Considering selling my Force.

  • Nick Austin
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 14, 2010
      Hey!

      I've just finished upgrading my 1997 Solectria Force to 52 100ah CALB cells.

      In this configuration, it looks like the Force uses 210Wh/Mile going 65 on
      the expressway.
      With a 16.6 KWh at 100% DoD, that gives a 79 mile range at expressway speeds
      on rolling hills.
      It would likely go closer to 100 miles slower or flatter.

      The original charger failed, and I replaced it with a Brusa NLG5.
      It has an Elithion BMS.

      The car is more powerful then when it was running with PbA cells, and
      thus funner to drive.

      I'm thinking of selling it for $15K, do you think it would sell for that?

      Thanks!

    • Will Beckett (PCS)
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 14, 2010
        I would be very interested to know about how much these conversions are
        costing. I have been hearing anywhere from $4K to $8K.

        - Will

        Aptos, CA 95003

        (831) 688-8669

        <mailto:will@...> will@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 14, 2010
          Its possible, at those prices you are talking about prismatics and a diy approach. It really depends on how hands on you are.

          Parts alone are about 7K us for 48 100 ah cells and one of the cheaper bms's like the mini-bms which is really a good system dispite the low cost. 4k would get you 48 60ah cells i suppose but thats really pushing it on the draw and range wouldnt be much more than 40 miles or so (which could be fine for you.) So, i suppose it could work with 60ah in normal mode to keep draw to less than 2c and if you only needed 35 miles or so. Then throw in $750 or so for the bms or more for a fancy one with a display. I used solid state lifepo's from a company in california. My cells are about 20% more in cost and weight and size than calb or ts cell but there are some benefits. Mostly on a daily basis, I see all the cells are spot on with draw and charge they are like one big 48cell battery. All the minibms lights come on at the same time charge after charge. I see people having trouble keeping the cells in ballance here with ts cells and elsewere with calb cells. None of it really is a dealbreaker if you just understand the problem its very manageable. I like the plug and forget of the blackhawk cells I have (and the 3 year warranty (now 5 years for people buying now (SHUCKS!)) as well.

          60ah cells will all fit in the back battery box fine. 100ah cells nearly do so (I am using a group 27 battery box in the trunk for the overflow.) So, really it depends on your needs. the 60ah cells will give you about the range of the gels but a theoretical cycle life much higher then lead (around 4 to perhaps 8 times as much) for really just 2x the price but for now its all theoretical.

          There could be a small cost for reprograming your charger as well (or just use 52 cells but then they cost as well.)

          For the force's it looks like 90ah or 100ah cells are the way to go so there is no need to worry the current from the cells being too high 2c would be max on max power mode. You may save a bit with the 60ah cells but drawing 3c may lower the cycle life to make having bought the 100ah cells worth it.

          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Will Beckett \(PCS\)" <will@...> wrote:

          > I would be very interested to know about how much these conversions are
          > costing. I have been hearing anywhere from $4K to $8K.
          >

          > - Will
          >
          > Aptos, CA 95003
          >
          > (831) 688-8669
          >
          > <mailto:will@...> will@...

        • Nick Austin
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 14, 2010
            On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Will Beckett (PCS) <
            will@...> wrote:

            > I would be very interested to know about how much these conversions are
            > costing. I have been hearing anywhere from $4K to $8K.

            Mine was more expensive then most.
            The cells were $6,500, the BMS was $1,500, and the new charger was
            $3,500.

            Plus a bunch of miscellaneous odds and ends (mostly related to fabricating
            the battery strapping system, and replacing rusted fasteners with new SS
            parts).

            So the upgrade cost me about $13,000.

            Thanks!