Re: rear spring replacement

  • packratdaddy
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 14, 2010
      My 2 cents on the stuck wheel.
      Strike a block of wood against the wheel.
      Get a helper too.

      Does Azure have any specs on springs ?
      They still offer electric cars.
      That may be a stock item with them ?
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 28, 2010
        Been away for awhile.

        The drums on some of the Geo models have what appear to be extra holes in them. Sometimes these line up with a threaded hole in the axle and a screws hold the drum on. But more often there is nothing in the hole but it is threaded for a 8mm bolt and you simply screw 8mm bolts in 2 opposite holes (look for the ones that have solid metal behind them) and tighten them until the drum is under tension and strike it lightly with something hard like a small hammer and the drum will "pop" free.

        If you have a well worn drum you may also have to manually release the brakes shoes to get over the lip worn on the inside of the drum once it is free.

        Mike R
        97 Force

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "James Barton" <james.barton@...> wrote:

        > It is my understanding that the rear springs were custom made for Solectria because of the added weight of the batteries. I am also fighting the stuck wheel problem on my 1997 Solectria Force.
        > Jim Barton

      • Jim Coate
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 31, 2010
          As a follow up, Azure/Solectria confirmed custom springs were used in
          the '97 rear end, but no more are available.

          So at this point I may take my remaining good srping and have a custom
          set made to match, buy a set of stock Geo springs and add air bags
          (CanEV method), or try the 'cowboy' method of getting similar springs
          from the front of a Ford Ranger or maybe a Mustang and then cutting them
          to the correct length by eye/luck.

          The wheel itself I got off by finally removing the spindle nut, pulling
          the wheel & brake drum together, then pounding the drum out of the
          wheel. New bearings and maybe a new drum before it goes back together.

          --
          Jim Coate
          *The Electric Tractor Store*

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 31, 2010
            Stock springs and bags would likely work well. But bagging a small spring like the Geo wouldn't be fun. Having springs made isn't all that expensive if there is a spring shop in your area or find one online. Had new set made for my van and it was around $200 for the pair a few years back.

            Have fun,
            Mike R