Filling the Front Box with Lithium

  • Wolf Packs, Inc.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2010
      Hey Stephen, I was wrong. 24 of the 100 Ah cells (six 4-packs) will
      fit in the front box. It's tight on the ends, but I didn't have to
      push anything.

      Thanks again to Reed Bement for the suggestion of keeping the weight
      on the front tires. Now I'll look into some stock rear springs since
      there's only 186 pounds in the rear box and I don't carry passengers.

      Anybody on this list familiar with how well the Thundersky cells hold
      up to a little bit of vibration? Because the end cell's plastic
      casings are now touching the steel battery box I'm wondering if there
      would be much vibration transmitted there. It's easy at this point to
      move one 4-pack to the rear box and foam insulate the end 4-packs.

      > Just curious. How many of the 4 cell groupings could have fit in
      > the front box? It looks to me that at least 5 could have based on
      > the 2 you have in there in that picture.
      >
      > Stephen Taylor

      Pictures are at:

      http://traildog.blogspot.com

      Paul Martin
      Ashland, Oregon
      1997 Force
    • rctoys@kc.rr.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2010
        everything I have read and done requires the ends of the cells to be against a very solid surface like steel, infact they are so post to be compressed at the ends so they are not able to expand. Foam would allow for too much expansion.

        Just what I have read.

        --
        Brian Nakonechny
        R/C TOYS Inc.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 31, 2010
          Do the "blocks" have end plates and banding around the outside? This
          would keep the pressure constant without relying on the battery box.

          --
          Jim Coate
          *The Electric Tractor Store*

          NOTE: Mail sent to the "NO_REPLY" address will *not* reach me.
          To send me a private message, please follow the directions here:
          http://www.coate.org/contact_jim/
        • Wolf Packs, Inc.
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2010
            Hi Jim,

            > Do the "blocks" have end plates and banding around the outside? This
            > would keep the pressure constant without relying on the battery box.

            Yes, the cells came stainless steel banded into 4-packs with end
            plates. There are pictures at:

            http://traildog.blogspot.com/2010/01/lithium-arrives.html

            To view the entire battery switch blog so far try:

            http://traildog.blogspot.com/

            > in that particular layout, things loop around such that two
            > terminals (center, motor side) have 2/3 of the total voltage for that
            > box right next to each other. And the fuse not in that part of the
            > circuit. Just in case of a dropped wrench, mouse carrying a tin foil
            > wrapper, etc., I like to keep neighboring terminals with as small a
            > delta as practical.

            You make a very good point! I have since moved cells around so this
            was fixed. I made a big note under that picture to warn viewers of the
            issue. I felt is was better to leave it posted and marked as a bad
            example to raise awareness than just remove the picture. I'll look at
            replacing it with a picture of my final arrangement when I get to that
            point.

            With my lead pack I put a rubber protector over one of the neighboring
            terminals so that a dropped wrench or bolt could not contact both
            terminals. I also wrapped all the wrenches with electrical tape, just
            in case. When I get to the hooking up stage I'm toying with the idea
            of using a thin rubber mat to cover the cells I'm not working on. A
            dropped connecting bar could make a mess with all those exposed
            terminals.

            Paul Martin
            1997 Force