8G27 battery replacement

  • Ken Olum
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2010
      My worst battery finally gave up just short of 29.5K miles. As usual,
      the best price for 8G27s was Sheldon Battery in Houston at $188 each.
      Unfortunately, when Sheldon called Deka, Deka would not dropship them,
      so they would have had to go to Houston and back here to Massachusetts
      at significant shipping expense.

      So instead I dealt with Online Solar (http://mrsolar.com). Their list
      price was $202, but they were willing to go down to $199 each for 13.
      Their brand was MK, and MK was willing to dropship from Maryland to
      eastern Massachusetts for $103 for the pack. They were here in 2
      days. Strangely, when the batteries arrived, the label said "Deka
      Solar".

      I have 12 old 8G27 batteries with perhaps 15 usable amp hours at Force
      power levels, in Sharon, MA, if anyone would like to make me an offer
      for any or all.

      Ken
    • Larry
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2010
        Ken,
        I am really interested in knowing how much better your new pack does.
        Please post how many amp hours your new pack gives you. My pack is down to 15-20 Amp hours and I am contempating what to do.

        Regards,
        Larry
        '99 Force - Sollie

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Ken Olum <kdo@...> wrote:

        > My worst battery finally gave up just short of 29.5K miles. As usual,
        > the best price for 8G27s was Sheldon Battery in Houston at $188 each.
        > Unfortunately, when Sheldon called Deka, Deka would not dropship them,
        > so they would have had to go to Houston and back here to Massachusetts
        > at significant shipping expense.
        >
        > So instead I dealt with Online Solar (http://mrsolar.com). Their list
        > price was $202, but they were willing to go down to $199 each for 13.
        > Their brand was MK, and MK was willing to dropship from Maryland to
        > eastern Massachusetts for $103 for the pack. They were here in 2
        > days. Strangely, when the batteries arrived, the label said "Deka
        > Solar".
        >
        > I have 12 old 8G27 batteries with perhaps 15 usable amp hours at Force
        > power levels, in Sharon, MA, if anyone would like to make me an offer
        > for any or all.
        >
        > Ken

      • kevin gildea
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2010
          Ken, call me at 781-243-9699 for the batteries.
          Thanks. Kevin

          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2010
            The Deka label is not so strange as MK is one of Deka's labels and the last time I asked (a couple of years ago)the 8G27 batteries all come from the same line in PA. Likely your nearest distributor had Deka labels and not MK. As long as you got the terminal you wanted.

            As noted many times in the Forum and in the service manual watch the break-in. I know of at least one new set of Deka gels destroyed in about 2 weeks for lack of same.

            Mike R
            97 Force

            --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Ken Olum <kdo@...> wrote:

            > My worst battery finally gave up just short of 29.5K miles. As usual,
            > the best price for 8G27s was Sheldon Battery in Houston at $188 each.
            > Unfortunately, when Sheldon called Deka, Deka would not dropship them,
            > so they would have had to go to Houston and back here to Massachusetts
            > at significant shipping expense.
            >
            > So instead I dealt with Online Solar (http://mrsolar.com). Their list
            > price was $202, but they were willing to go down to $199 each for 13.
            > Their brand was MK, and MK was willing to dropship from Maryland to
            > eastern Massachusetts for $103 for the pack. They were here in 2
            > days. Strangely, when the batteries arrived, the label said "Deka
            > Solar".
            >
            > I have 12 old 8G27 batteries with perhaps 15 usable amp hours at Force
            > power levels, in Sharon, MA, if anyone would like to make me an offer
            > for any or all.
            >
            > Ken

          • Don Buckshot
            Message 5 of 6 , May 5, 2010
              I really don't want to be without an EV since I have owned and driven 2
              Forces and several other EVs over the past 9 or 10 years, however I am
              focused on converting a Prius to a PHEV.

              I have a 1996 Force I must sell to have the money for the project.

              It is the best Solectria I have ever seen. Not a spot of rust or damage
              and the batteries are just a couple of years old. Every thing in the
              car is like new. The exception is the sun fading on the dash top. While
              the car is a 1996 there are only 19745 miles on it. The charger recently
              went through a re-conditioning at Wolftronics. The car is in Kansas City.

              For more details see it at www.evalbum.com/540 and for more photos see:

              http://photo2.walgreens.com/walgreens/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=4099527002/a=4109597_4109597/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=walgreens/

              Don Buckshot
              Roeland Park, Ks 66205
              913-789-0889
            • d. Bouton Baldridge
              Message 6 of 6 , May 5, 2010
                Don,
                Before you go investing a lot on the PHeV conversion take a look at this web site.It is a very simple system as the price reflects. I have been testing one in my Escape hybrid which still needs some work, but I understand that the Prius models are effective.

                Bouty

                http://www.enginer.us/