Front battery box spacing

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6 8:02 PM
      I finally got in my order of 24 Deka Dominator Group 24 batteries. :)

      I modded over a 12V charger to only put out a max of 14.0 volts to top
      charge the batteries and get them balanced before I put them in the truck,
      (since I never got the measurements of the post spacing the battery balancer
      will be delayed a bit).

      My truck was a 36 U1 battery truck (3 parallel strings of 12), 24 batteries
      in the back and 12 in the front (front stack was a dual layer, 8 on the
      bottom and 4 on top).
      The batteries fit perfectly in the battery boxes.

      I know that later Solectria trucks started using 24 Group 24 batteries
      instead of 36 U1 batteries...

      I was able to fit 17 group 24 batteries in the back, which means I need to
      fit 7 more in the front battery box.

      I can fit 5 batteries in the front box and, I need to place 2 batteries on
      top.
      In this configuration the top 2 batteries stick up two high...

      However if I lay the top two batteries on their sides it looks like it will
      fit...
      But I don't think it is a good idea to run the batteries on their side (info
      I found on the net say you can, and some say you can't).

      It looks like I can just add a 3.5" spacer between the battery box and the
      cover...
      This would bring the top of my front battery box about 1" lower then the
      closed hood at its closest point.
      And would leave plenty of room for batteries in the front box. :)

      So the following questions are for other E10 owners with Group 24
      batteries:
      How are the batteries placed in your truck?
      And how much space is there between the closed hood and the top of the
      battery box?

      Thanks for any help. :)

      Wolf
      *wags his tail*