Another Solectria Force back on the road!!

  • ECE Prof
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 17, 2011
      After 3 months of connecting, dis-connecting, diagnosing, removing, replacing, and checking, our '99 Force is running and on the road!!!

      We installed new batteries and Zivan NG3/120V charger and new tires.

      Very fun to drive!!! Are now daily driving to work and around town.
      We are gradually increasing the distance and our confidence and have gotten up to 53 amp hours on a single charge.
      Drove it out on the highway where we got up to 67 mph!

      Last night tried to drive it down low enough to see what "limp home" mode was like. Toward the end, it lost power but never seemed to go into a "limp home" mode. Had it floored but only going 15 mph. Does this mean that the programming is not working or did we just not drive it long enough to see the true limp home mode? Did we damage the batteries?

      Putting a short info sheet in passenger window to share the EV gospel.

      Next move is to get a 20A circuit in the garage for easier charging than stretching extension cord into the house.

      Thanks to you all for your help, advice, and encouragement!!
      Couldn't have done it without you!!

      Regards,
    • Charles Bliss
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 17, 2011
        I am pretty sure 15mph is limp mode. Do you know what your lowest cell was
        at the end? It is possible you may have done some damage but hard to say
        without knowing more. Limp mode is designed to protect your batteries and
        we are hopeful it did.

        Are the new batteries lithium or lead? In my '93, the longest trip I made
        was with new batteries and I did 53 miles. It went into limp mode 2 miles
        from home so I drove them at about 15mph. The '93 only had 11 batteries, it
        is a 132 volt system. You should get a little more with 13 batteries.

        Are you running any balancing? Kind of important to protect your batteries.

[...]

      • d. Bouton Baldridge
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 17, 2011
          Great job and congratulations you've now got that EV smile.
          I would say that you got limp mode with 15  mph, not sure what else you were expecting. Can't remember did you put in lead? If so not a good idea to use any more than half of your total AH on a regular basis. Preferably if you want the Pb batteries to last more than 400 cycles you should not go below 75 or 80% SOC.

          Good luck,
          Bouty

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 17, 2011
            sounds like limp mode to me! On my first set of batteries I drove until the meter showed 42.00 (maximum per manual).  As I recall, 15 mph was the maxium speed. Even neighborhood cars will go 25 so I would call that limping!
            -Joel

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 17, 2011
              Congratulations Jack!

              To add to what Bouty said, with lead-acid batteries my rule of thumb has been to assume you have 30AH total, for which 80% would be 24AH.

              We do a lot of solar power installs, mostly with flooded (L16) batteries, but with sealed lead-acid I believe the rule of thumb for maximizing battery life is to stay under 50% DOD (ie, 15AH).

              That said, I'll let others weigh in!

              - Ray Darby
              96 Force (lead-acid)

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 17, 2011
                "Limp home mode" is not really a mode that the controller all of a sudden
                clicks into...

                Is is a discharge voltage limit, which is tipicly set to 10V per battery.

                Thus, on a Force, with 13 batteries, the limit is 130V.

                The controller will only pull current, if the battery voltage is above 130V.

                So you end up with a gradual decrease in speed.

                If you keep going, you will slowly drop from 15, to 10, to 5... And then
                come completely to a stop. ;)

                Wolf
                *wags his tail*
                www.wolftronix.com
                On Aug 17, 2011 1:17 PM, "Joel Meyn" <joelmeyn@...> wrote:
                > sounds like limp mode to me! On my first set of batteries I drove until
                the meter showed 42.00 (maximum per manual). As I recall, 15 mph was the
                maxium speed. Even neighborhood cars will go 25 so I would call that
                limping!
                > -Joel

              • romastewart49
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 31, 2013
                   Re: "limp home mode" -- It's no fun, especially uphill.  If it's really bad, you can pull over to the side of the road, turn off the motor, and twiddle your thumbs for about 5 minutes or so.  It will go at least another mile after that.  Don't recommend going to that extreme, though. --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, <wolf@...> wrote: "Limp home mode" is not really a mode that the controller all of a sudden