Heater relay.

  • Nick Austin
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 30, 2010
      Does anybody have a model number for a replacement heater relay?

      I'm pretty sure that's the problem with my intermittent heater.

      I've noted that it will not always click.
      Sometimes it will pull in and drop out several times in rapid succession.
      Getting to the contacts to measure coil voltage and what not during
      operation is pretty tricky, so I though I'd try replacing the relay and see
      if that helps.

      Thanks!

    • Charles Bliss
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 30, 2010
        I would think any properly rated relay should be fine. I don't think the
        chattering is caused by the relay but it can certainly destroy it.

        You might also check the thermostat. I don't know where either are but
        would be interested to know as I have a problem with my thermostat. My heat
        doesn't come on very often unless it is REALLY cold.

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 31, 2010
          One of my Solectrias has heater problems, which I've worked on. This
          '96 model has the pre-heat option and also air conditioning, which
          complicates the circuitry tremendously. But the relay you're looking
          for is behind the dash near the floor just right of the accelerator
          pedal. On mine, the relay is taped together with an electronic timer,
          which, I suppose, is intended to cycle the heater on and off. The
          heater relay is larger than the other relays under the dash in order
          to handle the high voltage and heavy load. (There are at least two
          other relays involved with the pre-heat.) Be careful of the 156V. It
          would be prudent to remove the 20A heater fuse before working on this.

          In answer to the original question, the relay is a Potter-Brumfeld
          KUEP 7D15-12. 12VDC coil. Contacts rated 5A 150VDC, 1/4 HP.

          By the way, I think I've chased my heater problem to intermittent
          contacts on the GEO blower speed selector switch in the dash. This is
          going to be tough to reach for repair or replacement. If I knew just
          where the switch contacts were, I'd try to spray contact cleaner into
          it.

          --Gordon Stallings--
          1999 Force (Green)
          1996 Force (White)

          On Dec 31, 2010, at 1:03 AM, Charles Bliss wrote:

          > I would think any properly rated relay should be fine. I don't
          > think the
          > chattering is caused by the relay but it can certainly destroy it.
          >
          > You might also check the thermostat. I don't know where either are
          > but
          > would be interested to know as I have a problem with my thermostat.
          > My heat
          > doesn't come on very often unless it is REALLY cold.

        • Gordon Stallings
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 31, 2010
            Followup: The more I think about it, I suspect your trouble may be
            the same as mine: intermittent contacts in the blower speed selector.
            This selector switch has two poles. One pole switches in resistors to
            vary the blower speed. The other pole switches 12V on for all
            positions except off. It is this pole that controls the heater
            relay. Although it's possible that the relay could be bad, I'd first
            look for a cause of the chattering in the circuit that feeds the relay
            coil. Try jiggling the switch lever up and down.

            Let me know if you find an easy way to fix the problem. Else, I may
            just take it to the Chevy dealership and have them replace the
            selector. This car apparently had some exposure to dampness and
            corrosion before I purchased it.

            --Gordon Stallings--

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 31, 2010
              Gordon,
              The fan switch is real easy to reach via the glove box opening. If you reach in there and squeeze the switch between your thumb and fingers in a top to bottom motion you'll probably find that it works fine. Apparently the housing doesn't stay tight enough to hold the contact mechanism in proper alignment.

              Discovered this way back in 2004 on my car. I put a PVC home made pincher clamp on the switch to replace my hand and it has worked great since.

              But my heater relay is still flaky. Sticks off when in use if it is cycled. Resets when it cools or when given a good wrap.

              Mike R
              97 Force

              --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Gordon Stallings <genki@...> wrote:

