Solectria Elithion AMC325 integration.

  • Nick Austin
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2010
      Hey list!

      I have a 1997 Solectria Force with an AMC325 controller which I'm in the
      process of upgrading to LiFePO4 batteries.
      I bought an Elithion BMS to go with these batteries.

      The Elithion web site has an application note which covers 0 -> 5k
      resistive throttle inputs.

      It looks like AMC325 integration is a little bit more complex.
      I think that my Solectria Force has a 0-10k pot with 0->5k for regen, and
      5k->10k for thrust.

      The Elithion has two 0-5v outputs which indicate the acceptable charge and
      discharge power which can be
      pulled from the pack. 5v in both cases indicates "unlimited".

      I'm having a hard time coming up with a circuit which will work in this
      setup.

      Does anyone have any ideas?

      Thanks!

    • Jerry Liebler
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2010
        Nick,
        Since I've been studying a similar conversion. I've looked at the
        AMC325 manual, it shows several pedal setups, and I suggest the
        following, which will work with any of the setups: In the 25 pin
        connector, identify pin 24 and add another wire (basically "tee" into
        the wire). The added wire goes to the anode of a diode, the cathode of
        the diode goes to the BMS output that indicates low cell voltage. The
        diode can be any small signal diode but a shotkey might be best. This
        connection will have the effect of backing off the pedal when the BMS
        says there is a low cell.
        Regards
        Jerry

        Nick Austin wrote:
        > Hey list!
        >
        > I have a 1997 Solectria Force with an AMC325 controller which I'm in the
        > process of upgrading to LiFePO4 batteries.
        > I bought an Elithion BMS to go with these batteries.
        >
        > The Elithion web site has an application note which covers 0 -> 5k
        > resistive throttle inputs.
        >
        > It looks like AMC325 integration is a little bit more complex.
        > I think that my Solectria Force has a 0-10k pot with 0->5k for regen, and
        > 5k->10k for thrust.
        >
        > The Elithion has two 0-5v outputs which indicate the acceptable charge and
        > discharge power which can be
        > pulled from the pack. 5v in both cases indicates "unlimited".
        >
        > I'm having a hard time coming up with a circuit which will work in this
        > setup.
        >
        > Does anyone have any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks!

      • Nick Austin
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2010
          On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Jerry Liebler <lieblerj@...>wrote:

          > Nick,
          > Since I've been studying a similar conversion. I've looked at the
          > AMC325 manual, it shows several pedal setups, and I suggest the
          > following, which will work with any of the setups: In the 25 pin
          > connector, identify pin 24 and add another wire (basically "tee" into
          > the wire). The added wire goes to the anode of a diode, the cathode of
          > the diode goes to the BMS output that indicates low cell voltage. The
          > diode can be any small signal diode but a shotkey might be best. This
          > connection will have the effect of backing off the pedal when the BMS
          > says there is a low cell.

          Cool.
          So that will give a stepped loss of pedal input when the low cell voltage
          warning is generated?

          Did you manage to come up with a way to give gradual reduction
          on both sides? Would that even be possible with one 10k pot?

          Thanks!

        • Jerry Liebler
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 8, 2010
            Nick,
            First to answer your question. A gradual reduction caused by the
            BMS is not possible because the low cell output is digital (either on or
            off). However, by some re-programing of the AMC 325 a similar result
            may be achieved. How many cells are you planning? What brand of
            cells? Re programming the " low battery led" and "low battery limit"
            will give warning then "limp home" at selected "whole pack" voltages.
            I'd set these at about 2.8 volts/cell & 2.7 volts/cell or for 52 cells
            145.6 volts and 140.4 volts or for a 48 cell pack 134.4 volts and 129.6
            volts. To 'reprogram' the AMC 325 you'll need a pc with a serial port
            and an rs232 to rs485 adapter and some wiring. The adapters are
            commercial products available for about $50. The other question is how
            are you 'integrating' the BMS with the charger? If you still have an
            NLG412, you can use it's general purpose inputs and reprogram it. Where
            are you located? Send me an off board email and we'll trade phone numbers.
            Regards
            Jerry