Intermittent operation: DB9 and DB25 connector replacement

  • Ray Darby
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2010
      Hi Mike,

      Thanks for your reply! Your suggestion could work if the extension cable were weather-proof. The problem I've had, after talking at length with several different electronic supply places, is finding weather-proof connectors.

      I've had this "intermittent operation" problem for several years, so the car was just sitting while I "tried this, tried that" to no avail. Very frustrating as otherwise it's a great car!

      I've been following posts for many years and have corrected pretty much everything with no success until I used contact cleaner and compressed air on the DB25. I had already replaced the DB9 previously but with "bare connectors" now covered with electrical tape (not a proper, professional solution). From previous posts I had the impression the DB9 was the connector responsible for the symptoms (shutting down, only able to "crawl" ever so slowly, then ready to go within minutes - sometimes longer). But a subsequent post mentioned the DB25, contact cleaner, etc.

      It turned out the contact cleaner on the DB25 eliminated the problem.....for a few thousand miles, anyway, then it came back. Cleaning the connector again solved the problem but for less (and less) time each time. Apparently my Force was in NJ originally, so there's a bit of rust here and there and the outside of the DB25 has a bit of what looks like "salt water corrosion". The inside doesn't look bad from a visual POV, but I can't argue with the fact that the contact cleaner worked....at least for a while. Most recently I cleaned it again and applied dielectric grease but that hasn't made much of a difference. So the only logical conclusion I've come to is to replace the connectors.

      Any suggestions on solutions, especially where to order new weatherproof connectors, would be much appreciated. So far the best solution seems to be the weatherproof "hanging style" female (so I could swap controllers down the road if necessary) and a "panel mount style" male connector mounted in a box. Since the new DB9 with elec tape should be redone more "professionally", I think a small box with both the DB9 and DB25 male connectors in it would be best. Your question about shielding could be a critical piece of the puzzle too, so I'm hoping someone in the group can address that (ie, do these cables/connectors need to be shielded?).

      Thanks for the feedback Mike!

      - Ray Darby
      96' Force EV
      83' Grumman EV