odometer reading on your Solectria vehicle or Solectria/Azure drive system?

  • bzsilverman
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 25, 2011
      Hello solectria_ev-ers

      I have been asked to estimate how many total miles have been accrued by all Solectria/Azure vehicles/drives.

      If you can please email me your vehicle's odometer reading and the last few digits of your VIN, I will add it to my records and try to use it to estimate the total mileage of all Solectrias.

      If you have a Solectria or Azure drive system only, I would also love to know the mileage you have on your system, and your DMOC or UMOC serial number if you have it.

      Thank you in advance!

      Beth Silverman
      Azure Dynamics, formerly Solectria
      bsilverman@...
    • Reed Bement
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 25, 2011
        Beth,
        Thanks for your continued support of these drive systems!

        VIN: 2C1MR5223W6722384

        Odometer Miles: 44,242

        -Reed Bement

        On 2011-04-25, at 11:11 AM, bzsilverman wrote:

        > Hello solectria_ev-ers
        >
        > I have been asked to estimate how many total miles have been accrued by all Solectria/Azure vehicles/drives.
        >
        > If you can please email me your vehicle's odometer reading and the last few digits of your VIN, I will add it to my records and try to use it to estimate the total mileage of all Solectrias.
        >
        > If you have a Solectria or Azure drive system only, I would also love to know the mileage you have on your system, and your DMOC or UMOC serial number if you have it.
        >
        > Thank you in advance!
        >
        > Beth Silverman
        > Azure Dynamics, formerly Solectria
        > bsilverman@...

      • Reed Bement
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 25, 2011
          Sorry for spamming the list. I intended to send to Beth only. -Reed
          On 2011-04-25, at 12:01 PM, Reed Bement wrote:

          > Beth,
          > Thanks for your continued support of these drive systems!
          >
          > VIN: 2C1MR5223W6722384
          >
          > Odometer Miles: 44,242
          >

          > -Reed Bement
          >

          > On 2011-04-25, at 11:11 AM, bzsilverman wrote:
          >
          >> Hello solectria_ev-ers
          >>
          >> I have been asked to estimate how many total miles have been accrued by all Solectria/Azure vehicles/drives.
          >>
          >> If you can please email me your vehicle's odometer reading and the last few digits of your VIN, I will add it to my records and try to use it to estimate the total mileage of all Solectrias.
          >>
          >> If you have a Solectria or Azure drive system only, I would also love to know the mileage you have on your system, and your DMOC or UMOC serial number if you have it.
          >>
          >> Thank you in advance!
          >>
          >> Beth Silverman
          >> Azure Dynamics, formerly Solectria
          >> bsilverman@...

        • d. Bouton Baldridge
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 27, 2011
            Hi Beth,
            My 1992 VIN# 2c1mr2465n6764889 has almost 29,000 miles.
            Does the oldest or most distance get a prize? Just kidding..
            BTW mine had a solar panel as OEM it has been replaced with a 223w and I have not plugged it in in over one year, over 500 miles.
            D. Bouton Baldridge
            Wimington, NC

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 27, 2011
              Could you elaborate on the PV setup?

              Thanks, Bill Swann
              www.promotingevs.com
              www.watt-tracker.com

              On Apr 27, 2011, at 10:23 AM, "d. Bouton Baldridge" <cfrkeepr@...> wrote:

              > Hi Beth,
              > My 1992 VIN# 2c1mr2465n6764889 has almost 29,000 miles.
              > Does the oldest or most distance get a prize? Just kidding..
              > BTW mine had a solar panel as OEM it has been replaced with a 223w and I have not plugged it in in over one year, over 500 miles.
              > D. Bouton Baldridge
              > Wimington, NC

            • d. Bouton Baldridge
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 27, 2011
                Hi Bill,
                The car was equiped with all Solectria hardware: the thin film panel and MPST (1.5A) When I towed it from Ill to NC the original panel (about 20 watts) delaminated and blew off. Not knowing the size, I replaced it w/ a rigid 50w  12v which kept tripping the MPST which I sent back to Solectria who said it worked fine. I learned that it was only 1.5a so I bought a 6 amp  from Metric Mind which alows for the greater current flow. The 50w blew off too so I replaced it w/ the 223w 35v panel thats on there today. I have reinforced my roof mount but generally I never go over 35 anyway. Typically on a sunny day, The sun can put about 1.0A for three or four hours arround noon, and somewhat less than an amp during the rest of the day. In the warm weather, (higher than 80 degrees) I use less than one amphour/mile; in the winter below 50 it uses about 1.25 amphours/mile. So you can see that driving in the winter is a bit more of a challenge to plan my trips
                very carefully and I often try to park on slants to maximize the solar ray efficiencies. It is never going to pay for itself, the panel was $800, The MPST was $900 but I really like not using any fossil fuel, and the panel definetly attracts attention, so people can get the idea that it is possible to drive without gasolene or coal.

