Re: Air conditioning motor/compressor/controller failing?

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 31, 2010
      The air conditioner motor controller steps the pack voltage down and keeps it at a constant rpm via constant voltage. Unless you run it without the controller all is good.

      Mike R
      97 Force

      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "dexion111" <dexion111@...> wrote:

      > Just had a closer look at my ac motor. Its marked 120V 1hp 2500 rpm (thought its was 12volts but looking at it, its 120) and appears to have solectria markings on it. So, it looks like perhaps not all the ac motors are standard its a 1998 model. (I have a 156V gel cell model at the moment) so already its being slightly over volted right out of the gate with 13 cells. The OP may need to take a closer look at the motor plate and see what its rated for as well.
      >
      > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "dexion111" <dexion111@> wrote:
      > >

      > > woops just assumed it was a 12V brushed motor not using pack voltage. Ok then if it uses pack voltage its easier then just run the cells down to 170 (or lower i suppose) and test it again if you think its the voltage. i really have to put mine back together so I get more experience with the components.
      > > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "ldr214" <replytome@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Nick
      > > > If you still have the stock Solectria set up the air conditioner controller on mine has a sticker for 190V. Your powering a 1 hp 156V nominal brushed dc motor. There is no encoder on the motor. And it should have like new brushes if the car has only 5.5K on it.
      > > >
      > > > I run my ac frequently at voltages in the upper 170-185 to "burn" off regen at high battery SOC. Never hear it sound differently.
      > > >
      > > > My unit is not very quiet. I use frequently use it as a pedestrian warning device when moving through a crowd.
      > > >
      > > > The toothed belt could be most of the noise or your compressor could be over or underserviced. (assuming you have the same little belt)
      > > >
      > > > Seriosly doubt you have a voltage issue or motor issue. Belts can make thing sound like they are coming apart if they aren't running at the right tension but the toothed type on the Force are not as bad at making weird noises as your standard V belt.
      > > >
      > > > If you haven't already done so take the belt off and turn the compressor and motor by hand and listen to the motor briefly without a load on it. You can also better check the belt when off.
      > > >
      > > > It could also be the condensor fan which is driven at 12V.
      > > >
      > > > Obviously none of use can be sure as the cause of your noise without being there.
      > > > Mike R
      > > > 97 Force

    • dexion111
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 21, 2010
        Nick (or anyone else who has replaced their condenser fan),

        Did you find a replacement for your condenser fan? Mine bit the dust today as well. But I am having trouble finding one that matches what I have. I have 98 force. But the pics for the condenser fans on the 98 metro dont have a bracket like mine.

        Mine is on the drivers side with a solid metal bracket on the top and the bottom held on with 4 screws (2 top 2 bottom) the fan itself is bolted to the bracket which is screwed into the condenser.

        Nothing I find looks like what I have. Do you have one like mine?

        I have uploaded a pics of what I have into the kevin lubot folder on page 2 of the pics (it helps if you zoom them in IE.)

        All i can find are things like this:

        http://www.amazon.com/CONDENSER-COOLING-ASSEMBLY-CHEVROLET-1995-2001/dp/B002Y37306

        For about $65 or so.

        Thanks
        dex

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Nick Austin <yahoo@...> wrote:

        > On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 11:27 AM, ldr214 <replytome@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > It could also be the condensor fan which is driven at 12V.
        > >

        > Bingo! You nailed it Mike.
        >
        > I've just disconnected the high voltage header for the whole A/C system, and
        > the condenser fan in the front started up with a huge racket.
        > Off to the internet to look for a replacement.
        >
        > Thanks!

      • Nick Austin
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 21, 2010
          On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 9:22 PM, dexion111 <dexion111@...> wrote:

          > Nick (or anyone else who has replaced their condenser fan),
          >
          > Did you find a replacement for your condenser fan? Mine bit the dust today
          > as well. But I am having trouble finding one that matches what I have. I
          > have 98 force. But the pics for the condenser fans on the 98 metro dont have
          > a bracket like mine.

          Here you go:
          https://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/2550/Tripac_Fans1

          Note that the black wire is positive.

        • dexion111
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 21, 2010
            Yup that looks like what i have thanks.

            dex

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 22, 2010
              Dex
              Can't verify this but Solectria likely moved the fan location on the 98 to the driver's side. In the 97 metro and (I assume the 98 and later) the radiator was behind the condensor on the drivers side and another fan pulled air through the condensor and radiator. The fan you have and the one I have was located on the passenger side of the condensor and was installed as a pusher.

