RE: [force_ev] Re: 1993 Solectria Force on Ebay

  • Tom Hudson
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2002
      As Gardner said, best bet is to tow on a dolly with front wheels off the
      ground. I think the manual says you can tow it with all four on the ground
      but you need to be sure the regen is off. I'd use the dolly.

      As for batteries, my recommendation is to get some lead-acids for your first
      pack. Going with other battery types can force you to make a couple of
      non-trivial modifications. In the case of my NiCD upgrade:

      1) Battery box modifications to fit the new battery modules
      2) Wiring changes to the main battery cables -- May be necessary if the
      terminal configuration of the new batteries is different
      3) May need different DC-DC converter. I needed a new one on my Force
      because the finishing charge voltage of the NiCDs was higher than the DC-DC
      converter's rated input
      4) May need a new charger or modifications to your existing charger. I had
      to get mine upgraded to conform to the proper NiCD charging protocols and
      preserve my battery warranty.

      Since you used to work for an EV maker, you're probably not deterred by any
      of this! :-) I'm really happy with my NiCD pack, haven't seen many leads
      for NiMH. I went with NiCDs because the cost was better and I'd heard good
      things about them, especially their lifespan.

      Glad to see you got the car!

      -Tom

      Thomas Hudson

    • JohnMcCain
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2002
        Congradulations, I'm sure you'll love your new Force!

        When I bought mine, I towed it about 400 miles on all four wheels. In
        fact, it came with a tow bar that the power company (ex-owner) used to haul
        it to county fairs and such. No problem towing it, but I actually haven't
        had to since. My model ('92 Geo) has a Solectria custom single speed
        transaxle that simply spins the motor when it's being towed. With the key
        off, no problem at all.

        Mine also came with "dead" batteries... in fact they are dated '98. I
        figured I'd refresh them and use them for a few months... and I'm STILL
        using them. The daily commute is only 25 miles, and still holding up to
        that (But I don't drive it in the cold of winter). Of course, it took 6
        gallons of water to wet them when I got it, and about a dozen cycles to get
        any reasonable range from them.

        Cheers,
        JohnM
        '92 Solectria Force