              > Followup: The more I think about it, I suspect your trouble may be
              > the same as mine: intermittent contacts in the blower speed selector.
              > This selector switch has two poles. One pole switches in resistors to
              > vary the blower speed. The other pole switches 12V on for all
              > positions except off. It is this pole that controls the heater
              > relay. Although it's possible that the relay could be bad, I'd first
              > look for a cause of the chattering in the circuit that feeds the relay
              > coil. Try jiggling the switch lever up and down.
              >
              > Let me know if you find an easy way to fix the problem. Else, I may
              > just take it to the Chevy dealership and have them replace the
              > selector. This car apparently had some exposure to dampness and
              > corrosion before I purchased it.
              >
              > --Gordon Stallings--
              > On Dec 30, 2010, at 10:05 PM, Nick Austin wrote:
              >
              > > Does anybody have a model number for a replacement heater relay?
              > >
              > > I'm pretty sure that's the problem with my intermittent heater.
              > >
              > > I've noted that it will not always click.
              > > Sometimes it will pull in and drop out several times in rapid
              > > succession.
              > > Getting to the contacts to measure coil voltage and what not during
              > > operation is pretty tricky, so I though I'd try replacing the relay
              > > and see
              > > if that helps.
              > >
              > > Thanks!

            • Ray Darby
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 31, 2010
                In my 96 Force the heater only works with the fan speed on high - any other selection and it doesn't work at all....I guess I always thought this was "normal" but is it?

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 31, 2010
                  Nope it is not normal. But that is what mine did when I first bought it. See my reply to Gordon. The fix can be pretty easy.
                  Mike R

                  --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Darby" <raydarby@...> wrote:

                  > In my 96 Force the heater only works with the fan speed on high - any other selection and it doesn't work at all....I guess I always thought this was "normal" but is it?

                • Gordon Stallings
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 31, 2010
                    Mike:
                    Thanks for the tip. It worked like a charm!! I now have heat at all
                    blower speeds. The conditions were just as you described: The upper
                    cover on the switch, which can be reached through the glove box
                    opening, raises up and the contacts don't touch. Pressing down fixes
                    it. I made a clamp from PVC, as you suggested. Five minutes' work
                    and it's fixed!

                    Thanks again!
                    --Gordon Stallings--

                  • gjc0@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 31, 2010
                      Greetings all:

                      You guys actually have your heater relay turn off when the fan is not running?
                      I only dream of such a feature!
                      I need to remember to turn the fan on whenever I turn on the heater.
                      Otherwise I get the unpleasant smell of barbequed dust.
                      At least the heater's resistance increases with temperature and it self-limits vs self-destructs.

                      Ah, just think. In six months we will be discussing air conditioning.

                      Sincerely,
                      Gary Carlson
                      1992 Solectria Force
                      ID License: AMPEATR

                    • Reed Bement
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 31, 2010
                        Thanks Mike. This fixes my flaky switch as well. I'll also note that on the '98 Solectria there is a time delay which should de-energize the relay and shut the heater down after one hour.

                        P/N: Q4F-03600-326
                        Data: http://www.weisd.com/store2/1-28.pdf

                        -Reed

                        On 2010-12-31, at 10:15 AM, ldr214 wrote:

                        > Gordon,
                        > The fan switch is real easy to reach via the glove box opening. If you reach in there and squeeze the switch between your thumb and fingers in a top to bottom motion you'll probably find that it works fine. Apparently the housing doesn't stay tight enough to hold the contact mechanism in proper alignment.
                        >
                        > Discovered this way back in 2004 on my car. I put a PVC home made pincher clamp on the switch to replace my hand and it has worked great since.
                        >
                        > But my heater relay is still flaky. Sticks off when in use if it is cycled. Resets when it cools or when given a good wrap.
                        >
                        > Mike R
                        > 97 Force
                        >
                        > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Gordon Stallings <genki@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Followup: The more I think about it, I suspect your trouble may be
                        >> the same as mine: intermittent contacts in the blower speed selector.
                        >> This selector switch has two poles. One pole switches in resistors to
                        >> vary the blower speed. The other pole switches 12V on for all
                        >> positions except off. It is this pole that controls the heater
                        >> relay. Although it's possible that the relay could be bad, I'd first
                        >> look for a cause of the chattering in the circuit that feeds the relay
                        >> coil. Try jiggling the switch lever up and down.
                        >>
                        >> Let me know if you find an easy way to fix the problem. Else, I may
                        >> just take it to the Chevy dealership and have them replace the
                        >> selector. This car apparently had some exposure to dampness and
                        >> corrosion before I purchased it.
                        >>
                        >> --Gordon Stallings--
                        >> On Dec 30, 2010, at 10:05 PM, Nick Austin wrote:
                        >>
                        >>> Does anybody have a model number for a replacement heater relay?
                        >>>
                        >>> I'm pretty sure that's the problem with my intermittent heater.
                        >>>
                        >>> I've noted that it will not always click.
                        >>> Sometimes it will pull in and drop out several times in rapid
                        >>> succession.
                        >>> Getting to the contacts to measure coil voltage and what not during
                        >>> operation is pretty tricky, so I though I'd try replacing the relay
                        >>> and see
                        >>> if that helps.
                        >>>
                        >>> Thanks!

