96 Solectria Force Intermittent Operation

  • Ray Darby
    Message 1 of 20 , May 19, 2010
      After fixing every known electrical issue I saw posts regarding cleaning the DB9 & DB25 connectors. I'd replaced the DB9 (which I thought was the only possible culprit) but still had the problem. Then I disconnected the DB25 - looked like small amt of debris in there so I blew it out with compressed air and the car has run perfectly & reliably for several hundred miles since.....until today, it had the same problem -

      It just stopped but would crawl very slowly.....I turned it off, then on, still nothing.....until about 15 minutes had passed and then I turned the key and it ran fine, climbing over 1000' in elev and the 12 remaining miles to home (so it doesn't appear to be heat related)! So my question is -

      Have other folks had this same type of intermittent problem?

      Did replacing the DB25 - or at min. cleaning it with solvent - do the trick for you?

      And what was the stuff called again - couldn't find it when searching past posts?

      I feel so close to having a reliable vehicle again, I'm just hoping it's the connector!

      - Ray Darby

    • rod864
      Message 2 of 20 , May 21, 2010
        The best and most effective contact cleaner I've used is Cramolin Red, now called Contaclean. Regrettably, it's no longer sold in this country. AFAIK, you have to purchase it directly from the manufacturer in Germany. It's not expensive, but the shipping cost will knock you flat.

        http://www.itwcp.de/en/index.html

        The homegrown substitute is Caig Deoxit. Caig claim it's equivalent. Some folks who've used it say it's not the same. Some say it's better. I haven't used it myself, as I still have a small cache of Cramolin from 20 years ago.

        Hope this helps!
        Message 3 of 20 , May 21, 2010
          This might be of some help in looking for a cleaner. Opinions are the authors but the methods are presented

          http://www.pitt.edu/~szekeres/mytest.htm

          Mike R
          97 Force

          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "rod864" <rod864@...> wrote:

          > The best and most effective contact cleaner I've used is Cramolin Red, now called Contaclean. Regrettably, it's no longer sold in this country. AFAIK, you have to purchase it directly from the manufacturer in Germany. It's not expensive, but the shipping cost will knock you flat.
          >
          > http://www.itwcp.de/en/index.html
          >
          > The homegrown substitute is Caig Deoxit. Caig claim it's equivalent. Some folks who've used it say it's not the same. Some say it's better. I haven't used it myself, as I still have a small cache of Cramolin from 20 years ago.
          >
          > Hope this helps!

        • Ray Darby
          Message 4 of 20 , May 21, 2010
            Thanks so much to everyone - this group rocks! I still have one question though.....

            Maybe someone in the group can enlighten me/us as to why, if the connector pins are a little corroded/dirty, the car would stop dead out of the blue (other than creeping slowly to side of road with petal to the metal) then be ready to fully go like gangbusters again after 10-15 minutes?!?!

            FYI, I'll report back to the group on my findings (as to whether cleaning the DB25 completely eliminates the intermittent problem).

            Message 5 of 20 , May 21, 2010
              Ray,
              I certainly can't give you a answer other than to venture that it may not be just the DB25.

              But a poor contact once made could simply work just fine until the next time it doesn't. If you haven't swapped the pins clean with a bit of cleaner on something like a q-tip and used something that won't make the sockets expand but still work a cleaner into them I would do that. A small nylon tooth pick like the "brush pick" brand dipped in cleaner works really well for getting into small openings without leaving anything behind like a broken wooden one might.

              Mike R

              --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Darby" <raydarby@...> wrote:

              > Thanks so much to everyone - this group rocks! I still have one question though.....
              >
              > Maybe someone in the group can enlighten me/us as to why, if the connector pins are a little corroded/dirty, the car would stop dead out of the blue (other than creeping slowly to side of road with petal to the metal) then be ready to fully go like gangbusters again after 10-15 minutes?!?!
              >
              > FYI, I'll report back to the group on my findings (as to whether cleaning the DB25 completely eliminates the intermittent problem).

