Re: [solectria_ev] J1772 conversion cable for Solectria Force

  • kevin lubot
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 29, 2011
      I think Jack went over this 2 weeks ago and last week as well for the guts of a J1772. I think he even included a parts list but i not sure. Also he talks on the blog. I have a $180 adaptor and have used it 2 times when needed (long trips beyond my 100 mile range.)

      evtv.me for jacks site.

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
        With a new adaptor, would you need to adjust or replace the charger? I am very interested in this, since none of the public charging stations in my area work with a level 1 or level 2 charger.

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2011
          you dont need to change the charger. The j1772 standard is just an ac power delivery system (a plug.)
          http://www.tucsonev.com/

          they have several and it will give you an idea. You just plug in the j1772 at one and and have a nema whatever at the other end.
          dex

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2011
            This post reminded me...

            Is anyone going to Jack's "ev con"? it is near Saint Louis.

            My dad was trying to talk me in to going... But it is way on the pricey
            side. :/

            Wolf
            *wags his tail*
            www.wolftronix.com
            On Jul 29, 2011 11:27 PM, "kevin lubot" <dexion111@...> wrote:
            > I think Jack went over this 2 weeks ago and last week as well for the guts
            of a J1772. I think he even included a parts list but i not sure. Also he
            talks on the blog. I have a $180 adaptor and have used it 2 times when
            needed (long trips beyond my 100 mile range.)

            > evtv.me for jacks site.

          • Jay Grossman
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5, 2011
              Your charger is ok and does not require a change for level 1 or 2 charging. An adaptor is required because of the j1772 standard. First the connector is different from the standard plug as it has 5 input leads. 3 transfer power just like a standard plug however one of the other two has been programmed to determine if power is off before charging begins. The 5th is unnecessary. There is a small circuit board that those who supply the adaptor have constructed to take of this requirement. You cannot just buy the 5 pin recepticle, attach the 3 power leads and expect the j1772 station to supply power.

              Jay H grossman