Re: [solectria_ev] Batteries

  • umarc@hippogryph.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 20, 2011
      No, these batteries have been useless for almost a year now, but I
      couldn't spare the money for a new set until now.

      Rob

      On Sat, 20 Aug 2011, d. Bouton Baldridge wrote:

      > You have gotten nearly ten years on one set of batteries? That's amazing. I have a '92' also since '04' and never got better than 30 months on a set of Pb, my Lithiums are going into their third year and seem to be going strong. I really like not carrying arround that extra 600 lbs, but if you got ten years go for it.
      > Bouty

    • Ray Darby
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 20, 2011
        Bouty - how many miles & Amp-hrs did you go, on average, with your Pb batteries?

        Also, what is the going rate for Lithium batteries these days?

        You have gotten nearly ten years on one set of batteries? That's amazing. I have a '92' also since '04' and never got better than 30 months on a set of Pb, my Lithiums are going into their third year and seem to be going strong. I really like not carrying arround that extra 600 lbs, but if you got ten years go for it.
        Bouty

        Where are folks buying 8G27 batteries these days? I need a new set for my
        1992 Force.

        I suppose it would be expecting too much to find a place in eastern
        Massachusetts that sells them. The last set I bought in 2002 from a place
        in Lowell, but they are out of business now.

        Rob

      • d. Bouton Baldridge
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 20, 2011
          Hi Ray, My first pack were flooded as per the owner's mn'l they barely lasted 18 months, so I went for AGMs  Deka or MD since AGMs were the choice of the Ranger EV but they only gave the 30+ mile range for about 19 months and the range seemed to be only 12-15 miles for the next 17 months being worse in the winter. The lithium do not seem to be degrading much at all. While they do slow down with temps below 60 degrees, (lower current supplied) they can be warmed to give satisfactory perfomace. I use a waterbed heater. I don't know how long they are going to last the claim is up to 1500- 2000 cycles or five to seven years under my driving conditions. Since I lost 600 lbs and lithium gives three times the capacity of lead and I had limited funds three years ago, I opted to replace my 90Ah AGMs with 40 Ah TS40AH cells (48) to up the pack voltage from 144v to 160v. This has given me a  pretty reliable 30 mile range based on AH usage although I rarely go
          over 20AH per day or about 1.2 AH/mile. I have a goal to keep the SOC above 50% and preferably higher to see how long these cells will last. That is why I am so amazed at the 9 or so years that Rob got from his Gels. Anyway lithiums have been hovering about $1.20-1.30 per AH with shipping included. So I spent just a little more for the lithiums than a good quality Pb like Deka, but have been very happy with the result. As I said the 40 AH cell is comparable to 90 AH Pb in useful capacity and weigh loss; obviously if you want greater range you can buy more amphours. Hope this helps.
          Bouty

          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 5, 2011
            From: umarc@...
            Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 22:13:32 -0400 (EDT)

            Where are folks buying 8G27 batteries these days? I need a new set for my
            1992 Force.

            The traditional best supplier is Sheldon Battery in Houston. However,
            when I called them last year, they told me that they could not have
            the batteries drop-shipped. The quote I got for shipping 13 batteries
            from Houston to the Boston area was $400, which made this
            uneconomical. So I went instead with mrsolar.com in Maryland. Their
            price was slightly higher, but for some reason (different brand names
            for the same battery, perhaps), they were able to have them
            drop-shipped.

            Ken
          • N/A
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 6, 2011
              ken look into battery plus in your area .. just make sure u get recent date code batteries

              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 6, 2011
                I bought a set from these folks last November.

                Cost me about $2,900 for a set of 13

                KEN BEAL
                Phone : 410-768-6200
                Email : beal190@...

                BEAL INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS, INC.
                7513-E CONNELLEYDRIVE
                HANOVER, MD 21076

                I live in Virginia and Hanover Md is only about 1.5 hours away therefore no shipping just the rental cost of a van. Other quotes were higher. They did not require that I return the cores.

                It looked like these folks service equipment around BWI Airport and deal in volume.

                Got their information from the East Penn website locate an agent.

                Jay h Grossman

                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 6, 2011
                  From: "N/A" <ev@...>
                  Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 08:02:35 -0500

                  ken look into battery plus in your area .. just make sure u get
                  recent date code batteries

                  If you mean Batteries Plus (batteriesplus.com), they do not seem to
                  carry Deka batteries. On their web site battery finder, I said Sealed
                  Lead Acid and neither Deka nor anything that I recognized as a
                  Deka/EastPenn label was there.

                  Ken
                • N/A
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 8, 2011
                    THEY HAVE THEM UDER THE M*** NAME BOUGHT SOME IN 2009.. I WOULD CALL THEM AND ASK WHAT BRAND 8G27 BATTERIES THEY CARRY

                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 8, 2011
                      I can't find any SLA Group 27 batteries on the Batteries Plus Web site
                      today.

                      Elsewhere, I'm finding them available under brands such as Universal
                      Battery and Power Patrol. Are these cheap knock-offs of the Deka/East
                      Penns, or are they substantially the same?

                      I've used UB batteries in UPS's at work, and have encountered a couple of
                      defective ones out of the 24 I bought.

                      Rob

                      On Thu, 8 Sep 2011, N/A wrote:

                      > THEY HAVE THEM UDER THE M*** NAME BOUGHT SOME IN 2009.. I WOULD CALL THEM AND ASK WHAT BRAND 8G27 BATTERIES THEY CARRY

                    • Ken Olum
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 8, 2011
                        Personally, I would never use any lead-acid battery in a Solectria
                        unless it was a gel battery (not AGM) made by Deka East Penn
                        Manufacturing. I believe their labels are

                        Deka
                        East Penn
                        MK
                        Gel-Tech

                        There may be others.

                        The reason to buy these batteries is that they give 600 cycles at 80%
                        depth of discharge. Really. (OK. I don't really know this. What I
                        do know is that in broadly mixed use ranging from 0% to 80% discharge
                        they really do provide the total amount of energy storage, and thus
                        miles traveled, implied by the 600 cycles to 80% rating.)

                        Ken
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 8, 2011
                          You may have done this already but try searching "MK batteries" that is Deka's most widely distributed label. Google returns many pages. And the price seems variable from high to very high. You'll see more agm's than gels listed but for a AC powered Force the Deka gel will last the longest, per Deka engineering. If properly conditioned and charged.

                          Mike R
                          97 Force

                          Try to find them where you don't pay for shipping lead.

                          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, umarc@... wrote:

                          > I can't find any SLA Group 27 batteries on the Batteries Plus Web site
                          > today.
                          >
                          > Elsewhere, I'm finding them available under brands such as Universal
                          > Battery and Power Patrol. Are these cheap knock-offs of the Deka/East
                          > Penns, or are they substantially the same?
                          >
                          > I've used UB batteries in UPS's at work, and have encountered a couple of
                          > defective ones out of the 24 I bought.
                          >

                          > Rob
                          >
                          > On Thu, 8 Sep 2011, N/A wrote:
                          >
                          > > THEY HAVE THEM UDER THE M*** NAME BOUGHT SOME IN 2009.. I WOULD CALL THEM AND ASK WHAT BRAND 8G27 BATTERIES THEY CARRY

                        • John
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 8, 2011
                            I bought a single battery from SEPbatteries 8g31dtm about 300 but free shipping .

                            Johnnydwa
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 12, 2011
                              Rob,
                              Don't know if you found batteries yet but on the wrong coast I got a local price for Deka 8G27 of 234.62 each. Might use it for comparison.

                              Makes lithium a serious alternative.

                              Mike R