Force won't go: speed sensor problems?

  • Ken Olum
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 8, 2011
      My 1998 Force will not go. It failed while sitting in the garage
      being charged. Nothing happens when I step on the accelerator. I
      have checked that when I turn on the key and move the speed selector
      to neutral I hear a click from the ignition box and then a clunk from
      the controller. I have checked that DB25 from the ignition box is
      putting out sensible signals. In particular, the potbox is working,
      the forward/reverse wires are connected when you switch the control,
      and the "drive current disable" feature is not on. I've checked that
      battery voltage is available on the big Anderson connector to the
      controller.

      So now I'm suspicious of the speed sensor. The Brusa AMC325 manual
      does not give the specs for the DB9 connection to the motor. Is it
      the same one given here for the UMOC to motor DB9 connection?:
      What is the minimum the AMC325 needs to see on DB9 in order to
      energize the motor?

      Thanks.

      Ken
    • geo_homsy2
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 17, 2012
        Yes, it's not that hard to make your own. But time consuming. Depends on what you want to spend your time on. I'd rather be messing with my AMC325 parameters than building a converter.

        http://www.focalprice.com/CN056X/Data_Communication_Product_RS232RS422_Converter.html#.UM9k6oNE7s0

        eight bucks, free shipping.

        WARNING: Buy two of them. I bought three, and one was bad from the factory. And focalprice doesn't respond to RMA requests, so "you get what you pay for".

        Of course, if you want reliability and customer service, there is also:

        http://www.usconverters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=180

        etc etc etc no shortage of them.

        Also, you may want to consider installing a programming pigtail, as I did, so you have a permanent programming plug on the outside of the box. I used half of an RJ-45 ethernet cable, and a watertight entry gland.

        //Geo