charger question pfc 2000+

  • Joel Meyn
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 14, 2009
      does anyone has experience with this charger: pfc 2000+

      I installed to augment my original equipment 220 v charger with 110v for flexibility regarding available voltage (I have been advised to not run the 220v charger on 110v, even though it will with supplied adapter cable).
      I notice that the charger will seldom bring the display down to 00.00
      Unlike the 220v charger there appears to be no equalizing charge with the pfc 2000+. The guy who sold me the charger and installed my new batteries commented that my new pack of batteries is "softer" than the previous set and thinks the charger is fine.
      If I use the oem charger on 110v the equalizing occurs (but runs on for hours until I chicken out and unplug the charger).
      Also the car experiences regen shudder and squeal for extended time: up to 10.00 or higher on the display. On the flip side I took an extended drive to test the new batteries and found the car won't sustain "power" or "normal" mode after reaching 30.00 on the display, only taking 70 amps according to analog gage. I have taken this to mean that the batteries have not been getting equalization during the time since new batteries were installed last Spring and thus some batteries are not fully charged.
      thanks for any insights from the group
      Joel in Sparky 96 Force (color: red!)
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 14, 2009
        One thing to check on the BC3300 chargers are that the current and voltage
        are what they realy are...

        I noticed my charger was not fully charging my batteries too (never going
        negative), I thaught that perhaps it had the wrong charge profile in it
        (my truck did come with old panasonic EV1 batteries in it)...

        I connected it to the laptop and ran the monlog program and looked at what
        is was doing.

        The voltage that the charger was reading (displayed in the monlog program)
        was 6 volts less then the actual voltage read at the pack. It was always a
        constant 6 volts off.

        I never did fix it, I just went in and bumped up the charge profile by 6
        volts. :)

        The current that it thaught it was putting out matched according to my
        clamp meter.

        It consistently charges around 2 amp-hour negative on the meter. :)

        I don't know if this is the same type of problem, but it would not hurt to
        check...

        Wolf
        *wags his tail*
        www.wolftronix.com

        > does anyone has experience with this charger: pfc 2000+
        >
        > I installed to augment my original equipment 220 v charger with 110v for
        > flexibility regarding available voltage (I have been advised to not run
        > the 220v charger on 110v, even though it will with supplied adapter
        > cable).
        > I notice that the charger will seldom bring the display down to 00.00
        > Unlike the 220v charger there appears to be no equalizing charge with the
        > pfc 2000+. The guy who sold me the charger and installed my new batteries
        > commented that my new pack of batteries is "softer" than the previous set
        > and thinks the charger is fine.
        > If I use the oem charger on 110v the equalizing occurs (but runs on for
        > hours until I chicken out and unplug the charger).
        > Also the car experiences regen shudder and squeal for extended time: up to
        > 10.00 or higher on the display. On the flip side I took an extended drive
        > to test the new batteries and found the car won't sustain "power" or
        > "normal" mode after reaching 30.00 on the display, only taking 70 amps
        > according to analog gage. I have taken this to mean that the batteries
        > have not been getting equalization during the time since new batteries
        > were installed last Spring and thus some batteries are not fully charged.
        > thanks for any insights from the group
        > Joel in Sparky 96 Force (color: red!)

      • Charles Bliss
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 14, 2009
          I replaced my batteries with AGMs. That pretty much meant I needed to
          change the profile. What I discovered was that what the monolog program
          showed came pretty close to what I had programmed but was different than
          what I was measuring on the batteries.

          I modified the voltages in the NLG4 profile until the charging voltages at
          the batteries matched what the manufacturer said they should be. I also
          made sure I was doing this with the batteries close to 77 deg F so I didn't
          have to take temperature compensation into account. Around here, in the
          "Fall", it is a simple matter of picking the right time of day and put a
          little mileage on the batteries. This is time consuming because you have to
          watch and wait for each of the charge cycles.

          My AH meter is not working so I have to "check" voltage periodically to
          establish State Of Charge.

          BTW: For those that need to swap out chargers, consider one per battery.
          That is what I did in my '93. It pretty much guarantees balance and is
          about the same price as one big one. I have 11 Soneils in my '93. Charges
          at 5 amps. Eleven of them Combined, that is about all you can plug into
          120VAC anyway.

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 15, 2009
            Charles, that is a great Idea. did you just rack the singles across the truck and wire down to a common power supply point.
            Also that guy who is selling the force on ebay has more of them! ( he knows what they are worth and has the reserve set accordingly)

            Wolf: I see room for one more in the line up. To where would I be shipping I am in 54912.
            I am going to send you a photo of the Zener that I changed the last three times this Bursa quit.
            Mike

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 15, 2009
              In the '93 Force, I have a "rack" of 5 in the front and a rack of 3 and 4
              in the rear. The front rack only has 4 chargers installed as I am leaving
              space to put in a 5th battery to bring the pack up to 144V.

              I have terminal strips wired through fuses then to the batteries.

              One problem I have had multiple chargers, when the batteries are warm, one
              or two may come up and go into float prematurely and there is nothing to
              sense this. What I do is turn off those chargers that go to float early,
              let the batteries sit for an hour then plug them back in. I don't think
              that would happen with a single charger but I run BatCheqs in the '97 which
              seems to help a lot.