Re: [solectria_ev] Re: Complete Shutdown ?

  • Tom Hudson
    Message 1 of 18 , May 10, 2011
      The soft THUNK is normal, it happens when the controller is turned on.

      I do wonder if something went bad in the controller when you heard the warbly sound this
      morning, and that is what blew the pack fuse. Something blew it, that's for sure -- those
      things are pretty robust and despite all the weird stuff I've done to my Force and E-10
      I've never blown one. :-\

      -Tom

      On 5/10/2011 4:36 PM, m wrote:

      > Hmmmm,,,,,
      >
      > Did you say "THUNK" ? :)
      >
      > I heard a loud ,"thunk" , I've never heard before.
      >
      > I had my hand on the controller box and felt a "thunk" .
      > It was a little louder then any thing I've heard before.
      > Normal or BAD ?
      >
      > I'll try again tomorrow and wait. I'll bring another controller with me as well.
      > I had to leave the car at work. I did bring the controller home.
      > I'll take a careful look inside.
      >

      > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com <mailto:solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com>, Wolf
      > <wolf@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Wait 5 minutes after applying power to the controller, it has to pre-charge
      > > the bulk caps...
      > >
      > > Then, check to see if you hear a "thunk" from the motor controller when you
      > > turn on the key...
      > >
      > > If not you might have also blown the fuse in the controller... :(
      > >
      > > Wolf
      > > *wags his tail*
      > > www.wolftronix.com
      > > On May 10, 2011 12:17 PM, "m" <packratdaddy@...> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Ok, yes there is.
      > > >
      > > > Now I remember. :)
      > > >
      > > > EDISON
      > > > Semiconductor Fuse 240v AC
      > > > E160LET
      > > >
      > > > Yes it is fried.
      > > >
      > > > I removed it and joined the batteries without it for now.
      > > > Everything lit back up.
      > > > Ah meter working, charging great.
      > > >
      > > > But, the car will not go .
      > > >
      > > > Could I have fried some relay somewhere ? Other part ?

      Thomas Hudson
      http://portev.org -- Electric Vehicles, Solar Power& More
      http://klanky.com -- Animation Projects

    • m
      Message 2 of 18 , May 11, 2011
        I opened up my controller top and bottom.

        Everything looked ok.
        All the fuses were fine as well.
        Nothing obvious to my untrained eye.
        I took pictures and put it back together.

        I'll put it back in and wait a while as Wolf advised.
        What is the normal "thunk" sound indicate ?
        A relay ?

        Wish me luck.
        I've got an extra controller as well.

        Does anyone know a source for those EDISON fuses?
        Message 3 of 18 , May 11, 2011
          Try Fuesco for that fuse. They have a large number of Busmann fuses and have that one in stock.

          They have supply centers in a number of places and will ship. Dallas fuseco number is 214 357 6676. Another one in ATL and California.

          Trouble is they aren't cheap. Be read to pay about $26 something plus shipping.

          FWIW I saw a auction for a box of 10 180LET's (used in later Force pack)on ebay a few years ago and they were very cheap per fuse. Didn't need ten. But worth doing a google/ebay search.

          Mike R

          Message 4 of 18 , May 11, 2011
            Thanks for the Fuse Info.

            Update on the Force.

            I reinstalled the controller AMC230.

            Nothing happened after waiting 5 minutes or longer.

            Within the first few minutes I heard a sound.
            It sounded like someone hitting the inside of a metal box .
            It kept happening about once every minute.
            After 4 times I disconnected the controller.

            Before the fuse pop nothing happened like that before.

            I'll be getting that other controller tonight or soon to test it out.

            I'll post pics of the internals of the controller in the PHOTOS section and in a Zip folder in FILES (larger)
            Message 5 of 18 , May 11, 2011
              I have actually seen a controller do this, it was a UMOC not an AMC... But
              they are similar...

              The "thunk" sound is the line contactor (relay) clicking in and out...

              One set of auxiliary contacts are used to sense if the relay is closed or
              open.

              On this controller the auxiliary contact went bad... So the micro never saw
              the relay close.

              It would then keep retrying after about a minute...

              I swapped the relay on, off sense wires to another auxiliary contact set,
              and the the controller would keep the relay on. :)

              http://www.wolftronix.com/umoc340_15/images/IMG_0194.jpg

              http://www.wolftronix.com/umoc340_15/images/IMG_0973.jpg

              Again, not the same controller, but similar. :)

              Wolf
              *wags his tail*
              www.wolftronix.com

            • EricKrofchak@verizon.net
              Message 6 of 18 , May 11, 2011
                Don't know about getting the 180amp fuses.
                When I blew one I changed it out with a 200amp
                as I happened into a small pile of them for
                free. I can get you one if you want to try it.

                Eric

                Message 7 of 18 , May 11, 2011
                  That does sound just like my scenario.

                  On the AMC230 that relay is fit quite snugly on that board.

                  I'll have to take a close look at how it's mounted.

                  Is there a way to test which contactor is bad?

                  Mechanically ?

                  Continuity check etc ?

                  I don't have a bench testing setup.

                  I'll look up specs on it first if they are out there.
                  I know some have covers and come apart. I've mostly seen them on large machine control panels with plenty of room !

                  Hope I can do the same wire swap.

                  Thanks !!!
                • m
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 12, 2011
                    Good news so far !!!

                    Wolf was correct.

                    And the borrowed controller worked !
                    I let it sit connected till the caps charged up.
                    I'll be driving the car home today !

                    Now , I just need to fix my controller or get it fixed.

                    I need to know which wires to move to an aux contactor.

                    Thanks everybody !!!
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 13, 2011
                      If your relay has a manual plunger (some do, some don't), you can use an ohm
                      meter to check the continuity between the contacts by pressing down on the
                      plunger while measuring the resistance. It should go to 0 ohms when pressed
                      / pulled in.

                      I have also seen another problem that can cause the same symptom. There are
                      two circuits that control the relay, A high voltage circuit and a low
                      voltage circuit.

                      The high voltage circuit applies [momentary] pack voltage thru a PTC
                      thermistor (limits the current) to the relay's coil.

                      The low voltage circuit applies [continuous] 18 volts to keep the relay
                      pulled in.

                      If the low voltage circuit is not working any more, that will cause the same
                      result as bad relay on/off sense contacts.

                      Wolf
                      *wags his tail*
                      www.wolftronix.com