Inspect drive belt w/out pulling gearbox 1st? '97 force, jerking/jumping a tooth

  • Walt
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 9, 2011
      Can I inspect the Gates Belt they say is in the '97 gearbox without pulling the motor&gearbox 1st?

      Does the front half of the gearbox case unbolt for inspection, it looks like I might have inspection clearance.
      Are there PICs of this that I missed somewhere?

      I saw Doug's '99 Force gearbox pull photos--I hope my teeth arent chewed like that
      I read Msg #2636 about motor jerking, #7337 from RayDarby's '96 where PackRatDaddy says Gates Belt Poly Chain® GT® Carbon™ Belt & #6337 on belt tension too.

      I dont think it is electrical like some messages say, but maybe it is, I really want to inspect that gearbox first.

      From a stop, before it moves, it bumps/jerks you, like the gear jumped a tooth , then it goes like it never happened.
      This has only happened a couple of times in 2 yrs I've owned it.
      Last time I drove it, it did it 5 times in a row and stranded me in middle of left turn onto a busy four lane road.
      Luckly, it doesnt do it in reverse, so I got myself out of trouble, going backwards, but I haven't driven it since.
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 9, 2011
        Unless you have a strange car you won't find any belt in the 97 gearbox, just gears. If you can push the car by hand and the gearbox is quiet in both directions it is likely fine. If it was missing a tooth or has damage it would likely get worse at speed and not better.

        Change the fluid and see what comes out. If it looks like pretty clean transmission fluid, as it should, all is likely well. If the thing is coming apart you'll see it. I recommend changing and inspecting the fluid yearly instead of every 12,000 miles as indicated in the service schedule. 12K is many years in the life of most Force's. A quart of good tranny fluid is cheap.

        Also it is a lot easier to refill via the top vent than the service port on the side. The drain plug can leak and/or back off if not installed correctly.

        Mike R
        97 Force