Lithium Upgrades

  • cbliss
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2011
      I am about to upgrade my '97 to lithium. I already have the batteries, 100AH Thundersky's and a new BMS system with integrated display and charger. I have designed a set of inserts for the existing battery boxes and going to have them made soon. The system will have 51 batteries total, 22 in front and 29 in the rear or 20 in front and 31 in the rear, not sure yet. The boxes are for compression of the cells, and sit inside the existing boxes.

      Is anyone else interested in doing a similar upgrade. I could have more than one set of boxes made up and can supply the charger, BMS and display as well.
    • William Swann
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2011
        Are there some pictures? What BMS?

        --
        Thanks, Bill S
        Ph 832-338-3080

      • Charles Bliss
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2011
          New BMS that has been in development for some time. Has capability for
          throttle cutback, charger cycling and shunts a bit more current during
          charging than others. The charger is also new and auto switches input
          voltage, is about 40kw, and interfaces with the BMS.

          As to the box, I can post images of the models after I finish them, but what
          I am wondering now, is there enough interest for me to spend the extra time
          to make them production worthy or if I should just go one off. I have done
          a Prius box that I can post images of. Haven't finished the Solectria
          models yet.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2011
            Good job Charles,

            I like your idea of having a more robust balancer. I still have to
            manually equalize my pack occasionally because my balancer can't keep
            up when the charger is at full output. There are often a few cells
            that reach the 3.8V shut-off point before the charger steps down it's
            output. Next week I'm sending the charger in to have the step-down
            point set a bit lower (167V instead of 173~175V).

            I moved 4 typically good cells into the most negative positions of my
            pack, spots 1 through 3, because these continually read lower in the
            morning than the rest of the pack. These previously proven good cells
            now show the lowest voltage in the morning. Typically #1 is the
            lowest. I have individual cell chargers that I occasionally use to
            bring them up to match the pack. I write this so that other converters
            will know that the cells nearest the negative cable in the front box
            drain slightly overnight, possibly due to the DC/DC always being on.

            Charles wrote:

            > The boxes are for compression of the cells, and sit inside the
            > existing boxes.

            I'm wondering if anyone on the list knows how much compression the
            100ah cells really need to keep from expanding. Mine came with four
            steel bands wrapped *very* tightly around each group of 4 cells.
            Pictures on the "Lithium Arrives" page of the blog. Mine don't get hot
            because I use a 120V charger set to pull 11 amps max. (I'm on a 15 amp
            breaker at work) so maybe it's only an issue if you are rapid
            charging. If you are putting individual cells into a box, I'm
            wondering if you can get the ends of the box to be tight and sturdy
            enough to prevent expansion and still get the cells into the box
            (without using oil and a sledge hammer ;-). I'm just guessing that my
            stock Solectria boxes would not keep the cells from expanding even if
            they were exactly the right dimension and I had to really squeeze them
            in.

            I will say that it's kinda fun to see the dash Ah meter reading 65 or
            70 and still have lots of energy left. I've only run the meter up to
            70 once. I'm still babying the pack because I'm hoping to run these
            cells until the wheels fall off the GEO, then use them in a car for my
            daughter.

            Pictures at:

            http://traildog.blogspot.com/

            Paul Martin
            1997 Force
            Ashland, Oregon

          • Lawrence Winiarski
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
              I have put about 2500 miles on my lithium solectria.   (48-100ah thundersky - minibms) in the last few months.   Ran it up to about 90 ah once...somewhere around 70 miles ..voltage was definitely dropping but it still went 55.

              Pretty darn happy...Last time I was at a gas station I think was november....getting gas for the mower.....kind of weird to go to a gas station in an electric car.