E-10 Battery replacement complete!

  • Tom Hudson
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2000
      I just finished up the replacement of the 24 batteries in our Solectria E-10
      pickup, and it's charging up now. No surprises in the completion of the
      installation, but it took longer than I had anticipated (what doesn't?) and
      after working on it a few hours yesterday, I finished up the job this
      morning.

      The battery monitoring system is working perfectly, and I can see the
      voltage on all the batteries in each string at once. I have a set of
      PowerCheq modules I'll be hooking up later this week, if I get the parts I
      need from Mouser electronics. For those of you not familiar with the
      PowerCheq units, each one gets mounted across two batteries, and it shuffles
      current around as needed to keep the batteries in balance. More about this
      after I get them installed.

      I'm pretty excited about finally getting the truck fully functional; We've
      been driving it around on just one string of batteries since we got it back
      in May, and its range was limited to around 10 miles because of the poor
      condition of the remaining batteries. The next week or so will see a lot of
      short-distance, low-power trips as we break in the new pack.

      -Tom

      Thomas Hudson
      http://asterius.com/solectria/ho -- Our Electric Vehicles
      http://asterius.com/solectria/ho/pvs.htm -- Solar Power