Elcon 4Kw Charger

  • William S
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 14, 2010
      I acquired a new/used set of AGM (75 amp hour) batteries for a 228 v E-10, as well as a 4K watt Elcon charger, sold by Zivan. It is dual input voltage (110,220v) I am about to hook up the charger on the bench, to the 19 batteries. There is a charge curve programmed, where the voltages and currents are time dependent. I have charged all of the batteries in parallel, so they are equalized. Are there any suggestions as to what I should look for during this first charge cycle?
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
        From my used AGM experience you'll want to note any overvoltage imbalance among them during the absorption and finishing phase.

        The ones I had were from a telecom ups bank and even though they had a similiar well regulated life they exhibited some serious "weakest link" characteristics in the Force and were never adequate for my driving needs.

        Took them out and they are just finishing doing duty in a Avanti conversion. You don't need a lot of AHs during a test this and that conversion.

        Mainly just monitoring for imbalance during load and charge will tell you what is happening.

        Mike R
        97 Force

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "William S" <dbswann4@...> wrote:

        > I acquired a new/used set of AGM (75 amp hour) batteries for a 228 v E-10, as well as a 4K watt Elcon charger, sold by Zivan. It is dual input voltage (110,220v) I am about to hook up the charger on the bench, to the 19 batteries. There is a charge curve programmed, where the voltages and currents are time dependent. I have charged all of the batteries in parallel, so they are equalized. Are there any suggestions as to what I should look for during this first charge cycle?

      • Bill or Dorothy Swann
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
          These are telecom batteries also. The charger is set for 2.48 v per cell = 14.8 per batt. But of course, the charger does not see individual batteries. I hope I do not have to consider a shunt.

          Thanks,Bill S
          Ph 832-338-3080
          www.hstech.biz
          www.promotingevs.com

          ________________________________
          The ones I had were from a telecom ups bank and even though they had a similiar well regulated life they exhibited some serious "weakest link" characteristics in the Force and were never adequate for my driving needs.

          Took them out and they are just finishing doing duty in a Avanti conversion. You don't need a lot of AHs during a test this and that conversion.

          Mainly just monitoring for imbalance during load and charge will tell you what is happening.

          Mike R
          97 Force

          --- In solectria_ev@ yahoogroups. com, "William S" <dbswann4@.. .> wrote:

          > I acquired a new/used set of AGM (75 amp hour) batteries for a 228 v E-10, as well as a 4K watt Elcon charger, sold by Zivan. It is dual input voltage (110,220v) I am about to hook up the charger on the bench, to the 19 batteries. There is a charge curve programmed, where the voltages and currents are time dependent. I have charged all of the batteries in parallel, so they are equalized. Are there any suggestions as to what I should look for during this first charge cycle?

        • Ken Olum
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
            My experience with AGM batteries is that even if you get them new and
            from the same lot and so forth, there will still be very large
            differences in voltage at the end of the charging cycle if you don't
            have some kind of active management.

            Ken
          • Charles Bliss
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
              My experience is the same and even with balancing, they still vary. I have
              been running a set of lifelines with PowerCheqs and am very happy with the
              performance and range. So far, there has been little degradation and I am
              still getting great range. They have only been in the car for about 6
              months so too early to make any conclusions.

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
                Are you monitoring the Lifelines with a Paktrakr or the like? Curious as the Avanti owner has a fresh set of lifelines and is trying to decide on what to add in regards to passive and active management. It is a 114V DC conversion so many of the nice AC battery load aspects aren't present. I like Powerchqes for the around town short trip driving loops.

                Mike R
                97 Force

                --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Bliss" <cbliss@...> wrote:

                > My experience is the same and even with balancing, they still vary. I have
                > been running a set of lifelines with PowerCheqs and am very happy with the
                > performance and range. So far, there has been little degradation and I am
                > still getting great range. They have only been in the car for about 6
                > months so too early to make any conclusions.

              • Charles Bliss
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
                  I am running 12 PowerCheqs, a PackTrakr and a Woodward Display with data
                  logging in my '97 Solectria Force, 156 volt system. The charger is an NLG4
                  with a modified program to match the lifelines. Only problem with the
                  setup is I periodically blow a PowerCheq fuse on high power drive / regen on
                  the freeway, which in turn blows that 1/4 amp fuse on the PakTrakr. No
                  damage has been done to either. I have not noticed any problems with the
                  PowerCheqs on longer drives and regularly drive in excess of 25 miles on a
                  charge.

                  I am running my '93 with 11 Lifelines and individual Soneil chargers.
                  Thankfully I have a spare charger as one has started to malfunction. I have
                  the calibration instructions but have not yet tried recalibration.

                  hint: I would love to find a spare NLG4

                  --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com <mailto:solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com>