LED Bulbs and Headlights ?

  • m
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 29, 2011
      Has anyone switched there Solectria to LED Bulbs and Headlights ?

      If so, please post suppliers or sources etc.

      Are they any more efficient ?

      Thanks,

      MArk

      1994 Solectria
      19-22nf

      Back on the road !!!
      The snow is melted but threatening to come back for an encore . :)
    • Douglas Coleman
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 29, 2011
        I don't own a Solectria but have done several conversions to electric. I don't believe there are any LED headlights available yet as only one or two high end car manufacturers have adopted them and they are very pricy. A better change would be to install HID headlights. You could either find used ones in junkyards from German or Japanese cars or there are several Chinese companies making inexpensive conversion kits that can be found on line from Performance car shops. I've read they only use abut 25 to 35 watts of power compared with the stock lights which can draw 300 watts which would be a considerable savings if you do much night driving or run you lights all the time.
        LED bulbs are available for tail light and interior lights. Look up the bulb model for your lights and then go to an auto parts store like Kragen or a similar company 0n line. They are relatively inexpensive and much brighter and use less energy. And LEDs don't typically burn out.
        Douglas Coleman
        Member Electric Automobile Association
        San Leandro, CA

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 29, 2011
          I don't own a Solectria but have done several conversions to electric. I don't believe there are any LED headlights available yet as only one or two high end car manufacturers have adopted them and they are very pricy. A better change would be to install HID headlights. You could either find used ones in junkyards from German or Japanese cars or there are several Chinese companies making inexpensive conversion kits that can be found on line from Performance car shops. I've read they only use abut 25 to 35 watts of power compared with the stock lights which can draw 300 watts which would be a considerable savings if you do much night driving or run you lights all the time.
          LED bulbs are available for tail light and interior lights. Look up the bulb model for your lights and then go to an auto parts store like Kragen or a similar company 0n line. They are relatively inexpensive and much brighter and use less energy. And LEDs don't typically burn out.
          Douglas Coleman
          Member Electric Automobile Association
          San Leandro, CA

          On Mar 29, 2011, at 5:27 AM, m wrote:

          > Has anyone switched there Solectria to LED Bulbs and Headlights ?
          >
          > If so, please post suppliers or sources etc.
          >
          > Are they any more efficient ?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > MArk
          >
          > 1994 Solectria
          > 19-22nf
          >
          > Back on the road !!!
          > The snow is melted but threatening to come back for an encore . :)
        • Doug Brentlinger
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 29, 2011
            http://www.streetrodhq.com/detail/31755/LED_HEADLAMP_V_W_POLYCARBONATE_LENS_H_PLUG_DOT.html

            If I got all of the url, this is a source for a 7" led headlight for cars.

            ________________________________
            I don't own a Solectria but have done several conversions to electric. I don't
            believe there are any LED headlights available yet as only one or two high end
            car manufacturers have adopted them and they are very pricy. A better change
            would be to install HID headlights. You could either find used ones in junkyards
            from German or Japanese cars or there are several Chinese companies making
            inexpensive conversion kits that can be found on line from Performance car
            shops. I've read they only use abut 25 to 35 watts of power compared with the
            stock lights which can draw 300 watts which would be a considerable savings if
            you do much night driving or run you lights all the time.
            LED bulbs are available for tail light and interior lights. Look up the bulb
            model for your lights and then go to an auto parts store like Kragen or a
            similar company 0n line. They are relatively inexpensive and much brighter and
            use less energy. And LEDs don't typically burn out.
            Douglas Coleman
            Member Electric Automobile Association
            San Leandro, CA

            On Mar 29, 2011, at 5:27 AM, m wrote:

            > Has anyone switched there Solectria to LED Bulbs and Headlights ?
            >
            > If so, please post suppliers or sources etc.
            >
            > Are they any more efficient ?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > MArk
            >
            > 1994 Solectria
            > 19-22nf
            >
            > Back on the road !!!
            > The snow is melted but threatening to come back for an encore . :)

          • Rick Beebe
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 29, 2011
              On 03/29/2011 01:03 PM, Doug Brentlinger wrote:
              > http://www.streetrodhq.com/detail/31755/LED_HEADLAMP_V_W_POLYCARBONATE_LENS_H_PLUG_DOT.html
              >
              > If I got all of the url, this is a source for a 7" led headlight for cars.

              You got the URL right, but it says "Discontinued Item" at the bottom of
              the page.

              --Rick
            • Doug Brentlinger
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 29, 2011
                Too bad! I was interested, didn't see that.

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 29, 2011
                  I've switched a couple of ev's over to LED bulbs.
                  I've bought from a couple of different companies
                  (don't have the names off hand). Only thing I'd like
                  to note, don't buy the small cheap led lights, spring for
                  the brightest ones you can get. The cheap ones are way
                  to dim.

                  Eric

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 29, 2011