Re: [solectria_ev] Re: EV's and bad brakes

  • Dottie And Bill Swann
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2009
      I am not extatic about the geo brakes, but for now I am focusing on an E-10. The mechanic pointed out that the front disks were pitted, and should be turned. That will be the next incremental fix. Since the E- 10 is somewhat heavier than the Geo, it seems logical that the vacuum level should be higher. The truck has 4 of the vacuum pumps that the Geo has, as well as a 4" dia x 24" long piece of PVC for storage.

      Bill S

    • michael eastman
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2009
        I had planned on puchasing a solectria but ended up with a conversion. It uses an electric pump as well. The braking is marginal likely due to the weight of the batteries, but I've noticed a delay of about a second when I press the brakes for it to feel like there is any power assist. I've purchased a vacuum reservoir in an attempt to fix this. I'll let you know if it helps. It looks like electroautomotive sells an electric pump with a reservoir suggesting the idea may have merit. I think my electric pump kicks in when the pressure is under 18.  I'm not sure how low it drops when the brakes are first applied, but it's under 18 as the pump kicks in every time you hit the brakes. I agree that if the pump doesn't kick in when you are just sitting there you likely don't have a significant leak.

        Mike