Re: J1772 conversion cable for Solectria Force

  • romastewart49
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
      With a new adaptor, would you need to adjust or replace the charger? I am very interested in this, since none of the public charging stations in my area work with a level 1 or level 2 charger.

      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "jgrossm3" <jgrossm3@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone in the Solectria user's group constructed an adaptor to bridge between the new J1772 standard employed in the public charging stations and the connection on an older EV?
      >
      > I have a 1995 Solectria Force which takes 240/208 Volt input and would like to be able to use the available public chargers but need to construct a cable to bridge between the two.
      >
      > If there is interest I have done some research. Adaptors are available on the internet but the price seems to range between $190 to $250 per unit. It seems likely that a comprable unit can be constructed for substantially less. A bit of engineering is required to get around the input controls employed int the J1772 standards but the information to do this is available.

    • kevin lubot
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2011
        you dont need to change the charger. The j1772 standard is just an ac power delivery system (a plug.)
        http://www.tucsonev.com/

        they have several and it will give you an idea. You just plug in the j1772 at one and and have a nema whatever at the other end.
        dex

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2011
          This post reminded me...

          Is anyone going to Jack's "ev con"? it is near Saint Louis.

          My dad was trying to talk me in to going... But it is way on the pricey
          side. :/

          Wolf
          *wags his tail*
          www.wolftronix.com
          On Jul 29, 2011 11:27 PM, "kevin lubot" <dexion111@...> wrote:
          > I think Jack went over this 2 weeks ago and last week as well for the guts
          of a J1772. I think he even included a parts list but i not sure. Also he
          talks on the blog. I have a $180 adaptor and have used it 2 times when
          needed (long trips beyond my 100 mile range.)

          > evtv.me for jacks site.

        • Jay Grossman
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2011
            Your charger is ok and does not require a change for level 1 or 2 charging. An adaptor is required because of the j1772 standard. First the connector is different from the standard plug as it has 5 input leads. 3 transfer power just like a standard plug however one of the other two has been programmed to determine if power is off before charging begins. The 5th is unnecessary. There is a small circuit board that those who supply the adaptor have constructed to take of this requirement. You cannot just buy the 5 pin recepticle, attach the 3 power leads and expect the j1772 station to supply power.

            Jay H grossman