Re: [solectria_ev] My solectria Geo will not charge

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5, 2011
      Did you check the small interface box (the one with the LEDs on it), for
      water damage too?

      Wolf
      *wags his tail*
      www.wolftronix.com

      On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 10:16 AM, larryO <larryoslund@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hello all,
      > I have a 99 Geo, with a 2006 model BC3300 charger.
      > I left my trunk open one day and it rained pretty hard. About a week later
      > the charger stopped charging. The little yellow light on the charger
      > interface box "sometimes" flashes, and I can hear a little "click" in the
      > charger. Sometimes it does not light up at all.
      > I have checked the 3 fuses in the interface box and also the main fuse just
      > past the anderson connector. They are all fine.
      > I took the charger out and took it carefully out of the case. It had about
      > 1/16" of water in the bottom, but I do not think any of the components where
      > "submerged". There was however noticeable "condensation" on some of the
      > components. I let it dry out for several days, re-assembled and
      > re-installed.
      > Nothing! Still the same problem.
      >
      > I have read through the "Sercive Manual" about checking fuses, and am stuck
      > on checking the resistance on teh temperature sensors. (Not exactly sure I
      > know which ones to check..) - plus have the gut feeling that is not the
      > problem anyway since it got rained on.
      >
      > The other strange thing I did notice, was that there seems to be a small
      > drain on the system even when I am not driving the car. It would never do
      > this before. Also, the very day it would not take a charge, I also noticed
      > that the normal "14" mile trip I always took consumed 20+ Amphours when it
      > normally uses 14-15 Amphours.
      > It almost seems like there is something "sucking" the power out at a higher
      > rate, and I suspected that the car may appear to be "on" to the charger, so
      > it will not let it charge. I know it is set up this way. (i.e. If you have
      > the key on and in drive, and try and plug it in, it will not charge.
      >
      > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
      > Thanks,
      > Larry
      >
      > 828-698-7860

    • Larry Oslund
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
        Thanks for your reply:
        I looked at it, but it is attached to the side of the trunk way away from
        anything. I do not think it could possibly even get wet when it rains, even
        with the trunk open wide.
        How would I test if it is operational or not?
        Thanks,
        Larry

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
          Larry,

          Sorry to hear about the rain thing.

          If it rained enough to get that much water in the charger I'm going to make a guess and say there is likely even more water in the rear battery compartment.

          What are you using to charge the batteries now? I would totally disconnect the BC3300 charger from the pack.

          The controller (AMC325) charger interface is a simple open/closed circuit to the controller. When the charger has power it closes, no power open. You can disconnect it at the side wall next to the charger. Black white wire if I recall and if you had the charger wire bundle out you would have opened the connector. If you disconnected at the charger you may not have. But this is strickly "one way deal" charger "on" is suppose to stop the controller but the controller has no ability to control the charger. If this was changed to be a two way relationship on the 99 I would be surprised.

          I would recommend you get with Wolf and see if he has time to repair your charger and see what the rain did. The BC3300 is built like a "ship in a bottle" but it isn't in any way designed to be actually wet. It is very likely that it has something failed on the control board.

          If your pack isn't getting a good full charge the voltage will drop quicker and the AH reading will go up for a drive of equal distance.

          Mike R
          97 Force

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
            Actully that is a good test...

            Unplug the charger from the pack (red anderson connector), and see if the
            pack still discharges...

            Also, I bet there is water in the battery pack box, and it is shorting out
            the temp sensor, that will cause the battery charger to act funny...

            Just a side note. ;)
            I have had a few chargers and controllers come in that had nothing wrong
            with them...
            Some times it realy is just the wiring on the car/truck and/or a bad switch.
            ;)

            I don't charge anything for those, since there is nothing to fix, but the
            shipping company makes money. ;D

            Wolf
            *wags his tail*
            www.wolftronix.com

          • Larry Oslund
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
              Hi Wolf,
              I am confused. If I unplug the charger from the pack (disc the red anderson
              connector), how does the voltage flow through to charge the pack?
              Can you explain to me in detail which wires should be connected and which
              should not.
              My batteries are probably about 70% discharged from my last trip.
              I should be able to individually charge each battery without un--hooking
              them from each other to get the batteries up with a decent charge, right?

