RE: [force_ev] Sudden Battery(?) Death

  • Tom Hudson
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 1, 2002
      Thanks for chiming in, Will. It looks to me like the lug on the cable is
      badly deteriorated, but it could be the lighting/angle. I'd be surprised if
      it and the battery terminal are both in good shape, and I hope it's the
      cable lug that's damaged if anything is, because that's easier to replace.

      I had a similar problem turn up on my power chipper/vac, which has an
      electric starter. Something totally dissolved the lug on the wire going to
      the positive terminal of the battery. I got the unit out of storage this
      spring and the lug had simply _dissolved_. Weird.

      I'll keep the computer close by tonight to see what Leonard finds out.

      -Tom

    • umarc@hippogryph.com
      Message 35 of 35 , Sep 10, 2002
        Update:

        Today I called the people from whom I bought my charger and went over all
        the specs with them on the phone. They told me the settings are correct,
        and that my actual problem is that Interstate SRM-27 batteries don't last
        well in EV applications due to the high current demand.

        So, it looks like I neeed to shop for new batteries. Does anyone have a
        favorite battery they'd recommend?

        (Mine is a '92 Force, 144 volt system).

        Rob
        umarc@...