Source for replacement serrated nuts?

  • Nick Austin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 10, 2010
      Hey,

      I've removed the belly pan in my Solectria Force so I can run cable and
      change the transmission fluid.

      The 5/16 blots holding the belly pan in were badly rusted and I lost one of
      the retaining nuts while loosening them.

      Looking at the nut on the other side, it appears to be some sort
      of serrated face nut.
      Does anybody on this list know anything about these fasteners? If I can't
      find anything else,
      I'll either use a standard nut, or thread the hold and switch to a larger
      bolt.

      Any thoughts would be appreciated.

      Thanks!

    • Bill or Dorothy Swann
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 10, 2010
        How many do you need. Mailing address?

        Thanks,Bill S
        Ph 832-338-3080
        www.watt-tracker.com
        www.promotingevs.com
        www.hstech.biz

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 10, 2010
          Nick,
          Are your talking about the 2 bolts that simply hold the corroplast belly pan in on the front. The part held between the lower crossmember and a piece of aluminum.

          On my 97 vehicle the 2 bolts thread into nut plates that are either pressed into the crossmember or welded to it. You may have broke a nut plate lose or your car could be entirely different. Any secured fastener should be fine for this non structure attachmnet. Stainless won't cost much more and you won't deal with rust again. I like to use Anti-sieze as a precaution on any weather exposed metal connection.

          Mike R
          97 Force

          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Nick Austin <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > Hey,
          >
          > I've removed the belly pan in my Solectria Force so I can run cable and
          > change the transmission fluid.
          >
          > The 5/16 blots holding the belly pan in were badly rusted and I lost one of
          > the retaining nuts while loosening them.
          >
          > Looking at the nut on the other side, it appears to be some sort
          > of serrated face nut.
          > Does anybody on this list know anything about these fasteners? If I can't
          > find anything else,
          > I'll either use a standard nut, or thread the hold and switch to a larger
          > bolt.
          >
          > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks!

        • Paul Schafer
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 10, 2010
            I think you may be talking about serrated flange nuts.  My two Force both have plain bolts and flat washers that hold up the aluminum flat bar that holds the corroplast.  Here is a link with photos of three serrated flange nuts.  (These are metric, however.)  I'm sure a good hardware store will have some.

            http://www.nutsandbolts.com/advanced_search_result.html?keyword=serrated+flange+nuts&search_in_description=1

            If your welded or pressed-on  nuts rusted and came off, I recommend new bolts, "aircraft" nuts with nylon inserts, and fender washers.  All in stainless as Mike suggested.

            Paul Schafer