Re: [solectria_ev] AMC325 problems

  • Reed Bement
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 27, 2011
      It sounds like you have a controller problem to me. The PWM should stay on even with the motor unplugged, at least on low current. If you want to open the controller, I would take the case off and reseat all connectors and socketed parts on the three main PCB's. By that I mean pull them off/out and reconnect/reseat them one at a time. The wiping action may restore a good connection. There are also several fuses you can check. Checking the output transistors with a DVM is pretty easy, and they are pretty accessible with the case off.

      -Reed

      On 2011-01-27, at 8:10 AM, Ken Olum wrote:

      > I had the idea to put a clamp on ammeter around the output wires from
      > my controller. Surprisingly, when I stepped on the pedal, there is
      > sometimes a bit of current there. With my DVM on maximum
      > reading, I can see an amp or two now and then. I suspect this
      > may really be a higher current in a very short pulse. So the
      > controller output side is not 100% dead.
      >
      > The monitoring output looks as follows. Before I push the pedal
      > to the power point, BER ("ready") is 1, desired motor current
      > ("Motorstromm soll", "Motor current ref.") is naturally 0, and actual
      > motor current is usually 0.7A with occasional fluctuation to 1.4A. I
      > assume this is just inaccuracy in the reading. "Voltage vector"
      > (Spannugs-Zeiger) is a few. I don't know the meaning of this or its
      > units.
      >
      > When I ask for power, desired motor current goes occasionally to tens
      > of amps. "Voltage vector" goes occasionally to large numbers like
      > 170. Battery voltage and the reported actual motor current have no
      > significant change. My ammeter sometimes sees a few amps. The BER
      > value fluctuates between 1 and 0. The PWM outputs (C**) sometimes
      > fluctuate also. If I unplug the motor wires, the result is exactly
      > the same except, of course, for the ammeter reading. I suppose with
      > the motor unplugged this is probably what the controller should do.
      >
      > My guess would be that the controller attempts to start but then
      > detects or thinks it has detected some error condition and shuts down
      > (BER=0).
      >
      > Do I have a broken controller? A broken motor? I have at least
      > checked that the motor windings are not open.
      >
      > Wolf, you probably know the most about AMC325s of anyone here. Do you
      > have any ideas? Other tests I can do? Reed, any ideas? Anybody have
      > a Force within driving range of Sharon, MA that would like to try a
      > controller swap?
      >
      > Thanks, everyone.
      >
      > Ken

    • geo_homsy2
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 17, 2012
        Yes, it's not that hard to make your own. But time consuming. Depends on what you want to spend your time on. I'd rather be messing with my AMC325 parameters than building a converter.

        http://www.focalprice.com/CN056X/Data_Communication_Product_RS232RS422_Converter.html#.UM9k6oNE7s0

        eight bucks, free shipping.

        WARNING: Buy two of them. I bought three, and one was bad from the factory. And focalprice doesn't respond to RMA requests, so "you get what you pay for".

        Of course, if you want reliability and customer service, there is also:

        http://www.usconverters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=180

        etc etc etc no shortage of them.

        Also, you may want to consider installing a programming pigtail, as I did, so you have a permanent programming plug on the outside of the box. I used half of an RJ-45 ethernet cable, and a watertight entry gland.

        //Geo