Deka 8GGGC2 6 Volt Gel for E10

  • tom_sandiego_e10
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 7 11:30 PM
      So, all you experienced battery users. I need new batteries for my E10. I am thinking about 24 of the Deka 6 volt gels. The 6 volt gels are suppose to get twice the cycle life of the group 24 or 27 gels. The only issue may be fitting them all in. Looks like 15 will go under the bed and 8 will drop into the front box. However I have a spare front box that I can widen 3/4" if needed to get everything to fit.

      So any comments on cycle life or??

      tx
      Tom
    • Ken Olum
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 8 4:39 AM
        An 8G27 is supposed to give 600 cycles and really does. Some spec
        sheets say that this should be multiplied by 2 for the 8GGC2, and some
        don't. I would verify this with Deka before buying, unless someone
        here has got 60,000 miles from a 8GGC2 pack.

        Ken
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 8 3:23 PM
          A Deka 8G27 weights 62.7 pounds and a 8GGC2 68.4. A general rule is that bigger cells will handle a given load better than smaller ones. So you are in fact comparing a battery that has twice the cell size of the other one. So it should do better on the typicial ah spec chart. If you can get the voltage needed and the E-10 can handle the added weight it might be worth doing.

          I don't know much about the configuration of your E-10 so there could be some serious glitch to making this work. Generally speaking doubling the weight of the battery pack isn't high on most owners list of things to do nor within the capablity of the EV.

          Mike R
          97 Force

          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "tom_sandiego_e10" <tom@...> wrote:

          > So, all you experienced battery users. I need new batteries for my E10. I am thinking about 24 of the Deka 6 volt gels. The 6 volt gels are suppose to get twice the cycle life of the group 24 or 27 gels. The only issue may be fitting them all in. Looks like 15 will go under the bed and 8 will drop into the front box. However I have a spare front box that I can widen 3/4" if needed to get everything to fit.
          >
          > So any comments on cycle life or??
          >
          > tx
          > Tom

        • Nick Austin
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 8 3:35 PM
            On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 11:30 PM, tom_sandiego_e10 <tom@...> wrote:

            > So, all you experienced battery users. I need new batteries for my E10. I
            > am thinking about 24 of the Deka 6 volt gels. The 6 volt gels are suppose
            > to get twice the cycle life of the group 24 or 27 gels. The only issue may
            > be fitting them all in. Looks like 15 will go under the bed and 8 will drop
            > into the front box. However I have a spare front box that I can widen 3/4"
            > if needed to get everything to fit.

            Why not use Lithium in this upgrade?
            If you got 44x 3.4v 180ah cells at $225 each, you'd be looking at ~$10k
            for the LiFe pack vs ~$6k for the PbA option.

            The LiFe option would get you ~75 miles of range as well (Assuming 350
            Wh/Mile)
            vs ~35 miles on the PbA setup.

            Something to think about.

          • theoldcars@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 8 5:48 PM
              Also the LifePo4 should last far longer than lead. Long enough that it
              would cost less overall.

              Don

              In a message dated 4/8/2010 3:35:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time,

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 8 10:04 PM
                Mike,

                The E10 would use 24 group 27 batteries. That would be two parallel strings of 144 vdc. My idea is to use 24 6 volt batteries in one long string for 144 vdc. The advantage of the 6v battery is that supposedly they have twice as much cycle life because of thicker lead. The weight difference is 5.7 lbs per battery, or 136 total pounds. Total amps are just about the same.

                --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "ldr214" <replytome@...> wrote:

                > A Deka 8G27 weights 62.7 pounds and a 8GGC2 68.4. A general rule is that bigger cells will handle a given load better than smaller ones. So you are in fact comparing a battery that has twice the cell size of the other one. So it should do better on the typicial ah spec chart. If you can get the voltage needed and the E-10 can handle the added weight it might be worth doing.
                >
                > I don't know much about the configuration of your E-10 so there could be some serious glitch to making this work. Generally speaking doubling the weight of the battery pack isn't high on most owners list of things to do nor within the capablity of the EV.
                >

                > Mike R
                > 97 Force
                >

                > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "tom_sandiego_e10" <tom@> wrote:
                > >
                > > So, all you experienced battery users. I need new batteries for my E10. I am thinking about 24 of the Deka 6 volt gels. The 6 volt gels are suppose to get twice the cycle life of the group 24 or 27 gels. The only issue may be fitting them all in. Looks like 15 will go under the bed and 8 will drop into the front box. However I have a spare front box that I can widen 3/4" if needed to get everything to fit.
                > >
                > > So any comments on cycle life or??
                > >
                > > tx
                > > Tom

              • tom_sandiego_e10
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 8 10:08 PM
                  I did think of Lithium. However I believe over the next 3 to 5 years there will be some development in the technology and also price decreases due to production volume. I have a quote for $187 each, so that's under 5k for 24. So I have thought about Lithium, some day for sure.

                  --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Nick Austin <yahoo@...> wrote:

                  > On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 11:30 PM, tom_sandiego_e10 <tom@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > So, all you experienced battery users. I need new batteries for my E10. I
                  > > am thinking about 24 of the Deka 6 volt gels. The 6 volt gels are suppose
                  > > to get twice the cycle life of the group 24 or 27 gels. The only issue may
                  > > be fitting them all in. Looks like 15 will go under the bed and 8 will drop
                  > > into the front box. However I have a spare front box that I can widen 3/4"
                  > > if needed to get everything to fit.
                  > >

                  > Why not use Lithium in this upgrade?
                  > If you got 44x 3.4v 180ah cells at $225 each, you'd be looking at ~$10k
                  > for the LiFe pack vs ~$6k for the PbA option.
                  >
                  > The LiFe option would get you ~75 miles of range as well (Assuming 350
                  > Wh/Mile)
                  > vs ~35 miles on the PbA setup.
                  >
                  > Something to think about.

                • tom_sandiego_e10
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 8 10:10 PM
                    So Ken, just because I have seen it in writing twice that the 8GGC2 gets twice the cycle life of it's 12v counter part it may not be true? Good point, I will check. Tx.

                    --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Ken Olum <kdo@...> wrote:

                    > An 8G27 is supposed to give 600 cycles and really does. Some spec
                    > sheets say that this should be multiplied by 2 for the 8GGC2, and some
                    > don't. I would verify this with Deka before buying, unless someone
                    > here has got 60,000 miles from a 8GGC2 pack.
                    >
                    > Ken

                  • Nick Austin
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 8 10:32 PM
                      On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 10:08 PM, tom_sandiego_e10 <tom@...> wrote:
                      > I did think of Lithium.  However I believe over the next 3 to 5 years there will be some development in the technology and also price decreases due to production volume.   I have a quote for $187 each, so that's under 5k for 24.  So I have thought about Lithium, some day for sure.

                      Cool.

                      I just wanted to make sure you've considered it.
                      It seems silly to me to spend much on PbA batteries this day and age.

                      Thanks!
                    • Allan Poulsen
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 9 3:30 PM
                        24 x 6V = 144V
                        You'll need more than 24 Lithium cells to achieve the same voltage...