            • Frederick G Fischer
              Message 6 of 20 , May 21, 2010
                Ray,

                There is nothing better than Stabilant 22A (or 22E) for making old, intermittent contacts work like new. It's made in Canada currently sold by Allied.

                Fred F.

                Message 7 of 20 , May 27, 2010
                  After work today, I walked over to the truck and noticed that the charger fan was still running, and the amp-hour meter showed that It still had 3 amp-hours to go...

                  I un-plugged it and drove home.

                  With my clamp meter on the positive charger lead, I plugged it in... and it is only charging at 10 amps.

                  I am guessing it has the same failed solder joints as this other charger:
                  http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3300/

                  So I am hoping its an easy fix...

                  But seeing as I am motivated to fix battery chargers, is anyone interested in one of these broken ones:
                  http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3300/IMG_6705.JPG

                  I might be able to get another one or two up and running again. ;)

                  Wolf
                  *wags his tail*
                  www.wolftronix.com

                • Charles Bliss
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 27, 2010
                    I am interested in a working one. Mine is working but I live in fear of not
                    having a spare. Those look like Brusa NLG4s.

                    Message 9 of 20 , May 28, 2010
                      im am interested in one non working (parts) contact me off list

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 28, 2010
                        Wolf,
                        I am interested in a quotes for working , non working units. I have a 1997 Force that came without its original charger.
                        Jim

                        Message 11 of 20 , May 28, 2010
                          Hi Wolf,

                          I am using a Brusa NLG5 and also have a broken NLG4 sitting in the basement. I would be interested in trading in my broken NLG4 for a working one to use in parallel with the NLG5. Metric Mind can supply a master/slave cable to connect the two so that I would have a 6.6KW charger instead of a 3.3KW charger.

                          Best regards,

                          Todd Martin
                          1036 Logan Ave.
                          Elgin IL 60120
                          224-238-3852
                          larsthelean@...

                          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "James Barton" <james.barton@...> wrote:

                          > Wolf,
                          > I am interested in a quotes for working , non working units. I have a 1997 Force that came without its original charger.
                          > Jim

                        • Joel Meyn
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 28, 2010
                            The original charger with my 96 force is back to old tricks: sits for hours without charging (fan does not come on either). Luckily I have a PFC purchased from Thunderstruck Motors which is hooked in parallel with the original charger. The PFC is 120 vac so charges rather slowly. I have never tried running both at the same time, does anyone know if that would cause problems ?
                            -Joel

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 28, 2010
                              I got my charger apart, it looks like the caps on the cap board are bad (as expected), and my gate driver board bridge is also blown.
                              http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3300_1704/

                              Looking at the time stamps on the pics, it took just over 2 hours to disassemble it (and 30 mins to get it out of the truck).

                              I am going to take all of the other chargers apart now... and see if I have at least one good cap board and gate driver board, to get my charger back up and running...

                              And check for any other common failure parts. Then I will order a bunch of those parts and rebuild all of them. :)

                              Also, response for the chargers have been over whelming, at last check, there was 7 people wanting chargers... Let me see how many I can get working first... Might just have to auction them off to be fair...

                              Wolf
                              *wags his tail*
                              www.wolftronix.com

                              Message 14 of 20 , May 28, 2010
                                Ok, I got all of the chargers apart:
                                http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3300_1704/images/IMG_1166.jpg

                                The interesting thing is, I could tell how bad a charger was going to be by the smell, when the case was cracked...

                                No two chargers are the same, they all have different mods, but this one on the left is the most strange:
                                http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3300_1704/images/IMG_1143.jpg

                                But, it looks like the most promising one to take boards out of.

                                It is missing the most pieces and it is the only one to have nice flat (not bulging) caps in it, other then the mods, and the power connector that looks to have burned up.

