Solectria BRLS controller manual needed

  • olrowdy01
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2010
      Hi,
      I'm new to this group and the Solectria controller may be old hat but I'm hoping someone can help me out.

      I'm mentoring a high school group who are building a solar race car. They have an old Solectria BRLS100 controller and a 14" e-TORQ motor.

      I've found (on the web) what appears to be the users manual for the controller that shows the connections for the throttle control, regeneration control and the forward/reverse switch to the DB-15 connector.

      I have two questions about the BRLS100 controller;
      1. Does the controller have the capability to connect to a computer?
      2. If so, does anyone have or know where I can find the wiring for the RS-232 serial connections?

      I'd be most interested in the COM commands that the controller might accept etc.

      I've downloaded an old 1994 Solectria product brochure but I see no mention of a computer interface for any of their controllers so perhaps they never provided that capability. Maybe I'm just expecting too much after working with an old NGM controller that has a COM interface.

      TNX for any info or help.
    • rod864
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2010
        IIRC, the earliest Solectria and Brusa controllers were analog, not microprocessor controlled (thus no computer interface). I think that includes the brushless motor controllers, but I'm not 100% sure.

        Sorry to be so vague, but this is just going from dim recollections of long-ago conversations with (then) Solectria and early Solectria employees. Others with more direct experience may have better information.
      • Charles Bliss
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 31, 2010
          For BRLS, consider converting to a Kelly. I had a Solectria that blew out
          its Mosfets. It was converted to IGBT, which proceeded to blow out (bad
          motor). I showed the Solectria controller to a couple EEs and they said it
          was really old technology and to replace it. I ended up swapping to a Kelly
          KBL controller and upgraded from the BRLS 11 motor to a BRLS 16. I have
          upgraded the Kelly controller several times. Something about "Mr. Toad's
          Wild Ride" and a desire for more power. Since then, Kelly has come out with
          a KHB controller that can output more power and is programmable.

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2010
            --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "rod864" <rod864@...> wrote:

            > IIRC, the earliest Solectria and Brusa controllers were analog, not microprocessor controlled (thus no computer interface). I think that includes the brushless motor controllers, but I'm not 100% sure.
            > [snip]

            OK, well that would certainly explain the lack of a COM signal. ;-)

            Since I posted the help msg we found a 4 page "Users manual" on the web that shows us how to connect the pots up to the controller. So we're ready to test the motor out this week.
            TNX for the info.