RE: [solectria_ev] Lithium Upgrades

  • Charles Bliss
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2011
      New BMS that has been in development for some time. Has capability for
      throttle cutback, charger cycling and shunts a bit more current during
      charging than others. The charger is also new and auto switches input
      voltage, is about 40kw, and interfaces with the BMS.

      As to the box, I can post images of the models after I finish them, but what
      I am wondering now, is there enough interest for me to spend the extra time
      to make them production worthy or if I should just go one off. I have done
      a Prius box that I can post images of. Haven't finished the Solectria
      models yet.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2011
        Good job Charles,

        I like your idea of having a more robust balancer. I still have to
        manually equalize my pack occasionally because my balancer can't keep
        up when the charger is at full output. There are often a few cells
        that reach the 3.8V shut-off point before the charger steps down it's
        output. Next week I'm sending the charger in to have the step-down
        point set a bit lower (167V instead of 173~175V).

        I moved 4 typically good cells into the most negative positions of my
        pack, spots 1 through 3, because these continually read lower in the
        morning than the rest of the pack. These previously proven good cells
        now show the lowest voltage in the morning. Typically #1 is the
        lowest. I have individual cell chargers that I occasionally use to
        bring them up to match the pack. I write this so that other converters
        will know that the cells nearest the negative cable in the front box
        drain slightly overnight, possibly due to the DC/DC always being on.

        Charles wrote:

        > The boxes are for compression of the cells, and sit inside the
        > existing boxes.

        I'm wondering if anyone on the list knows how much compression the
        100ah cells really need to keep from expanding. Mine came with four
        steel bands wrapped *very* tightly around each group of 4 cells.
        Pictures on the "Lithium Arrives" page of the blog. Mine don't get hot
        because I use a 120V charger set to pull 11 amps max. (I'm on a 15 amp
        breaker at work) so maybe it's only an issue if you are rapid
        charging. If you are putting individual cells into a box, I'm
        wondering if you can get the ends of the box to be tight and sturdy
        enough to prevent expansion and still get the cells into the box
        (without using oil and a sledge hammer ;-). I'm just guessing that my
        stock Solectria boxes would not keep the cells from expanding even if
        they were exactly the right dimension and I had to really squeeze them
        in.

        I will say that it's kinda fun to see the dash Ah meter reading 65 or
        70 and still have lots of energy left. I've only run the meter up to
        70 once. I'm still babying the pack because I'm hoping to run these
        cells until the wheels fall off the GEO, then use them in a car for my
        daughter.

        Pictures at:

        http://traildog.blogspot.com/

        Paul Martin
        1997 Force
        Ashland, Oregon

      • Lawrence Winiarski
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
          I have put about 2500 miles on my lithium solectria.   (48-100ah thundersky - minibms) in the last few months.   Ran it up to about 90 ah once...somewhere around 70 miles ..voltage was definitely dropping but it still went 55.

          Pretty darn happy...Last time I was at a gas station I think was november....getting gas for the mower.....kind of weird to go to a gas station in an electric car.