                Bouty

                > My 1992 VIN# 2c1mr2465n6764889 has almost 29,000 miles.
                > Does the oldest or most distance get a prize? Just kidding..
                > BTW mine had a solar panel as OEM it has been replaced with a 223w and I have not plugged it in in over one year, over 500 miles.
                > D. Bouton Baldridge
                > Wimington, NC

              • William Swann
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 27, 2011
                  Ditto on not using any fossel fuel. But I am very curious about the MPST.
                  Apparently, it is a DC/DC converter that boosts panel voltage to pack
                  voltage. Seems like I might have asked about it before, and someone referred
                  me to Metric Mind. No reply from them. Where can I find out more information
                  about the MPST. Does it have *maximum power point tracking* (MPPT)? I think
                  MPPT maximizes the efficiency of the solar panel.

                  On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 11:38 AM, d. Bouton Baldridge <cfrkeepr@...>wrote:

                  > Hi Bill,
                  > The car was equiped with all Solectria hardware: the thin film panel and
                  > MPST (1.5A) When I towed it from Ill to NC the original panel (about 20
                  > watts) delaminated and blew off. Not knowing the size, I replaced it w/ a
                  > rigid 50w 12v which kept tripping the MPST which I sent back to Solectria
                  > who said it worked fine. I learned that it was only 1.5a so I bought a 6 amp
                  > from Metric Mind which alows for the greater current flow. The 50w blew off
                  > too so I replaced it w/ the 223w 35v panel thats on there today. I have
                  > reinforced my roof mount but generally I never go over 35 anyway. Typically
                  > on a sunny day, The sun can put about 1.0A for three or four hours arround
                  > noon, and somewhat less than an amp during the rest of the day. In the warm
                  > weather, (higher than 80 degrees) I use less than one amphour/mile; in the
                  > winter below 50 it uses about 1.25 amphours/mile. So you can see that
                  > driving in the winter is a bit more of a challenge to plan my trips
                  > very carefully and I often try to park on slants to maximize the solar ray
                  > efficiencies. It is never going to pay for itself, the panel was $800, The
                  > MPST was $900 but I really like not using any fossil fuel, and the panel
                  > definetly attracts attention, so people can get the idea that it is possible
                  > to drive without gasolene or coal.
                  >
                  > Bouty

                  Thanks, Bill S
                  Ph 832-338-3080
                  www.watt-tracker.com
                  www.promotingevs.com

                • d. Bouton Baldridge
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 27, 2011
                    Hi Bill,
                    That's exactly right, they called it (Maximum Power Solar Tracker) and It was just like the other stuff that Solectria sold: Brusa under their label. I guess MM does not offer them any more, but any MPPT will do. Mine fortunately was set at 150v kick-in and 170 v shutdown, so it works perfectly w/the lithium, purely by accident. I think that I saw some on Real Goods too, but other places have them also, I am sure the price is higher as well
                    Bouty

                    Ditto on not using any fossel fuel. But I am very curious about the MPST.
                    Apparently, it is a DC/DC converter that boosts panel voltage to pack
                    voltage. Seems like I might have asked about it before, and someone referred
                    me to Metric Mind. No reply from them. Where can I find out more information
                    about the MPST. Does it have *maximum power point tracking* (MPPT)? I think
                    MPPT maximizes the efficiency of the solar panel.

                    On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 11:38 AM, d. Bouton Baldridge <cfrkeepr@...>wrote:

                    > Hi Bill,
                    > The car was equiped with all Solectria hardware: the thin film panel and
                    > MPST (1.5A) When I towed it from Ill to NC the original panel (about 20
                    > watts) delaminated and blew off. Not knowing the size, I replaced it w/ a
                    > rigid 50w  12v which kept tripping the MPST which I sent back to Solectria
                    > who said it worked fine. I learned that it was only 1.5a so I bought a 6 amp
                    >  from Metric Mind which alows for the greater current flow. The 50w blew off
                    > too so I replaced it w/ the 223w 35v panel thats on there today. I have
                    > reinforced my roof mount but generally I never go over 35 anyway. Typically
                    > on a sunny day, The sun can put about 1.0A for three or four hours arround
                    > noon, and somewhat less than an amp during the rest of the day. In the warm
                    > weather, (higher than 80 degrees) I use less than one amphour/mile; in the
                    > winter below 50 it uses about 1.25 amphours/mile. So you can see that
                    > driving in the winter is a bit more of a challenge to plan my trips
                    > very carefully and I often try to park on slants to maximize the solar ray
                    > efficiencies. It is never going to pay for itself, the panel was $800, The
                    > MPST was $900 but I really like not using any fossil fuel, and the panel
                    > definetly attracts attention, so people can get the idea that it is possible
                    > to drive without gasolene or coal.
                    >
                    > Bouty

                    Thanks, Bill S
                    Ph 832-338-3080
                    www.watt-tracker.com
                    www.promotingevs.com

                  • William Swann
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 27, 2011
                      Called Real Goods, and their solution could not go as high as 150-170 v. Any
                      other ideas? Vicor maybe?

