Re: [force_ev] Re: 1993 Solectria Force on Ebay

  • gardnerh@juno.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2002
      Jim, my personal recommendation based upon my experience with three EVs
      is that you tow it with the front wheels on the tw-wheeled dolly that is
      attached to the tow bar. Don't ever pull it with all four wheels on the
      ground unless the car has a manual transmission and can be set in
      Neutral. Only my Escort conversion with a 5 speed manual can be towed
      with all 4 on the ground.

      Good luck with the car. I have seen SoCal Edison's copy of that vehicle
      and the guy who has driven it exclusively since it was new has nothing be
      the nicest things to say about it.

      Gar Harris

      On Sun, 01 Sep 2002 03:27:59 -0000 "jimpomm" <sarajimdl@...> writes:
      > Hi Everybody ,I have some back messages to catch up on.I just bought
      >
      > the Force for sale on Ebay.Question Can you tow a Force without
      > hurting anything,or would you recommend trailering it.Ive got to
      > move
      > it from Long Island to upstate NY.It was advertised as having an
      > automatic trans.Havent seen it yet so dont know to much.Battery pack
      >
      > is 4 years old with light use,but I imagine Ill need new batteries
      > soon.Anyone have a good lead on nickle metal hydrid batteries,or
      > has
      > anyone here bundled D cell together?I heard some school group at
      > Tour
      > DEl Sol did that.Sorry if this stuff has been discussed before .If
      > so
      > send me to the posts.Thanks Jim PS I worked for Solar Car Corp for a
      >
      > few years so have a bit of experience allready.--- In force_ev@y...,

    • Tom Hudson
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2002
        As Gardner said, best bet is to tow on a dolly with front wheels off the
        ground. I think the manual says you can tow it with all four on the ground
        but you need to be sure the regen is off. I'd use the dolly.

        As for batteries, my recommendation is to get some lead-acids for your first
        pack. Going with other battery types can force you to make a couple of
        non-trivial modifications. In the case of my NiCD upgrade:

        1) Battery box modifications to fit the new battery modules
        2) Wiring changes to the main battery cables -- May be necessary if the
        terminal configuration of the new batteries is different
        3) May need different DC-DC converter. I needed a new one on my Force
        because the finishing charge voltage of the NiCDs was higher than the DC-DC
        converter's rated input
        4) May need a new charger or modifications to your existing charger. I had
        to get mine upgraded to conform to the proper NiCD charging protocols and
        preserve my battery warranty.

        Since you used to work for an EV maker, you're probably not deterred by any
        of this! :-) I'm really happy with my NiCD pack, haven't seen many leads
        for NiMH. I went with NiCDs because the cost was better and I'd heard good
        things about them, especially their lifespan.

        Glad to see you got the car!

        -Tom

        Thomas Hudson

      • JohnMcCain
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2002
          Congradulations, I'm sure you'll love your new Force!

          When I bought mine, I towed it about 400 miles on all four wheels. In
          fact, it came with a tow bar that the power company (ex-owner) used to haul
          it to county fairs and such. No problem towing it, but I actually haven't
          had to since. My model ('92 Geo) has a Solectria custom single speed
          transaxle that simply spins the motor when it's being towed. With the key
          off, no problem at all.

          Mine also came with "dead" batteries... in fact they are dated '98. I
          figured I'd refresh them and use them for a few months... and I'm STILL
          using them. The daily commute is only 25 miles, and still holding up to
          that (But I don't drive it in the cold of winter). Of course, it took 6
          gallons of water to wet them when I got it, and about a dozen cycles to get
          any reasonable range from them.

          Cheers,
          JohnM
          '92 Solectria Force