not totally sure. If I take the parking brake to the switch threshold which is up quite a ways from totally down and wiggle it, the brake dash light does flicker. And, the lights on the front of the car flicker. If I have it in the garage facing the wall, I can see the lights flicker when I wiggle the parking break lever at the threshold. Now, that is kind of annoying and annoying in the first place as to why the lights go on when the parking brake is down (brake off). I don't want the lights on during the day, its a waste of energy. But a friend's force does the same thing. My lights are in the off position, but they still come on. Put the parking brake down and the lights turn on. Parking brake on and they turn off.
                  >
                  > I did check the fluid level - a little low. I'll top it off tomorrow when I can get to the store and get a fresh can of brake fluid. I don't have an unopened can on hand, so I'll have to wait till tomorrow.
                  >
                  > I'd still like to know how to prevent the lights from coming on whenever the brake lever is down (brake off). That doesn't sound like typical behavior of the base chassis. Must be something Solectria did.
                  >
                  > Steve

                • Gordon Stallings
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 5, 2011
                    Steve and all:

                    The Daytime Running Lights (DRL) on a Metro can be disabled as follows:

                    1) Locate the DRL box way up under the dashboard, just right of the
                    steering column. The box is about 3 inches on a side and is made of
                    shiny metal.
                    2) Unplug the connector by depressing the latch on the connector. This
                    disables the DRL but also disconnects the parking brake limit switch.
                    3) To re-enable the parking brake switch, you must install a jumper on
                    the DRL connector. Here is a diagram of the connector as viewed from
                    the end:

                    1 2 3 4
                    5 6 7 8 9

                    Where 'L' is the latch on the connector. The jumper goes between pins
                    3 and 8. Locating the correct pins is easy because pin 6 has no
                    connection and no metal in that hole. So you would not be likely to
                    jumper 2 to 6 instead of 3 to 8. Stranded wire of number 16 or 18
                    gauge works well and stays in place.

                    Other information that may be of interest:

                    Wire colors to the connector:
                    1 - Red/White
                    2 - Orange/White
                    3 - Purple
                    4 - White/Red
                    5 - Black/White
                    6 - No Connection
                    7 - Black
                    8 - Red/Black
                    9 - Red/Black

                    The parking brake limit switch connects pin 8 to ground (negative
                    common) when the brake is not set.
                    Pin 3 connects to the dash light and the warning buzzer circuit,
                    energizing them when it delivers a path to ground.
                    The DRL box uses the parking brake signal as part of the logic that
                    determines when the driving lights are lit.

                    When I first got my Force, I disabled the DRL because I didn't like
                    the idea of extra current drain for normal driving. However, the
                    difference in energy use was not detectable, and I decided that it was
                    more important that I should do everything reasonable to reduce the
                    chances of being hit by another car. So I re-enabled DRL last fall
                    when gloomy weather came back.

                    Gordon Stallings
                    1999 Solectria Force