                      On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 1:50 PM, d. Bouton Baldridge <cfrkeepr@...>wrote:

                      > Hi Bill,
                      > That's exactly right, they called it (Maximum Power Solar Tracker) and It
                      > was just like the other stuff that Solectria sold: Brusa under their label.
                      > I guess MM does not offer them any more, but any MPPT will do. Mine
                      > fortunately was set at 150v kick-in and 170 v shutdown, so it works
                      > perfectly w/the lithium, purely by accident. I think that I saw some on Real
                      > Goods too, but other places have them also, I am sure the price is higher as
                      > well
                      > Bouty

                      Thanks, Bill S
                      Ph 832-338-3080
                      www.watt-tracker.com
                      www.promotingevs.com

                    • Jay Grossman
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 28, 2011
                        1995 Solectria Force pba 156V 13 Deka 8G27m
                        Vin 72155
                        AC325 S/N 1147
                        ODO 65,537

                        Vehicle history
                        Owner 1 NY Power
                        Owner 2 City of White Plains
                        Owner 3 Jay H Grossman

                        Jay H Grossman

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 29, 2011
                          Sorry Bill,
                          I did some checking too and  the places I used to see some are not offering them
                          any more, 'Brusa says they can make what ever you want< I am sure at a stiff
                          price, but  I'll bet somebody makes them just keep looking. I guess that I just
                          got lucky. I still have the 1.5a model which would be ok with a high voltage
                          panel.
                          Bouty

                          ________________________________
                          Called Real Goods, and their solution could not go as high as 150-170 v. Any
                          other ideas? Vicor maybe?

                          On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 1:50 PM, d. Bouton Baldridge <cfrkeepr@...>wrote:

                          > Hi Bill,
                          > That's exactly right, they called it (Maximum Power Solar Tracker) and It
                          > was just like the other stuff that Solectria sold: Brusa under their label.
                          > I guess MM does not offer them any more, but any MPPT will do. Mine
                          > fortunately was set at 150v kick-in and 170 v shutdown, so it works
                          > perfectly w/the lithium, purely by accident. I think that I saw some on Real
                          > Goods too, but other places have them also, I am sure the price is higher as
                          > well
                          > Bouty

                          Thanks, Bill S
                          Ph 832-338-3080
                          www.watt-tracker.com
                          www.promotingevs.com

                        • Ray Darby
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 29, 2011
                            I would think a solar voltage converter should work in conjunction with a MPPT charge controller. I didn't do an exhaustive search but I did find these folks -
                            http://www.solarconverters.com/

                            Called Real Goods, and their solution could not go as high as 150-170 v. Any
                            other ideas? Vicor maybe?

                            On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 1:50 PM, d. Bouton Baldridge <cfrkeepr@...>wrote:

                            > Hi Bill,
                            > That's exactly right, they called it (Maximum Power Solar Tracker) and It
                            > was just like the other stuff that Solectria sold: Brusa under their label.
                            > I guess MM does not offer them any more, but any MPPT will do. Mine
                            > fortunately was set at 150v kick-in and 170 v shutdown, so it works
                            > perfectly w/the lithium, purely by accident. I think that I saw some on Real
                            > Goods too, but other places have them also, I am sure the price is higher as
                            > well
                            > Bouty

                            Thanks, Bill S
                            Ph 832-338-3080
                            www.watt-tracker.com
                            www.promotingevs.com

                          • William Swann
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 29, 2011
                              Vicar has a solution. I will forward the details, when I get them. It involves the mppt part, as well as the voltage boost to pack voltage.

                              Thanks, Bill Swann
                              www.promotingevs.com
                              www.watt-tracker.com

                            • d. Bouton Baldridge
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 29, 2011
                                Hi Bill, I found my manual and it is a Brusa MPT-6 which still should be
                                available there is also a MPT-15 if you plan to have a larger array. they are
                                preset @ 170v output shutoff which is ideal for the Solectria. I don't know who
                                sells them now,but maybe MMC could order it for you.

                                Bouty