                                The power connector is a different size then the others, so that might explain why it burned up, or something went wrong with all the mods to it.

                                Message 15 of 20 , May 29, 2010
                                  I chose the parts wisely, the charger is 100% working again. :D

                                  Before: http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3300_1704/images/IMG_1041.jpg :/
                                  After: http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3300_1704/images/IMG_1195.jpg :)

                                  Total repair time, around 8 hours.

                                  All the pics: http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3300_1704

                                  Ok, going to bed now ( it is 3:36AM )...

                                  Wolf
                                  *wags his tail*
                                  www.wolftronix.com

                                  After work today, I walked over to the truck and noticed that the charger fan was still running, and the amp-hour meter showed that It still had 3 amp-hours to go...

                                  I un-plugged it and drove home.

                                  With my clamp meter on the positive charger lead, I plugged it in... and it is only charging at 10 amps.

                                  I am guessing it has the same failed solder joints as this other charger:
                                  http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3300/

                                  So I am hoping its an easy fix...

                                  But seeing as I am motivated to fix battery chargers, is anyone interested in one of these broken ones:
                                  http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3300/IMG_6705.JPG

                                  I might be able to get another one or two up and running again. ;)

                                  Wolf
                                  *wags his tail*
                                  www.wolftronix.com

                                • Lawrence Winiarski
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 29, 2010
                                    Very nice.   Good work.!

                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 29, 2010
                                      Yes, that strange one is one of the chargers I sent you.  It is a NiCD charger, if I remember correctly and someone had gone in and modified it some before I got it.  I think most of the damage to it is on the AC side, but I know nothing about how electronics really work.

                                      Stephen Taylor

                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 31, 2010
                                        I will take your broken charger + repair costs in exchange for a working charger. :)

                                        Wolf
                                        *wags his tail*
                                        www.wolftronix.com

                                        I am using a Brusa NLG5 and also have a broken NLG4 sitting in the basement. I would be interested in trading in my broken NLG4 for a working one to use in parallel with the NLG5. Metric Mind can supply a master/slave cable to connect the two so that I would have a 6.6KW charger instead of a 3.3KW charger.

                                        Best regards,

                                        Todd Martin
                                        1036 Logan Ave.
                                        Elgin IL 60120
                                        224-238-3852
                                        larsthelean@...

                                        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "James Barton" <james.barton@...> wrote:

                                        > Wolf,
                                        > I am interested in a quotes for working , non working units. I have a 1997 Force that came without its original charger.
                                        > Jim

                                      • anbausa
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 1, 2010
                                          Hi Joel;

                                          Some Sparrow owners used to do this to get faster charging. The only problem is in the finishing stage where the charger puts out something like 2-4amps for an hour to level the batteries. If you let both chargers do this then you end up cooking the batteries so you have to either use a timer or monitor the charge to switch off one of the chargers when the first on goes into finishing phase.

                                          Noel

                                          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Joel Meyn <joelmeyn@...> wrote:

                                          > The original charger with my 96 force is back to old tricks: sits for hours without charging (fan does not come on either). Luckily I have a PFC purchased from Thunderstruck Motors which is hooked in parallel with the original charger. The PFC is 120 vac so charges rather slowly. I have never tried running both at the same time, does anyone know if that would cause problems ?
                                          > -Joel

                                        • Joel Meyn
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jun 2, 2010
                                            11 years ago I had a converted Pontiac J2000 in which I ran two chargers: a Bycan which ran on 110v 30amp circuit, and a Russco 110v 15amp. I did indeed have to monitor the finishing charge.
                                            The frustration with my Solectria is that the PFC charger does not do a good finishing charge: the meter sometimes reaches 00.00 but not always and today I am having to nurse it along by plugging and unplugging to get down to 02.00. The original Solectria charger will run for several hours in a low amp state to achieve a negative reading, usually -05.00 to -20.00 This results in better range that with the PFC alone.
                                            -joel