rear spring replacement

  • Jim Coate
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 14, 2010
      Are the springs in the rear end stock or something custom?

      I have a 1997 Force 4-door sedan. It has been off the road for a year
      after moving. I'm replacing a bad battery and putting on new
      tires/wheels to get it ready to use again.

      However... the right rear wheel doesn't want to come off. I've been
      through multiple rounds of soaking (Kroil penetrating oil) and heating
      the wheel. Still no luck... getting a big puller is next, then
      demolition methods.

      Whilst working on the wheel, the bottom 6" of the rear coil came loose,
      as in about a 1/2 turn of the spring. Apparently the vibrations from my
      pounding on the wheel cracked a weak spot. The rest of the coil remains
      in place but would likely pop out if used as-is.

      I've also stayed away from coil replacements as being too tricky for a
      driveway repair. So I figure I have to find a good suspension shop (ug)
      and get the car towed (bigger ugh). But if it is a custom coil and not a
      stock Geo part then it is a real headache. ???.

      NOTE: Mail sent to the "NO_REPLY" address will *not* reach me.
      To send me a private message, please follow the directions here:
      http://www.coate.org/contact_jim/
    • Gordon Stallings
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 14, 2010
        So sorry to hear of your spring problem. Can't help you there.

        Concerning the stuck wheel, a lot of cars have this problem. I had
        the same trouble but my car was much newer at the time. Blaster and
        CRC 5-56 did no good. I drove it to a dealer who removed the wheel by
        using a rubber hammer pounding inward. This caused the opposite side
        to pop out. I smeared anti-seize compound on the areas where rust was
        causing the problem and also on the threads for the wheel nuts. No
        more trouble with stuck wheels. I'm now a great believer in anti-
        seize compound.

        --Gordon Stallings--
        1999 Force

        On Jan 14, 2010, at 4:37 AM, Jim Coate wrote:

        > Are the springs in the rear end stock or something custom?
        >
        > I have a 1997 Force 4-door sedan. It has been off the road for a year
        > after moving. I'm replacing a bad battery and putting on new
        > tires/wheels to get it ready to use again.
        >
        > However... the right rear wheel doesn't want to come off. I've been
        > through multiple rounds of soaking (Kroil penetrating oil) and heating
        > the wheel. Still no luck... getting a big puller is next, then
        > demolition methods.
        >
        > Whilst working on the wheel, the bottom 6" of the rear coil came
        > loose,
        > as in about a 1/2 turn of the spring. Apparently the vibrations from
        > my
        > pounding on the wheel cracked a weak spot. The rest of the coil
        > remains
        > in place but would likely pop out if used as-is.
        >
        > I've also stayed away from coil replacements as being too tricky for a
        > driveway repair. So I figure I have to find a good suspension shop
        > (ug)
        > and get the car towed (bigger ugh). But if it is a custom coil and
        > not a
        > stock Geo part then it is a real headache. ???.

      • James Barton
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 14, 2010
          It is my understanding that the rear springs were custom made for Solectria because of the added weight of the batteries. I am also fighting the stuck wheel problem on my 1997 Solectria Force.
          Jim Barton
[...]

        • Bill or Dorothy Swann
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 14, 2010
            Try a bigger hammer.

            Thanks,Bill S
            Ph 832-338-3080
            www.promotingevs.com

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 14, 2010
              Loosen the lug nuts a little, drive around a little. That should work the
              wheels loose.

              Disclaimer: be really careful.

              Somewhere I reacall someone saying that a Mustang spring worked but you had
              to cut a little of it off.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 14, 2010
                My 2 cents on the stuck wheel.
                Strike a block of wood against the wheel.
                Get a helper too.

                Does Azure have any specs on springs ?
                They still offer electric cars.
                That may be a stock item with them ?
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 28, 2010
                  Been away for awhile.

                  The drums on some of the Geo models have what appear to be extra holes in them. Sometimes these line up with a threaded hole in the axle and a screws hold the drum on. But more often there is nothing in the hole but it is threaded for a 8mm bolt and you simply screw 8mm bolts in 2 opposite holes (look for the ones that have solid metal behind them) and tighten them until the drum is under tension and strike it lightly with something hard like a small hammer and the drum will "pop" free.

                  If you have a well worn drum you may also have to manually release the brakes shoes to get over the lip worn on the inside of the drum once it is free.

                  Mike R
                  97 Force

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 31, 2010
                    As a follow up, Azure/Solectria confirmed custom springs were used in
                    the '97 rear end, but no more are available.

                    So at this point I may take my remaining good srping and have a custom
                    set made to match, buy a set of stock Geo springs and add air bags
                    (CanEV method), or try the 'cowboy' method of getting similar springs
                    from the front of a Ford Ranger or maybe a Mustang and then cutting them
                    to the correct length by eye/luck.

                    The wheel itself I got off by finally removing the spindle nut, pulling
                    the wheel & brake drum together, then pounding the drum out of the
                    wheel. New bearings and maybe a new drum before it goes back together.

                    --
                    Jim Coate
                    *The Electric Tractor Store*

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 31, 2010
                      Stock springs and bags would likely work well. But bagging a small spring like the Geo wouldn't be fun. Having springs made isn't all that expensive if there is a spring shop in your area or find one online. Had new set made for my van and it was around $200 for the pair a few years back.

                      Have fun,
                      Mike R