              The driver side is the inlet side of the condensor and cooling it first is important for max efficiency.

              I modified my car so it has 2 fans in front of the condensor. The original one on the passenger side and a additional one on the driver side. It does make a difference when the temps are in the high 90's and above as every degree you can lower the high side discharge helps.

              If you have a used parts place look for the condensor fan on the passenger side and not the fan on the right side you'll likely get what you need. But any after market fan of similiar size will work if they are 12V. But be warned some are much louder than others.

              FWIW the a/c in the gasser isn't all that great in temps above 95 either. I did a sort of side by side comparison in my search for better cooling.

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 22, 2010
                Well now I am confused. Did you see the pics i posted. To me it sounds like your saying thats the normal fan but just moved to the drivers side. The oem part looks different (3 mounting (perhaps 4) holes and does look like it should be on the pass side. But its still very different from what I have since there are no mounting holes just those indentations for the bolts that mount up to the metal brackets. The link nick posted does look like what I have but without the metal brackets which I think I can get off (pretty rusted nuts/bolts) but I can also make one if needed since I have a working template with what is there.

                Im confused by the oem part I guess. But I am sure i'll be able to make something work once I have it ill make it fit.

                On a side note if anyone is interested im getting about .9ah at 45mph flat with the lifepos pretty regularly driving carefully (all the lead is out.) And about 1.3ah driving hard which beats the pants off my saturn with a warp 9 dc motor. No ac :( or heat on.

                I have 48 100ah cells for about 155V up to about 1C load. I drive in normal. For what looks like an 80 mile range to 80% dod. Pack weighs about 360 lbs so the car is about 500lbs lighter than stock (about 1900lbs.) Tires at 30lbs pressure.
                dex

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 22, 2010
                  Dex,
                  Sorry to cause any confusion. Your fan picture looks just like mine except for the location and perhaps the brakets are slightly different.

                  My fan also looks like the one pictured in the factory service manual and matches the passenger side location of the gasser. That "OEM replacement" fan in the amazon link does not match mine or the picture in the service manual but that isn't to say it wouldn't work.

                  I think I paid something like $29 for the extra 9 inch fan which I installed on the drivers side of my car. It is smaller than the other one. found it in a search at a site that seems to be a broken link now and it's just a generic 12V pusher style fan. Had a hard time finding this smaller one. 10" and above pretty easy to find.

                  Out of curiosity I looked at some of the fans found with a ebay and google search. Most do not resemble ours. The Metro used many sources for parts so there are variations in form for some functions. Generic fans are pretty common.

                  On the bright side all you need is a 12V fan that moves a lot of air. Might have to mod a bracket, just be careful not to bang on the airbag sensor if it is on the center brace of 98.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 22, 2010
                    Dex,
                    Your AH numbers are right in there with what most Force owners have gotten. Obviously your range is much greater than with the standard G27 Pba.

                    Having the major weight reduction likely makes it easier for you to hit those numbers and certainly be able to take along a few passengers without it being quite so noticeable.

                    Keep us posted

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 23, 2010
                      Its crazy how efficient it is. The 1.25 hour recharge at work (18 amp zivan ng3) takes some getting used to. Before I would recharge about 7 hours for the saturn (about 250wh a mile 6amp 110 charger) and I thought I was doing well. I only go about 23% into the pack on the way to work and about 28% on the way home as opposed to 40% to and 50% back. No heat or ac however. (54 mile round trip which is now easily in range without charging at work.) Now if the radio antenna would just be better heh.

                      As for the fan I picked (well ordered) that one on the link it looks like what I have so fingers crossed. Other than that ill get some generic 12V pancakes and mount them. I find it very interesting how well they integrated things. My fan is wobbely so it gets hot then draws more amps than the fuse (15amps) after about 20 minutes of running. When that fuse blows, the compressor stops but the switch on the dash still lights and goes out depending on how its pressed (on or off.) They could have linked the compressor to the swich instead of the ac relay (aparently) and I could have overheated the system without the fan. Nicely thought out on their part.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 23, 2010
                        If you haven't read "Charging Ahead" by James Sherman I highly recommend it. You'll enjoy it.

                        XM radio takes care of the radio reception issues for me. Wish the rates were lower.