                      • kevin lubot
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 31, 2010
                          Somewhere a month ago I asked about this (shutting off at exactly 1 hour of operation.) Thanks for the answer (i have a 98) it worried me a bit. I do however get no heat on the lowest speed. I'll squeeze down the switch this weekend when I check the torque on the lugs (52 lifepos.) It would be nice to have it on all speeds and head off any problems in the future with chattering. Also, opening the relay with the lowest load (the slowest fan speed) should help it last longer as well. I would always slow it to the 2nd lowest speed for 30 seconds before turning it off (but thats about 7 amps still at 166V.)

                          Looks like a lot of people have this problem and were living with it. And thanks for the link as well. go team!

                          Data: http://www.weisd.com/store2/1-28.pdf

                          -Reed

                          On 2010-12-31, at 10:15 AM, ldr214 wrote:

                          > Gordon,
                          > The fan switch is real easy to reach via the glove box opening. If you reach in there and squeeze the switch between your thumb and fingers in a top to bottom motion you'll probably find that it works fine. Apparently the housing doesn't stay tight enough to hold the contact mechanism in proper alignment.
                          >
                          > Discovered this way back in 2004 on my car. I put a PVC home made pincher clamp on the switch to replace my hand and it has worked great since.
                          >
                          > But my heater relay is still flaky. Sticks off when in use if it is cycled. Resets when it cools or when given a good wrap.
                          >
                          > Mike R
                          > 97 Force
                          >
                          > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Gordon Stallings <genki@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> Followup: The more I think about it, I suspect your trouble may be
                          >> the same as mine: intermittent contacts in the blower speed selector.
                          >> This selector switch has two poles. One pole switches in resistors to
                          >> vary the blower speed. The other pole switches 12V on for all
                          >> positions except off. It is this pole that controls the heater
                          >> relay. Although it's possible that the relay could be bad, I'd first
                          >> look for a cause of the chattering in the circuit that feeds the relay
                          >> coil. Try jiggling the switch lever up and down.
                          >>
                          >> Let me know if you find an easy way to fix the problem. Else, I may
                          >> just take it to the Chevy dealership and have them replace the
                          >> selector. This car apparently had some exposure to dampness and
                          >> corrosion before I purchased it.
                          >>
                          >> --Gordon Stallings--
                          >> On Dec 30, 2010, at 10:05 PM, Nick Austin wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> Does anybody have a model number for a replacement heater relay?
                          >>>
                          >>> I'm pretty sure that's the problem with my intermittent heater.
                          >>>
                          >>> I've noted that it will not always click.
                          >>> Sometimes it will pull in and drop out several times in rapid
                          >>> succession.
                          >>> Getting to the contacts to measure coil voltage and what not during
                          >>> operation is pretty tricky, so I though I'd try replacing the relay
                          >>> and see
                          >>> if that helps.
                          >>>
                          >>> Thanks!

                        • Nick Austin
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 31, 2010
                            On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 10:15 AM, ldr214 <replytome@...> wrote:

                            > Gordon,
                            > The fan switch is real easy to reach via the glove box opening. If you
                            > reach in there and squeeze the switch between your thumb and fingers in a
                            > top to bottom motion you'll probably find that it works fine. Apparently
                            > the housing doesn't stay tight enough to hold the contact mechanism in
                            > proper alignment.

                            I found that the cable connected to the back of the switch was loose.
                            I reseated the harness and zip tied the wires to relieve the stress.

                            It all seems to work much better now!

                            I think this is just one of a couple of issues the heater has, but I'll see.

                            Thanks!