Re: Ah counter

  • nick@npcimaging.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 18, 2009
      We sometimes see the Ah counter zero out.
      I noticed it seemed to be associated with times when
      there are static discharges when leaving the car.
      As you say, Stephen, it didn't seem to affect the
      charging cycle - the meter would just read a large
      negative number on completion of charging, having
      successfully put in the correct number of Ahs despite
      starting from an incorrect reading.
      We're now approaching 40,000 miles on our NiCd Force.
      I recently swapped out 3 of the MRE100 modules for
      some reconditioned ones and our Brusa is a ~1kW version
      of its former 3kW self so I'm waiting for the courage
      to go in there with the high power soldering iron or
      Wolf to clear the waiting list!
      Nick
    • Stephen Taylor
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 18, 2009
        My problem with the occassional resetting to 0 of the AH counter started after I replaced the motor with one from my other Force.   It would occur almost exclusively after the car started up from a stop with a slight jerk.  The jerk, however, didn't always cause the problem.  Since it started after a motor change, it makes me think that the replacement motor is putting out some kind of noise that is casuing the zeroing.  As a pure experiment, I was thinking I would replace the NiCD controller with the one that was originally mated to the current motor  and see if the problem disappears.  The extra controller is programmed for lead acid batteries so I don't know how compatible it is.  I'm sure it would be fine under normal circumstances, but in the extremes of either a full charge with the NiCD batteries or a low charge, I'm not really sure.

        With respect to charging as I guess we have both seen, the zeroing doesn't effect the fullness of the charge.  This AH counting the wrong way, which just started happening a few weeks ago, does effect the charging.  It hasn't been a great difference, a couple of AHs per drive, but it is adding up.  I'm wondering if humidity has any effect here since it has been wet most of the time I've noticed the problem.  Then again, I am in Atlanta and it has been wet alot the last couple of months.

        Funny, I disconnected the charger and left it sitting unplugged for a day or so and then plugged it back in and the AH counter seemed to work perfectly for the 15 miles I drove after that.

        I've got about 28,500 on my car, but I replaced all the batteries about 5 years ago when several of them ruptured so I think I have about 15,000 miles on this pack

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2009
          For those that are interested, I am nearly 100% certain that I found the cause for the AH Counter issues of counting the wrong way sometimes and resetting to zero on other occassions. My car did not have the RF shield installed on the large connector between the motor and controller. Once I installed a shield on the connector, the AH counter in the car and the pilot meter on the NiCD charger magically worked properly together. They now read exactly the same after each discharge, soemthing they haven't done in a year or more.

          Stephen Taylor

          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, <nick@...> wrote:

          > We sometimes see the Ah counter zero out.
          > I noticed it seemed to be associated with times when
          > there are static discharges when leaving the car.
          > As you say, Stephen, it didn't seem to affect the
          > charging cycle - the meter would just read a large
          > negative number on completion of charging, having
          > successfully put in the correct number of Ahs despite
          > starting from an incorrect reading.
          > We're now approaching 40,000 miles on our NiCd Force.
          > I recently swapped out 3 of the MRE100 modules for
          > some reconditioned ones and our Brusa is a ~1kW version
          > of its former 3kW self so I'm waiting for the courage
          > to go in there with the high power soldering iron or
          > Wolf to clear the waiting list!
          > Nick

        • Charles Bliss
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2009
            Is that the metal mesh with a zipper thing?

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 5, 2009
              Yes that is it.  Obviously more important in my car than I ever believed.

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 5, 2009
                Now that I have my AH counter problem fixed, I've put the car up on eBay for sale, Item
                280433400810.  I am selling because, I have just recently taken possession of a converted Yaris from EVII.  It uses an Azure drive system and Kokham lithium batteries.  Anyways, having multiple EVs doesn't allow me tyo drive them like I should.

                Shortly after it sells, I will also be selling my spare AMC325 controller, since I will no longer have a Force with the proper motor.  My other Force has the current DMOC controller and AC24 motor in it.

                Stephen Taylor

              • kevin gildea
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 5, 2009
                  I have seen several of these zippered shields in the past, some in seriously
                  degraded condition...does anyone know a good source to purchase these? Kevin

                  On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 8:11 AM, Stephen Taylor <sparrow262@...> wrote:

                  > Yes that is it. Obviously more important in my car than I ever believed.
                  >
                  > Stephen
                  >
                  > --- On Sat, 12/5/09, Charles Bliss <cbliss@...<cbliss%40cbliss.com>>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > From: Charles Bliss <cbliss@... <cbliss%40cbliss.com>>
                  > Subject: RE: [solectria_ev] Re: Ah counter
                  >
                  > To: solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com <solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > Date: Saturday, December 5, 2009, 12:59 AM
                  >

                  > Is that the metal mesh with a zipper thing?

                • Jim Davis
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 5, 2009
                    The zippered sleeve is an implementation of a 'Faraday cage', a metal meshed enclosure which is designed to suppress (bounce around inside until energy is dissipated) radio-frequency noise.

                    I don't know where to buy replacements, but one can be built-- perhaps from aluminum screening materials?

                    > degraded condition...does anyone know a good source to
                    > purchase these? Kevin
                    >
                    > On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 8:11 AM, Stephen Taylor <sparrow262@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >

                    > > Yes that is it. Obviously more important in my
                    > car than I ever believed.
                    > >
                    > > Stephen
                    > >
                    > > --- On Sat, 12/5/09, Charles Bliss <cbliss@...<cbliss%40cbliss.com>>
                    > > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > From: Charles Bliss <cbliss@...
                    > <cbliss%40cbliss.com>>
                    > > Subject: RE: [solectria_ev] Re: Ah counter
                    > >
                    > > To: solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com
                    > <solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > > Date: Saturday, December 5, 2009, 12:59 AM
                    > >

                    > > Is that the metal mesh with a zipper thing?
                    > >
                    > > From: solectria_ev@ yahoogroups. com

                  • Arthur Marquardt
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 5, 2009
                      Jim:
                      Does the screen need to be grounded to the chassis?
                      Art

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 5, 2009
                        No, it just needs to make a good connection to the metal shielded cables on both sides of the connector.

                        Stephen Taylor