Looking for recommendation for charger for my 99 Force

  • larryO
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2 4:38 PM
      Hi all,
      I am about to send my Azure (3300) to Wolf for repair, but know he is backed up so it may be awhile.
      I have been charging all my batteries separately now but really just need to invest in a "back-up" charger. Pretty tire moving all the cables around and checking on the state of each charger. I always charge them each up fully before using again.

      Basic needs:
      156 volt
      110/220 switchable.
      longest warranty possible.

      Would like some recommendations and real world experienced with chargers you all have used.

      I have looked online at quickcharge.com
      They offer a 156 charger 110/220 switchable, (not-onboard), 3 year warranty for $932.80.

      I was hoping not to have to spend more than $500, but I am starting to feel that that may be unrealistic.

      Thanks to all who reply.
      Larry

      828-216-7860 (feel free to call me if you like, or reply via post)
    • Ken Olum
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2 5:34 PM
        For backup use, you could try to find a used adjustable power supply
        on eBay. Not too long ago I bought a 15A-160V one for $200. You need
        200V, but something might be available.

        Ken
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2 9:44 PM
          I wish I had a working spare I could send you, but I don't have any at the
          moment...

          I had a working spare, but it got damaged when I swapped a board from
          another broken charger into it. :(

          One of the draw backs to "swap-tronics" when troubleshooting...

          If only I could get my paws on the BC3300 schematics (or at least a parts
          list showing the differences between the SAFT chargers and the GEL/AGM
          chargers, I have a few SAFT chargers, but they have different parts
          populated, and are missing some parts when compared to the lead charger, I
          am reluctant to use logic, processor, gate driver, and I/O boards from them
          in the other chargers)...

          Wolf
          *wags his tail*
          www.wolftronix.com

          On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 6:38 PM, larryO <larryoslund@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hi all,
          > I am about to send my Azure (3300) to Wolf for repair, but know he is
          > backed up so it may be awhile.
          > I have been charging all my batteries separately now but really just need
          > to invest in a "back-up" charger. Pretty tire moving all the cables around
          > and checking on the state of each charger. I always charge them each up
          > fully before using again.
          >
          > Basic needs:
          > 156 volt
          > 110/220 switchable.
          > longest warranty possible.
          >
          > Would like some recommendations and real world experienced with chargers
          > you all have used.
          >
          > I have looked online at quickcharge.com
          > They offer a 156 charger 110/220 switchable, (not-onboard), 3 year warranty
          > for $932.80.
          >
          > I was hoping not to have to spend more than $500, but I am starting to feel
          > that that may be unrealistic.
          >
          > Thanks to all who reply.
          > Larry
          >
          > 828-216-7860 (feel free to call me if you like, or reply via post)

        • Jay Grossman
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3 5:33 AM
            I am contemplating the purchase of a back-up charger as well and was looking at the PFC2500 sold by Elcon in Sacramento. The price for a new unit is a bit more than your budget at about $675.00. Less expensive than a Zivan and far less than the B3300 or its equivalent.
            Jay H Grossman

            I wish I had a working spare I could send you, but I don't have any at the
            moment...

            I had a working spare, but it got damaged when I swapped a board from
            another broken charger into it. :(

            One of the draw backs to "swap-tronics" when troubleshooting...

            If only I could get my paws on the BC3300 schematics (or at least a parts
            list showing the differences between the SAFT chargers and the GEL/AGM
            chargers, I have a few SAFT chargers, but they have different parts
            populated, and are missing some parts when compared to the lead charger, I
            am reluctant to use logic, processor, gate driver, and I/O boards from them
            in the other chargers)...

            Wolf
            *wags his tail*
            www.wolftronix.com

            On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 6:38 PM, larryO <larryoslund@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hi all,
            > I am about to send my Azure (3300) to Wolf for repair, but know he is
            > backed up so it may be awhile.
            > I have been charging all my batteries separately now but really just need
            > to invest in a "back-up" charger. Pretty tire moving all the cables around
            > and checking on the state of each charger. I always charge them each up
            > fully before using again.
            >
            > Basic needs:
            > 156 volt
            > 110/220 switchable.
            > longest warranty possible.
            >
            > Would like some recommendations and real world experienced with chargers
            > you all have used.
            >
            > I have looked online at quickcharge.com
            > They offer a 156 charger 110/220 switchable, (not-onboard), 3 year warranty
            > for $932.80.
            >
            > I was hoping not to have to spend more than $500, but I am starting to feel
            > that that may be unrealistic.
            >
            > Thanks to all who reply.
            > Larry
            >
            > 828-216-7860 (feel free to call me if you like, or reply via post)

          • Tom Hudson
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3 7:18 AM
              Good luck on the schematics. Brusa told me who they sold those to and I never even got a
              "take a hike" reply from the emails I sent the guy.

