RE: [solectria_ev] Charge profile NLG4

  • Charles Bliss
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010
      What I did was monitor the charger voltage during the last stage as well as
      measuring the voltage on the actual batteries. I then adjusted the final
      stage voltage on the NLG4 until it hit the desired pack voltage. I had to
      change multiple parts of my profile as I switched to AGM batteries.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 5, 2010
        I guess when I saw  (the potential) to draw 9 amps in section three, it seemed odd to me that I would want to continue to Make heat and use (consume) current.

        What set me off: "Section Four of the NLG4 profile that is saved in the files section had no criterion. Yet Section five has a pass over to stop text in the upper right hand corner...." I was unsure why that text is there and what was triggering the pass-over to stop.
        I understand the forever float, I just did not want to waste current at a rate of 9 amps. I too have unplugged the charger from the car leaving the tray heaters on.
        I have resigned to make a summer and winter profile.

        thanks for the input. Mike R and Charles.

        Mike M

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2010
          The charger profile will not put out 9amps in section 3 unless I put a load on the system like the heater or a/c or turn on a lot of something electric.

          The factory profile works equally well summer or winter and the 9 amps is there but never used unless you need to do so.

          The charger is voltage regulated and will only put out the amps required to maintain the float voltage which is very little. If you get in the car with the charger in section 3 and turn something on the charger will maintain the float voltage by using up to 9 amps if needed. This is the best scenario for the batteries.

          Most of the time in section 3 the charger is just doing a pulse of less than 1/2 an amp according to the monolog software. If your charger starts to put out a higher amperage in section 3 and nothing is powered the batteries are not holding a charge. But that will still not be a very high amp number. I look at section 3 totals with the mono software and to see the amount of current used.

          The original Deka gel pack seems to thrive on the original profile. And Solectria recommends the charger be plugged in 24/7.

          My personal choice is to have the batteries on a float all the time* and the pack heaters turned off. Where I live isn't all that cold but the heaters come on and frequently get totally out of sync with each other. (*except as noted in the summer when the OAT is in the 100's)

          The battery heaters and the charger are totally unrelated to each other. Except that the charger monitors the heat in each compartment and regulates charge voltage based upon the highest temperature. I simply removed the fuse for the heaters and leave the charger connected.

          FWIW my relatively new Greensaver pack will sit for many hours coming out of section 2 before the charger does anything in section 3. the same would be true of any relatively strong pack.

          Happy Charging,

          Mike R
          97 Force

          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Mike Merbach <merbach1@...> wrote:

          > I guess when I saw (the potential) to draw 9 amps in section three, it seemed odd to me that I would want to continue to Make heat and use (consume) current.
          >
          > What set me off: "Section Four of the NLG4 profile that is saved in the files section had no criterion. Yet Section five has a pass over to stop text in the upper right hand corner...." I was unsure why that text is there and what was triggering the pass-over to stop.
          > I understand the forever float, I just did not want to waste current at a rate of 9 amps. I too have unplugged the charger from the car leaving the tray heaters on.
          > I have resigned to make a summer and winter profile.
          >
          > thanks for the input. Mike R and Charles.
          >
          > Mike M

        • Mike Merbach
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010
            Thanks Mike R

            This is very helpful, I started to see the AH meter go negative and figured I would boil the pack over night leaving them un-supervised at 9 Amps.

            I guess my ignorance is showing. I am man enough for that. Again thank you.

            Today I begin the bracket to hold the new charger in the old mount.

            Mike