Re: [force_ev] Sudden Battery(?) Death

  • Leonard Tramiel
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 1, 2002
      Well, to top it all off, my back went out yesterday. As a result I'm not
      able to spend much time bent over in the trunk cleaning things up.

      I've peeled off most of the black goop. It was soft and sticky. I think it
      is burned insulation off of the inside of the top of the battery box cover.
      Amazing as it seems from the pictures, I don't know for sure, but there
      doesn't seem to be any visible damage to the battery terminal or the cable.
      I'll get the Windex out and give it a try.

      If anyone, especially Will, would like to take a look at the photos I put
      them on the web at:
      http://www.tramiel.org/solectria1.jpg
      http://www.tramiel.org/solectria2.jpg

      One thing I would like to point out is easy to see in the solectria1
      picture. There is an extra wire going to this connector. I don't know what
      this connection is but I wonder if this is related to the problem.

      I disconnected the three plugs that my manual said to disconnect. They are a
      bit different than the three that Tom described. I hope I did it right.

      -Leonard
    • umarc@hippogryph.com
      Message 35 of 35 , Sep 10, 2002
        Update:

        Today I called the people from whom I bought my charger and went over all
        the specs with them on the phone. They told me the settings are correct,
        and that my actual problem is that Interstate SRM-27 batteries don't last
        well in EV applications due to the high current demand.

        So, it looks like I neeed to shop for new batteries. Does anyone have a
        favorite battery they'd recommend?

        (Mine is a '92 Force, 144 volt system).

        Rob
        umarc@...