              I finally gave up on my NLG4/BC3300s, though the one in the E-10 is still (mostly)
              working, and got an NLG5 for my Force. Built up a nice little interface box for it that's
              plug-compatible with the NLG4's 18-pin round connector (I set it up so that the connector
              from an NLG4 simply plugs into a pin-compatible 20-pin header on my PCB). Works nicely; I
              have some spare PCBs here if anyone wants one, they are two-sided Express PCB pieces with
              plated-through holes, really nice.

              Wolf, I also have a bunch of NLG4 parts here that you may want -- both NiCD and
              lead-acid. Cases, boards, etc. from all the units I've had to cannibalize over the years
              to keep my Force's charger working. They're just cluttering my shop right now. Let me
              know if you want 'em; if you will pay for shipping, they're yours. Consider it my
              donation to the EV cause. :-)

              -Tom

              On 8/2/2011 11:44 PM, Wolf wrote:
              > I wish I had a working spare I could send you, but I don't have any at the
              > moment...
              >
              > I had a working spare, but it got damaged when I swapped a board from
              > another broken charger into it. :(
              >
              > One of the draw backs to "swap-tronics" when troubleshooting...
              >

              > If only I could get my paws on the BC3300 schematics (or at least a parts
              > list showing the differences between the SAFT chargers and the GEL/AGM
              > chargers, I have a few SAFT chargers, but they have different parts
              > populated, and are missing some parts when compared to the lead charger, I
              > am reluctant to use logic, processor, gate driver, and I/O boards from them
              > in the other chargers)...
              >
              > Wolf
              > *wags his tail*
              > www.wolftronix.com
              >
              > On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 6:38 PM, larryO<larryoslund@...> wrote:
              >
              >> **
              >>

              >> Hi all,
              >> I am about to send my Azure (3300) to Wolf for repair, but know he is
              >> backed up so it may be awhile.
              >> I have been charging all my batteries separately now but really just need
              >> to invest in a "back-up" charger. Pretty tire moving all the cables around
              >> and checking on the state of each charger. I always charge them each up
              >> fully before using again.
              >>
              >> Basic needs:
              >> 156 volt
              >> 110/220 switchable.
              >> longest warranty possible.
              >>
              >> Would like some recommendations and real world experienced with chargers
              >> you all have used.
              >>
              >> I have looked online at quickcharge.com
              >> They offer a 156 charger 110/220 switchable, (not-onboard), 3 year warranty
              >> for $932.80.
              >>
              >> I was hoping not to have to spend more than $500, but I am starting to feel
              >> that that may be unrealistic.
              >>
              >> Thanks to all who reply.
              >> Larry
              >>
              >> 828-216-7860 (feel free to call me if you like, or reply via post)

              Thomas Hudson
              http://portev.org -- Electric Vehicles, Solar Power& More
              http://klanky.com -- Animation Projects
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 3 10:41 AM
                Sure, I will take the parts, I will contact you off-list.

                Yeah, with out the schematics, it takes quite a bit longer to fix things,
                due the reverse engineering involved.

                Especially on the BC3300, since the board that has the problem is always one
                that is surrounded by all the other boards... Which also makes it hard to
                probe and test things when they are in circuit...

                Case in point:
                There is a nice little photo coupler (that is used as an isolated voltage
                follower circuit), one side is connected to the incoming AC, the other side
                to the micro controller. It is used to detect the connected AC voltage
                110/220 and the zero crossing for Power Factor Correction... Well If that IC
                is shorted it applies lots of volts to the poor micro (and many other
                parts). That is what killed my working test charger. You only need to remove
                7 boards to get down to the board that has that isolator on it... But now I
                know that is the first thinkg to check, before swaping in a good board. ;)

                Wolf
                *wags his tail*
                www.wolftronix.com

              • Joel Meyn
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 3 12:53 PM
                  I have been using a "PFC" charger I got from Thunderstruck Motors. I paid $600 a couple of years ago. It takes 110v or 220v, though it charges only slightly faster on 220v. I have been talking about getting a 2nd one and running in parallel for faster charging.
                  -Joel