              I have also taken the top off the battery pack. There is a small amount of
              condensation in the bottom of the battery tray, but not very much. Nothing
              is really wet or submerged.

              Do you have some way of telling if the charger is actually wokring corretly
              or not. I noticed that there is a 0 pin connector on it. Is there a computer
              program that I can download and a drop I can build to "look" into the
              charger?

              Thanks again for your help.
              Larry

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 7, 2011
                Unplugging the charger from the pack allows you to check if it is causing
                your unexpected battery drain...

                You can also plug the charger into the wall with the battery pack
                disconnected... the charger should just turn on the yellow LED (since it
                will not detect the pack voltage).

                You can recharge each battery individually with a 12V battery charger one at
                a time, (if you have more than one 12V battery charger, then make sure they
                are isolated before connecting them to the pack).

                Using the monlog program:
                http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3300/monlog_e.exe
                A serial cable, and a laptop with a serial port. You can see what the
                charger thinks is going on:
                http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3300/images/IMG_8120.jpg

                Wolf
                *wags his tail*
                www.wolftronix.com

              • Larry Oslund
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 18, 2011
                  Hi Wolf,
                  Thanks for the suggestions below. I am still stumped - here is what I have
                  tried.
                  I have unplugged the charger from the pack - there does not appear to be a
                  drain on the pack any longer.

                  I have plugged the charger into the wall with the battery pack disconnected
                  also.. The yellow LED does not light up.
                  Before, the yellow light would be on (but this is when the charger was
                  connected to the pack too)- and I could hear something in the charger
                  clicker every 6 or 7 seconds, and the yellow light would blink on and off
                  with the clicking in the charger. It was almost like something was building
                  up a little charge (and then it would release it.) It does not do that any
                  longer however. I just tried it.

                  I have all the rear batteries exposed now. There was a little bit of
                  condensation in the box, but it has now evaporated, so do not think there
                  should be a bad reading from the sensor in this battery compartment unless
                  the sensor is bad.

                  Is there a way to test each sensor (all the sensors) to make sure one of
                  them is not bad.

                  Also, I have not been able to get to the batteries in the front yet to try
                  and recharge them individually. It looks like I have to take out quite a few
                  components. what is the easiest way to get to these batteries.

                  you said:
                  *You can recharge each battery individually with a 12V battery charger one
                  at a time, (if you have more than one 12V battery charger, then make sure
                  they are isolated before connecting them to the pack).*

                  What do you mean by "isolated"? I actually have 13 different 12V charges
                  (from a different project). Can't I just connect them all to each individual
                  battery without disconnection all the batteries from each other, as long as
                  I don't have the pack plugged into the charger.
                  You also said:
                  *Using the monlog program:
                  **http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3300/monlog_e.exe*<http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3300/monlog_e.exe>
                  *A serial cable, and a laptop with a serial port. You can see what the
                  charger thinks is going on:
                  *
                  I have a serial cable - 9 pins on both sides, but every laptop I own only
                  has a 15 pin serial connector, which I think is for a monitor. My oldest
                  laptop is a 9 year old HP with XP on it, and it is basically the same. I
                  need to find one that has this 9-pin on it, right?

                  You also mentioned that you had an extra charger that you thought was OK
                  that you could possibly send to me to swap out and see it if works, if I
                  could pay the shipping. More than happy to do that. Please contact me about
                  setting this up.

                  Sorry for the all the questions - this has been a frustrating ordeal for me
                  so far and I still feel miles away from getting my car back on the road.
                  Thanks in advance for any help! :)

                  Larry
                  828-216-7860