Re: DB9 and DB25 connector replacement solution for Force

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 24, 2010
      Ray,
      I'm not sure how the cables terminate inside the "boxes" but another way to get a free hanging male/female is to simply buy a good m/f extension cable of suitable length and cut it in half. This would mean replacing the entire wire and not just the end. I guess you could do a splice if you don't want to open the "boxes".

      The nice thing about doing it this way is that manufactures own ends are generally nicely matched.

      I'm thinking the Solectria wires are not shielded anyone know if they are?

      Strange that all 4 connectors on your car need replacing.

      Mike R
      97 Force

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
        A little on the pricey side, but they should work:

        Inline free hanging, waterproof D-Sub

        Encoder Male:
        http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=AE10142-ND
        Encoder Female:
        http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=AE10143-ND

        Control Male:
        http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=AE10146-ND
        Control Female:
        http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=AE10147-ND

        Wolf
        *wags his tail*
        www.wolftronix.com

        On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Charles Bliss <cbliss@...> wrote:

        > I had been considering conversion to a set of Deutsch connectors. I don't
        > know how many of the pins are used in the DB9 and DB25 connectors but
        > perhaps using 3 sets of a connector designed for outside / automotive would
        > be better than trying to seal up the DBs.
        >
        > Example: http://www.deutsch.net/deutsch-product-search.aspx?page=3
        >
        > If these hold up at Bonneville in the Salt Flats, they sure can handle the
        > roads around here.

      • Ray Darby
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
          Thanks, Wolf, I talked to the folks at digikey about these already & the
          problem is the male isn't shown as a "mating product" to the female &
          vice-versa.....

          While he didn't have them "in hand" he said that, in addition to not being
          listed as "mate-able", the connectors appear to be recessed down into their
          "hoods" (ie, the M/F won't reach into each other), so it's for that reason
          he suggested the panel mount for the other (non-controller) side of the
          connector.

          So I'm still thinking the free-hanging paired with a (box installed) panel
          mount is my only option.

        • Doug Jackson
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
            I know this will sound weird but.....

            When I bought my 1999 four years ago, the previous owner had taken a standard plastic refrigerator storage container, cut out four holes and put the two connectors inside. At least here in Berkeley, it seems to have kept moisture from being a problem. Or maybe I've just been lucky.

            Doug Jackson
            adjackson3.org

            p.s.: If you reply to this email, please do a "reply all". That way if I have included other recipients, they will also get your reply.